We spent six nights at Zighy Bay in early November. It is an extremely relaxing place, in a spectacular setting. The design of the resort in the style of a typical Omani village is surprisingly authentic and the fact that we were able to go barefoot all day and at dinner, really contributed to our relaxing week.
We had the standard villa and loved the space, both inside and out. The villa was very well appointed, everything functioned well and the housekeeping staff kept the place clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable and there was a great selection of pillows to choose from. The privacy offered by the villa was also great. We very much enjoyed spending our days relaxing by our own pool and the beach was literally a minute away.
We were particularly impressed by the amount of drinking water left for us each day and again in the evening. There is nothing worse than being in an expensive resort and being stung for simple drinking water. At Zighy Bay this is not the case at all and even the bottled water served at meals is very reasonably priced and we loved the resort's policy of producing their own water on site, rather than shipping in expensive brands. The tea and coffee selection in the villa was also excellent.
The food in general was very good - a really impressive spread at breakfast, where we particularly enjoyed the filled arabic breads cooked on request, and good menus in both the Summer House and the Spice Market. However, were were really irritated by the complete lack of information regarding the buffets. There were two buffet evenings during our stay. The first was casually mentioned to us by our butler on the phone, when calling him about another matter and we didn't get all the information required. The second we learned about only as staff were setting up for it. On both occasions, because of the buffets, a la carte menus were only on offer in one of the restaurants. We would have liked to have better forewarning of these events, so that we could plan where we wanted to eat accordingly. We did eat at the Arabian buffet, which was ok, but the standard of the food could not be compared with that of the a la carte menu in either restaurant, and buffet style meals, frankly, are not what we like at a resort of this level.
Beware also of the Shua Shack experience. The service was very slow, and if you are a couple, you are made to share the table with others, which we found awkward (also on the night we went, there was an alcohol ban for Omani New Year which made socialising even MORE awkward!) Again, the quality and also quantity of the food served is nowhere near the same standard as the a la carte restaurants.
We were fortunate to get a table at Sense on the Edge (it was only open three nights a week when were there). It was a special experience, both in terms of the location and the high-end cooking and was probably one of the highlights of our stay. If it's something you really think you will want to do, we would advise booking on your arrival, to avoid disappointment.
The bar is good, with extremely reasonably priced cocktails, even outside Happy Hour. In fact, we were very surprised at how little this bar was used by other guests.
We both had massages at the spa, which was excellent and the whole process from booking the appointments to welcoming us for our treatments was very professionally handled (the staff member from the Azores is particularly friendly and efficient).
We also did the Dhow Cruise, which was a beautiful experience, but, we felt, very overpriced, given that we have done similar trips in resorts all over the world, at far more reasonable rates.
Finally, we would question the value of having a butler. Our butler was pleasant but did not follow up on our first request without a reminder and he also gave us incorrect information regarding the availability of the a la carte menus on one of the buffet evenings.
All in all, Zighy is a lovely spot for a relaxing beach holiday and we would consider returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The eighteen acres self-contained Zighy Bay is set on a 1 mile (1.6 Kilometers) stretch of sandy beach fringed with rugged dramatic mountains and sea at the northern peninsula of Musandam. It features some of the most beautiful sandy beaches of Zighy Bay, temperate climate both summer and winter including an award-winning Six Senses Spa and Wellness Centre spanned over more than 20,450 square feet (1,900 square meters). As the first Six Senses resort in Middle East, Six Senses Zighy Bay blends exceptional guest experiences with a unique style - authentic, personal, adapt seamlessly to Middle East especially to Omani cultures, sustainable and in harmony with individual surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Agoda, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Southall Travel, MrandMrsSmith, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Six Senses Zighy Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Six Senses Zighy Bay Hotel Zighy Bay
- 6 Senses Zighy Bay
- Zighy Bay Six Senses Hideaway