“very poor !!!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Coalville
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“very poor !!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

on entering our room on boxing day the bed was unmade,dirty cup next to bed and dirty sink ,the room had obviously not had any housekeeping done after previous resident had left.
spoke to manager on reception and we were moved to room next door.
we were visiting family and on returning at 10.15pm thought we would have a drink before bed to find the bar was closed even though sign on door advised closing time was 11.00pm and this had not been mentioned to us on check in.
the bed was uncomfortable to say the least,it sunk in the middle and i hung on for grim death most of the night.
my husband showered the following morning and the soap dispenser fell off the wall when he attempted to use the soap.
this is possibly the worst hotel i have ever stayed in and would advise other people to stay away

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmt214

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Markfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have to point out that the staff are great and very helpful so full marks to them. I was expecting a "Premier Inn" style experience when I saw the Fayre and Square pub/restaurant sign outside. I was disappointed. The motel style rooms are situated away from the main building and feel far from secure with a flimsy lock on the front door. The rooms are basic and in severe need of a facelift. There no phones in the rooms so you feel isolated I would not recommend them to any ladies traveling on their own. I guess you get what you pay for and from this perspective this is a cheap option however I recommend you pay a bit more and get far more for your money at a Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Coalville hotels

Wirral
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed for one night as there was a family wedding in the function room. The blocks of rooms are at the rear of the pub motel style .Room was clean enough but small and functional. The mattress could do with replacing as it was very soft and saggy and didn't give a wonderful nights sleep. Parking is good as there is a large free car park with some spaces directly outside the door of your room. The pub food is ok for the price, not wonderful but not bad. Typical pub menu really. We both enjoyed the breakfast. There was a decent buffet of cereals, fresh fruit, breads, croissants and crumpets. The full English cooked breakfast was excellent. Only instant coffee though which lets a hotel down I think All of the staff we were in contact with were pleasant and helpful. My partners family now live locally so we would use again if we needed to stay over as it was cheap enough and fine for one night. Wouldn't be happy if it cost much more though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

so after my awful meal in the charnwood arms restaurant, i went back to my room. I guess this is Budget accommodation, but i have to say , it was clean, everything worked, plenty of pillows etc, all in all , NOT bad .

the manager was also very helpful in trying to sort my accommodation for the following night ( see my review of http://www.ashfieldhousehotel.co.uk/index.html which was excellent )

Nice place to stay, Near all the motorways, but NOT noisy...just stay away from the restaurant , i would use the hotel again though

Room Tip: i was room 5. easy to park right outside
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I'm sorry that I'm going to give a bad review, as the Duty Manageress was an absolute angel and really very helpful and understanding over our booking which was a little problematic due to our unusual circumstances. If anyone from the hotel is reading this, it was the young lady with dark hair - hope that identifies her. Hang on to her, she's your star.

However, despite this I wouldn't return.

The rooms are very basic which is fair enough for the price, but we didn't really want to share in our neighbour's enjoyment of the television programme they were watching.

There were cigarette butts outside the chalets, quite a lot, which gave a feeling that the place wasn't cleaned regularly.

The food was on the lower side of average. I can't say it was appalling, after all if you agree to pay the low prices they charge you really can't expect much. But it was still very disappointing.

Breakfast was a real rip-off though. It advertised 'fresh fruit' but when we asked for some we were told it had 'run out'. Instant coffee, croissants wrapped in plastic. I know this sounds snobby, but we paid less in other hotels for fresh coffee, fresh fruit and real croissants. Only redeeming feature was the yeo valley yogurt.

Breakfast is advertised until 9, but usually that means 'arrive by 9'. We arrived just after 8.30am as we were meeting up with someone else, and at 9 we were asked if we wanted anything more as they were packing the food away. At least they asked I suppose - but we felt rushed and a bit of a nuisance being there.

Apart from the lovely duty manageress, we found the staff really not very attentive or bothered.

With other options in the area, why stay here?

Room Tip: The rooms are outside, like a motel. I guess if you have the rooms on the 'front' then you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Was running late when I got to check in and had to wait 15 mins before anyone came over to book us in. But staff were friendly and informative. This isn't a 'hotel' in the traditional sense. It is chalets. Yes you heard me! We had two next to each other with a connecting door. Good size room with full bathroom facilities including 'Dove' hand and bath wash. Outside needs a coat of paint and whole thing could do with a bit of brightening up but otherwise a very pleasant stay. Breakfast is not included in the price (well it wasn't for us) and the 'Pub' part of the hotel is a fare and square chain. We ordered two veggie full English's and that entitled us to anything from the continental breakfast size free of charge. They had a good range of teas including Earl Grey. (Cant tell you about coffee as I don't drink it). All in all - not as bad as I had anticipated from the reviews on here.

NB: please note the hotel is off a big roundabout a couple of miles away from Coalville town centre.

Room Tip: We had rooms 27 & 28 which have a connecting door. (The hotel only has two rooms that can offer...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I hated every minute of my stay at this rat infested hell hole the food must have been cooked on the engine of the burnt out car in the kids play area. The waitresses are rude arrogant pigs who are too busy troweling their make up on.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank foodloverofcoalville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coalville
Hermitage Park Hotel
Hermitage Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Coalville
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Hotel
Premier Inn Ashby De La Zouch Ho...
#1 of 2 in Ashby-de-la-Zouch
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,066 reviews
BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel
BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Appleby Magna

Been to Charnwood Arms? Share your experiences!