“Spectacular setting, great place to relax”

Six Senses Zighy Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Geneva
“Spectacular setting, great place to relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We spent six nights at Zighy Bay in early November. It is an extremely relaxing place, in a spectacular setting. The design of the resort in the style of a typical Omani village is surprisingly authentic and the fact that we were able to go barefoot all day and at dinner, really contributed to our relaxing week.

We had the standard villa and loved the space, both inside and out. The villa was very well appointed, everything functioned well and the housekeeping staff kept the place clean and tidy. The bed was very comfortable and there was a great selection of pillows to choose from. The privacy offered by the villa was also great. We very much enjoyed spending our days relaxing by our own pool and the beach was literally a minute away.

We were particularly impressed by the amount of drinking water left for us each day and again in the evening. There is nothing worse than being in an expensive resort and being stung for simple drinking water. At Zighy Bay this is not the case at all and even the bottled water served at meals is very reasonably priced and we loved the resort's policy of producing their own water on site, rather than shipping in expensive brands. The tea and coffee selection in the villa was also excellent.

The food in general was very good - a really impressive spread at breakfast, where we particularly enjoyed the filled arabic breads cooked on request, and good menus in both the Summer House and the Spice Market. However, were were really irritated by the complete lack of information regarding the buffets. There were two buffet evenings during our stay. The first was casually mentioned to us by our butler on the phone, when calling him about another matter and we didn't get all the information required. The second we learned about only as staff were setting up for it. On both occasions, because of the buffets, a la carte menus were only on offer in one of the restaurants. We would have liked to have better forewarning of these events, so that we could plan where we wanted to eat accordingly. We did eat at the Arabian buffet, which was ok, but the standard of the food could not be compared with that of the a la carte menu in either restaurant, and buffet style meals, frankly, are not what we like at a resort of this level.

Beware also of the Shua Shack experience. The service was very slow, and if you are a couple, you are made to share the table with others, which we found awkward (also on the night we went, there was an alcohol ban for Omani New Year which made socialising even MORE awkward!) Again, the quality and also quantity of the food served is nowhere near the same standard as the a la carte restaurants.

We were fortunate to get a table at Sense on the Edge (it was only open three nights a week when were there). It was a special experience, both in terms of the location and the high-end cooking and was probably one of the highlights of our stay. If it's something you really think you will want to do, we would advise booking on your arrival, to avoid disappointment.

The bar is good, with extremely reasonably priced cocktails, even outside Happy Hour. In fact, we were very surprised at how little this bar was used by other guests.

We both had massages at the spa, which was excellent and the whole process from booking the appointments to welcoming us for our treatments was very professionally handled (the staff member from the Azores is particularly friendly and efficient).

We also did the Dhow Cruise, which was a beautiful experience, but, we felt, very overpriced, given that we have done similar trips in resorts all over the world, at far more reasonable rates.

Finally, we would question the value of having a butler. Our butler was pleasant but did not follow up on our first request without a reminder and he also gave us incorrect information regarding the availability of the a la carte menus on one of the buffet evenings.

All in all, Zighy is a lovely spot for a relaxing beach holiday and we would consider returning.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear GenevaBeach_fans

I would like to thank you for taking time to review your stay in November this year. In particular I would like to express my thanks for such a detailed report.

The fact that you enjoyed the setting, the uncomplicated approach to the stay, the food and in general the services provided is good to hear.

I have discussed the Shua Shack service and meal experience with the corresponding team. Thank you for highlighting this to me. As for the resort not being able to offer alcohol on religious holidays here in the country, this is dictated by the Royal Oman Police of which we were informed only 1 day prior. This too was communicated to all of our guests through a letter from myself. Please accept my apologies should you not have received it during your stay.

I have, since receiving your comments, spoken to the butlers to ensure that a better communication to you, our guest, is done with regard of promoting our dining experiences. This will, in future, hopefully ensure that all of our guests are fully informed on any special offerings during the stay.

Please do let me know if I can assist you in a potential return visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay and the beautiful province of Musandam in the Sultanate of Oman.

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at Six Senses 3 nights to rest after a rigorous tour. It really is relaxing, with a beautiful beach and inviting warm water. It is quite laid-back---you can really just be barefoot and relaxed here. It is a dramatic setting, with mountains behind and sea in front. We were quite surprised at the number of children here, but there is a Kid's program, so it made sense. We just didn't know that ahead of time. The kids were generally quiet and this was not a problem. Food was good, and everything was cleaned and groomed constantly. Our villa was spacious, and we enjoyed the private pool. I especially loved the outdoor shower. The service the first night at dinner was slow, and sometimes the drinks in the bar were slow to arrive, but what's the rush, anyway? The breakfast buffet was above average, and delicious, with excellent variety and quality. This was a great place to relax. We didn't even use the spa or do any sports, although both were available.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PoisonPrincess
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear PoisonPrincess

Thank you very much for taking time to review your stay at the resort in October of this year. It is good to know that you had enjoyed your brief stay and that the team, the services, the facilities and the setting were to your liking.

Your visit coincided with the autumn school holidays in Europe which explains the slightly higher average number of children in the resort during October. As you rightfully mentioned, with our Chaica's Club (kids club) and teenage club, we do offer great facilities for them.

Please allow me to apologise for the mentioned delay in restaurant service during your first night's dinner and the Zighy Bar. Both teams have been briefed and this has been addressed as well with all concerned that it should not reoccur. On a positive note, I appreciate very much your kind comments regarding the quality of the breakfast. Thank you for this.

I can be reached, at your disposal, for any assistance should you wish to visit our resort in the future or wish to experience on of our other Six Senses Resorts.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed for three nights at Zighy Bay in October, I travelled with my wife & three children aged 8,6 & 2 after staying at the Al Qasr in Dubai. We arrived by speed boat which the children loved & were swiftly taken to our Villa by our butler Rashid. The Villa was absolutely stunning, the children loved the private pool & Rashid who was brilliant throughout our stay explained everything to us & made us feel more than at home straight away. We loved the fact that you could walk straight out of our Villa gates onto the beautiful beach & into the warm sea. We enjoyed all the restaurants especially the Summer House & we would highly recommend the in Villa barbecue. The Spa was also wonderful & the children loved the kids club especially movie time every evening. With Zighy Bay being only two hours from Dubai it is a great place for a dual holiday, we can't wait to go back again next year.

1 Thank jameswintle
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear jameswintle

I would like to express my sincere thanks for taking time in reviewing your stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay on the occasion of your family's visit in October this year. It's always good to read that the children were happy and that you enjoyed the villa. We certainly do look forward to your return visit next year, especially Jenny and Myrna who will look forward to welcoming your children back to the Chaica's Club.

Rest assured that all your praises will be shared with the entire team.

Please do let me know if I can assist in anything prior to the return trip. As the similar time next year will again be a busy time, I always recommend to organise whatever we can in advance.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Have just returned from a 3 night stay at zighy bay having taken 3 of our nephews. The 2 bed villa was beautiful very spacious and the pool a real bonus. The setting of the hotel was amazing with the mountains as a backdrop, quite breathtaking. The cinema evening on the beach was very unique. However we experienced very poor service from the summerhouse restaurant on 2 evenings having waited 1 hour in between courses (not what I expect from a 5 star hotel charging very high prices) there was also no service around the main pool with the only member of staff available working behind the beach bar. My only other criticism would be regarding the butler service, i would never expect someone to unpack for me but it would have been nice if our cases had been taken upstairs. Our butler kumar explained very little to us as he took a call on his mobile and left. We have left this resort with very mixed feelings!

3 Thank renhen6
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear renhen6

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the resort this October. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments about the villa set up, the Cinema Paradiso and the setting.

Please allow me to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the issues you had encountered in the restaurant, pool and the services of your butler. The issues have since been addressed with a lll concerned, and I can assure you that we endeavour to meet all of our guest expectations during their stay. This was clearly not the case in this instance and for this I can only apologise.

I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back to our resort. I stand at your disposal should you wish to discuss your points further with me. My direct email address is: axel@sixsenses.com.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our first impressions of this resort were not favourable. We found the property to be overly rustic and our pool villa to be very basic. We were also not impressed by the resort landscaping (or rather the lack of it). However, during the course of our 5 night stay, the property grew on us and we ended up having a great time.

Positives:

- Very unique setting between craggy mountains and an azure sea. I haven't seen anything like it before

- Great service. Our butler Julius was brilliant and couldn't do enough for us

- Good food at Summer House

- Interesting activity options: we went on a microlight flight which was amazing, as well as on snorkelling and dhow trips

- Excellent kid's club. Our 3.5 year old was kept completely entertained by the variety of activities on offer

- Attractive main pool and beach area

- Outstanding spa. Steve Harvey is brilliant and his "integrative bodywork" massage was an experience

Things I didn't like as much:

- Landscaping was not to my taste - would have appreciated a little more greenery

- Pool villa is very basic (especially the bathroom) and has no view. Not what I expected at this price. Bed was overly soft and quite uncomfortable

- Salt water pool (which is the larger pool) is not used because there is no bar or food service nearby and the pool floor is very rough. This results in crowding at the main pool

- Not enough food options. Their speciality restaurant was booked solid when we arrived and we couldn't get a table despite spending 5 nights at the resort. Spice Market is very average so we ended up eating at Summer House more than we would have liked

- Everything is very expensive (food, drinks, activities, etc.) Understand that the location is remote, but prices for food were still quite breathtaking

Room Tip: Beach villas are a big improvement over the basic pool villas
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear sohlic

I would like to thank you for your detailed review about your stay with your family at Six Senses Zighy Bay in October of this year. It's good to know that you enjoyed the visit and that the style and philosophy of the resort led to you having a great time.

Your comments, both positive and negative, have been taken on board in the constructive manner which I am sure that they were meant as. Kindly allow me to explain that, in order to not waste water in the resort, we do not promote large artificially watered lawns. Instead, all of the plants, trees or bushes around the resort are indigenous to the region and are either fruit bearing or have a purpose. Everything is then harvested for the use by our culinary team in it's offerings for the guests.

We are in the process of constructing a beach bar at the new salt water pool. This will be completed hopefully before the end of the year in order offer some refreshments to our guests using this facility. Until then, and out of the licensing reasons as per rules and regulations of the country, we will not be able to offer food or drinks around this pool.

I have taken your comments regarding the choice of food in the restaurants and the prices into consideration and will review them with the team to ensure that we meet our guests expectations at all time. Thank you for this.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss any of this further or if I can assist with any arrangements for a, hopeful, return visit.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I loved this resort and cannot wait to go back we found service first class all the staff had a smile on there face and alway s happy to help we had the most amazing dinner sense on the edge (book before you go ) to avoid dissapointment . It would be nice if they did high tea so you could enjoy the wonderful view s the resturant manager really did have a passion for his job and happily talk you through the food and wine s our room was just perfect as was the room attendant he had a fine eye and missed nothing again alway s had a smile and so polite we were lucky to have have beach villa the lovley butler had extra sun bed s placed on the beach so we could catch the sun in the villa and later in the day on the beach again nothing was any trouble the view s take your breath away especially on the microlite so to the all the staff and resort manager thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear JulieJarvis,

Please allow me to express my gratitude about your positive comments regarding your previous stay at the resort in October of this year. The team and I are very happy to read that you enjoyed this visit. I do agree with your recommendation, especially over busy periods, to make advance bookings for our fine dining restaurant, Sense on the Edge, as well as the Six Senses Spa. Both have a limited availability and are extremely popular with our guests. I have noted your request to potentially offer a high tea at the restaurant on the top of the mountain and will look into this opportunity for the next season.

Thank you again for all of your praise and rest assured that I will certainly pass this on to the hosts of our unique and special resort.

Please feel free to contact me personally if I can assist you for a return visit in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just go ... the pool villa is more than adequate accomodation price wise. Its stylish, very comfortable and has all the mod cons you will want . The outdoor pool is just a god send. The beach is two minutes walk away , maximum so don't waste your money getting the beach fronted one.

Food in the restaurants is exceptionally good. Wine is not as horrendously priced as a thought although its certainly not cheap.

The staff are superb, whatever their job. Genuinely happy to help with a smile. Not overly intrusive at all but always ready if you need something. The people that moaned about the staff seemed to be the ones that treated them like 'staff' - try being pleasant ;)

Plenty to do from the spa/gym to water skiing, paragliding, swimming, boat trips, to relaxing by the pool but the resort probably not ideal for the really small children.

Room Tip: pool villa sleeps up to 5 (one double , 3 singles . 5 would be cramped. We had 3 of us and two were...
1 Thank paul a
Dear paul a,

I would like to express my thanks for your review about your recent stay at the resort in October of this year. Thank you as well for the kind words regarding the facilities, the experiences, spa, the food and especially the hosts of the resort. Rest assured that these comments will be shared respectively with the team.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back here or in one of our resorts in either Thailand, Vietnam, Maldives or Jordan. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any assistance in the the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
#3 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!