La Mezza Luna
Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa(Castelvecchio Pascoli)(Great Value!)
US$361
US$301
US$85
Priceline
Park Hotel Regina(Bagni di Lucca)(Great Value!)
US$69
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Hotel Bridge(Bagni di Lucca)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Ristorante Milano(Borgo a Mozzano)
All reviewspizzatiramisualexcookingwinesrecipepreparationluccahospitalityhost
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Rita and her partner Alex and family run a really great operation with wonderful apartments and the restaurant. This is very clean and economical place to stay. Great beds and comfy pillows and linens, spectacular views across the valley, and the kitchen is stocked well for an extended stay. But have dinner in their restaurant, the food is equal to some of the finest in Lucca which I had the pleasure of enjoying, but their prices are more reasonable and the portions generous The hospitality is superb. The train from Lucca runs up the Sercchio valley and stops at all the significant towns. Buses connect to the hiltowns so you can really get around without a car, but having one takes you to some other places outside of the towns. Their place is a short 5 blocks from the Train station and slightly uphill as is the case in this region, but is doable with roller luggage or a backpack, there is always a Taxi at the station if you prefer not to deal with baggage. The public bus, a block away, runs up to Barga and return and this is the best way to get there rather than a car and deal with parking.. I am a seasoned traveler and this was my 5th trip to Italy and I highly recommend this place. The people from Scotland's review comes from obviously unseasoned tourists sounding like they expected a full service hotel, these are self catering apartments and two ensuite B & B's that are just great places.

Room Tip: All rooms have view of the valley and Apuan Apinine mountains
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank W0rldtraveler808
Lamezzaluna, Proprietario at La Mezza Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Thank you so much for coming to La Mezzaluna.
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in Barga soon.
Thank you so much for your kind words, it is very much appreciated .
Best regards
Rita and Alex

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have just moved to Italy and was expecting to move into my newly renovated home at the end of August 2011 after a 3 week vacation north of Barga with my children. Needless to say, at the end of August my children went home and I was left to find other accommodation as my house was not ready. I rented a house for 4 weeks in a mountain top village (not exactly convenient) at huge cost and after my dog was poisoned for the 2nd time (rat poison) decided that I needed to move out the same day. La Mezzaluna provided some much needed help very quickly. Rita put me in an apartment that had the most beautiful view of Pania Secco (mountain) and was nothing other than accommodating. A friendly welcome and throughout my weeks stay was extremely supporting and helpful.

La Mezzaluna is close to the railway station which makes it easy to jump on a train and visit Lucca (a must), Florence, Viareggio (beach), or even to Castelnuovo di Garfagnana. The Garfagnana is wedged between the Apuane Alpi and the Appenino Alpi, which obviously means a very hilly/mountainous landscape. La Mezzaluna is situated on a hill and therefore if you are not in a car and if you do not want to use public transport, then you need to be very fit if you want to walk to places like Barga - the beautiful medieval hilltop town.

Thankyou Rita and family for your help and support - I will be back on a regular basis for the delicious pizzas'. Looking forward to seeing the place after the refurbishments are finished.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Diva1308
Lamezzaluna, Proprietario at La Mezza Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Hi, thank you so much for your review.
It was a pleasure meeting you.
I am happy that you are now in your new house and settlling down well.
Molly is now keeping well too I hear.
Come down to La Mezzaluna any time, for a pizza or even a coffee in the afternoon.
The painting of the restaurant is now finished and looking good.
Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Rita and Alex

Reviewed 6 August 2010

The accommodation here is clean & economical, however what really makes this experience work is the environment created through a combination of location and the efforts of Rita, the host.

You are surrounded by mountains, trees and beautiful views - so it is worth hiring a vehicle for convenience. You can walk to Barga - the nearest place for activity, however the roads are dark and steep in places so a car is the best bet.

Rita and her partner Alex are great fun. We were involved in their kareoke practice and were made to feel very weclome and confortable for our whole stay. We were offered lifts when we did not want to take our car so we could have a drink and any information we requested was provided.

We often ended up sitting chatting with Rita over a beer or two in the bar.

There is a lovely family type atmosphere to The Mezza Luna and it feels very much that you get out what you put in.

A great trip hepled by our hosts and their advice & accomodation. Hope to return one day.

Local pool in Barga is lovely and only 5 mins drive (kids pool there too). Various restaurants all within a short drive. Barga itself is beautiful and worth a walk round and up both day and night, make sure you get up to the church right at the top.

We had a great experience here. Hope you do too

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suppose
Lamezzaluna, Owner at La Mezza Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Thank You very much.
I am glad you enjoyed yourselves and it was a pleasure meeting you and all the wedding party,
Good luck to you both .
Have a wonderful day on the 13th, will be thinking of you.
Rita

Reviewed 8 June 2010

just back from my second holiday at the wonderful la mezza luna as always the room was spotlessly clean and fresh clean towels every day as i said in my last review you have to try ritas food to belive how good it is this also applies to ricardos pizza in a country with world famous cusine this place has the best i have ever tasted never have i found a place i find so relaxing and i have never stayed anywhere where the owner makes you feel this welcome so much so i was telling her by the end of the holiday that she was my auntie but thats just the way she makes you feel id take that over your big hotels any day i cannot recomend this place highly enough

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank Davylumsden
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I have just returned with my husband and son from one of the best holidays we've ever had. Thankyou so much Rita, Alex, Ricardo and Daniella. We found our room very spacious , airy and comfortable with everything provided,. Clean towels and plenty of them every day, plenty of tea and coffee and even a hairdryer. The room was cleaned thouroughly every day.
Rita is a fantastic cook and we had lovely meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner with plenty of everything. The wine is delicious and recommended.
Rita and Alex are the perfect hosts and we have come home feeling as if we're part of their family.
We cannot wait to plan our next visit

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple