“Pleasantly surprised!”

Snibston Discovery Museum and Country Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a fascinating journey around Snibston where you can discover 500 years of technological innovation and its impact on our everyday lives. From the earliest mining tools, prototype jet engine to the largest fashion display outside London, there is plenty to explore at this must see museum!
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have a 4 year old son and a 2 year old daughter - both with bags of energy. I was a bit hesitant about going as I thought they might be bored. How wrong could I be?!!

I paid around £21-24 for a family ticket (my 2yr old went in for free). Lots to see and do, lots of buttons to press, things to investigate, a mini to lift up and drop (!), indoor play area for the under 5's and superb outdoor adventure playground. I think we spent around 4 hours here in total and they did not stop running around the whole time.

As with most attractions, unless you take your own food the cafes etc can be expensive. You can bring your own food and there is a picnic area outside next to the playground. We went to the cafe due to bad weather during our visit and I didn't find it that pricey. You can purchase a kids meal deal for around £3.95 and includes a sandwich/roll, crisps, fruit and drink. They also provide a light lunch selection (jacket potatoes, bacon rolls etc).

Both loved it and keeping asking to go back. I will definitely be going again!

3  Thank Etolise

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Having a hyper 7 year old, it is hard to keep his attention for very long, however 4 hours into the visit we had yet to hear the dreaded words "I'm bored" He really loved every second running from one demonstration to the other from making fire to lifting a full size mini. He has already asked when we are returning.
Thank you so much and keep up the great work.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Boring?! What do some people go expecting??!! It's described as a hands on museum of technology and transport and that is exactly what it is. Where else can you start a real fire (very safely controlled!) right next to where you can lift a Mini off the ground?! We had two small children with us and they loved it, as did the four adults in the group too. Lots of hands on activities and when the children eventually tire of those there is a huge outdoor play area with a great water section where you can learn how to control water to turn into power etc. Educational and fun at the same time. Very reasonable prices to get in, especially as we had free child vouchers, but good even without. Would return again if we are ever back in the area.

1  Thank rpotton
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Oh dear dear, how very boring!!! Save your time & money!!! The staff are not the friendliest either!

1  Thank fieldhead4
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

£24 for a family (2 adults 2 children) amazing value for money.

Discovery centre is full of hands on science - make sure you drop the mini and try all the electrics.

Transport hall full of static displays from 1800s onwards.

Coal Mine exhibit brings the realities of the industry to life - kids loved 'going under ground'.

Fashion more aimed at teenagers.

Just when you think it's all over a massive outdoor play and water games.

We didn't do the century cinema or train ride into the pit but wished we had. Definitely enough to warrant a return. Easily spend 4 hours here.