“Awesome location and great accomodations”

Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Port Moody B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Awesome location and great accomodations”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My three night visit to the Mainstay Oasis was a welcome break from the hotels I usually stay in while traveling. Mary Ellen and Barry were excellent hosts, the room was comfy and quiet, and the food was awesome. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Located in a nice quiet residential neighborhood.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
TopazBritishColumbia, Owner at Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you that we had an opportunity to provide the BnB alternative to your work related travelling. We like to give personal yet private experiences to anyone regardless of there reasons for accommodation. Your review is helpful for other business people and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
seattle
Reviewed 15 October 2013

What a beautiful setting and lovely accommodations! Mary Ellen was attentive and thoughtful. I enjoyed the proximity to the terrific trail around the inlet for a long morning walk. The location along the waterfront was enticing. Plenty of hearty breakfast - loved the porridge with cream. Good luck with your future visitors!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side - the other room is quite dark.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
I'm glad the sun shone during your Fall visit to Port Moody. You were able to take advantage of running the Shoreline Trail that follows the crescent shaped estuary of Burrard Inlet. We thank you for reviewing our water front BnB and wish you "happy trails" in life.
Port Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just returned from a weekend at Mainstay Bed and Breakfast. This lovely, beautifully furnished home was a great find, and exactly the oasis we were looking for. The home, the accommodations, the waterfront view, and the hosts offered us the perfect blend of comfort, picturesque surroundings, and privacy, along with attentive, welcoming, and helpful service. Our hosts, Mary Ellen and Barry, were kind, and included thoughtful details (mini-fridge with water and juice available, chocolates by our bedside) so that we felt very well taken care of. Our room was very comfortable and clean with a beautiful view. A highlight for us was eating our meals on the patio overlooking the Burrard Inlet waters, with the moon shining overhead, and seeing a seal poke its head up from the water. The location is great, a short drive to Belcarra Beach and Sasamat Lake, and about 35 minutes from downtown Vancouver. We will definitely be back, and we are already anticipating another getaway. Thanks Mary Ellen and Barry for a great weekend of rest and relaxation.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
TopazBritishColumbia, Owner at Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Hello H.C. Thank you for choosing our BnB and allowing us to serve you in a meaningful way. It was a full moon and beautiful weather for you to enjoy. Your visit was a delight and you truly appreciated what Mainstay Oasis has to offer. We hope to provide the 3 R's for you in the future. Enjoy the rest of August and maybe September will be good weather as it often is!
Thanks from ME & B
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Pros: spectacular room (though a little warm), lovely breakfast, charming location.

Cons: I generally try to avoid discussing politics and religion with strangers. This was not possible at the Mainstay Oasis, which caused me to feel extremely uncomfortable. Not only was there a great deal of Christian literature and decor in this B&B (which is fine), there were actually anti-abortion pamphlets in the lobby. In my brief conversations with Mary Ellen, she managed to bring up her conservative views on the topics of migrant workers, gun control, and the economy, and she also insulted the religious views of First Nations people. Looking at the other (mostly positive) reviews on tripadvisor, I wonder if this special treatment is reserved for unmarried couples, or people from California? And while I respect the right for everyone to have their political views, I felt very uncomfortable with so much of my host's worldview on the table (literally on the table, in the case of the anti-choice pamphlets)

Last, this was my and my boyfriend's last night in Canada after a wonderful two-week road trip. We were looking forward to checking in, showering, and getting dressed up for a nice dinner out. Upon arrival, we knocked on the door, rang, and walked around the property looking for the owners. After 20 minutes, we left to get dinner, scrapping our plans for the nice evening out we planned, Later, we found out that the owners were on their back porch, oblivious to our calls.

Room Tip: Captain's Suite was beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen G
TopazBritishColumbia, Owner at Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you K.G. for your review. I'm glad you had a great outdoor experience on your holidays in Canada. It's unfortunate your last evening didn't meet your expectation. We missed your first visit to our front door & please accept our greatest apology. It was not a deliberate action and with my hearing challenges I miss occasional phone calls or the doorbell. Perhaps info on your special night that you intended, could have been emailed or communicated using our toll free number much in advance of your holiday arrival.
We welcome many ethnicities, relational descriptions and nationalities into our BnB. I'm not sure why or where you felt unwelcome and uncomfortable because of yours. I recall conversation on gardening, purchasing a home your careers etc. If I offended you by anything I said I thank you for reminding to be mindful of what I exchange with guests and to be more guarded. Thank you for this tip. I had no intent to personally insult you or you beliefs if I did. I was trying to converse over more than the weather. I truly liked you & your partner. I really misread how you came across as energetic and friendly.

Finally, your comment about having emotionally charged "pamphlets" in the lobby at the table and and the room is curious. I have travel information and attractions about the lower Mainland because that would assist guests with the best possible stay. I thought: What am I missing.? I would appreciate a call and please let me know where you found the "pamphlets" you claim you found. I honestly went looking and and couldn't find what you referred to.
In all the rooms we have books on BC, Canada, poetry, Life of Pi, John Grishom novels, Maeve Binche novels, The Purpose Driven Life, devotionals. I would say there's a range of literature for many tastes.
Perhaps we didn't have anything that appealed to you.

Anyways, I regret that your visit was not what you expected your review was not what I expected.
Western Washington
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were so pleased to be able to spend some time in Barry and Mary Ellen's home. From the instant we arrived, the combination of lush gardens, a fine-crafted home, and exquisitely appointed furnishings framed a beautiful setting on the shores of Burrard Inlet that set us at ease. It seems that nothing has been left unthought of or uncared for, and the kindness and attentive care with which our hostess arranged our stay brought a comfort that is usually only felt when visiting family.

We highly recommend Mainstay Oasis for anyone who wishes to drop out of the hectic pace of their day-to-day lives, and are certain to return again when we're in their neck of the woods. Thank you Mary Ellen!

Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: Suite Serenity, which has a beautiful jetted tub and the most comfortable bed we've ever slept i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
TopazBritishColumbia, Owner at Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your complimentary review. It was our pleasure to share our home and provide you with a "mainstay experience"!
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Our stay at Mainstay Oasisi was wonderful. We have never stayed at a B&B before but certainly will again. Much, much better than a hotel with all the extras. Barry and Mary Ellen made excellents hosts and we felt very comfortable and welcomed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank realizzy
TopazBritishColumbia, Owner at Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for your very recent stay at our BnB. We hope that Bed & Breakfasts will become your preferred choice of accommodation. We're glad that you found the comforts of our water front home welcoming; providing unique extras for your travelling needs. Perhaps we'll have future opportunity to serve you.
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Had an opportunity to stay at the Mainstay Oasis B&B and only wished I there had been more time to just enjoy the lovely place and the view. It's owned by a couple, Mary Ellen & Barry, although M.E. is really the "face" of the place. She's super friendly, and on the first night (after a long day of travel, work, and time change), she not only dropped us off at a local restaurant for late supper, but rescued us when we got lost in town afterward. Breakfasts are custom made to order, including just about anything (omeletes, home-made scones, waffles). The master guest room is fabulous, and you can lounge on a couch while looking out at the water through a big picture window. The other guest rooms are very charming, cozy and comfortable. If you stay, you really need a car. The one drawback is that shops and restaurants are at least 1.5 kilometres away. But if you want peace, quiet & a beautiful setting, highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
TopazBritishColumbia, Owner at Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for your complimentary review. Yes, I wish you could have spent time relaxing to enjoy the tranquillity Port Moody has to offer. However, your strict schedule and responsibilities took precedent. Should you visit again for R&R we would be able to instruct you on public transit and provide maps and assistance with transportation. We enjoyed your stay very much and the choir you mentored.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Moody
Ramada Pitt Meadows
Ramada Pitt Meadows
#1 of 1 in Pitt Meadows
Best Western Plus Coquitlam Inn Convention Centre

Been to Mainstay Oasis Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!