“Marvelous Christmas and New Year's at High Grove”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of High Groves Estate

Frontal view of Manor House
Manor house and pool View of the sea from picnic area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Manor house and pool
View of the sea from picnic area
Loggia
Pool
Poolside
Bedroom view
View of estate valley
Pool and valley
New colt
Loggia and veranda at dusk
Her master bathroom
Kitchen
A filly named Friday
Home theater and billiards room
Bird sanctuary
Courtyard
Black ram among the sheep
Ancient olive tree
Theater at Epidavros
Our local fishing village of ancient Epidavros
Poolside at dusk
Guinea fowl
Garden Bench
Poolside
Veranda Vista
Garden Walkway
Sunlight streams into the Den
Master Dressing Room
Drawing Room and its massive fireplace
Dining Room
Master Bedroom
Rosemary Bedroom  with exposed beam ceiling
North Bedroom
One of several Kid's Bedrooms
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
luxdiver
nyc
“Marvelous Christmas and New Year's at High Grove”
Reviewed 13 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014
people found this review helpful

Let me just say, I had my doubts.

I've lived in Greece and have traveled the country extensively. So I know to be wary of "high end" properties, especially hotels. We've rented luxury villas in Greece as well (Kea, Santorini, Marathon) which were fairly fine to varying degrees.

We've also rented villas throughout the Caribbean (Mustique, St. Lucia, Mexico, Statia, Guanaja,etc.), so we have a pretty good idea of what a luxury villa is supposed to offer.

High Groves exceeded these expectations.

The photos do not do it justice. Really.

First, the delightful staff, who kept the house spotless, the ginormous fire roaring and the dining room filled with a lot of happy people. Par for the course you say? Well, we had an ever changing roster of 18 people. We made a spread sheet to keep track of it all. At one point we had 7 (SEVEN!) children ranging from morose teen to barely crawling. I wouldn't have lasted 20 minutes under those working conditions. Thank goodness they liked kids. And kid toys -- everywhere and I mean everywhere. So they definitely get the long suffering award of 2014/15. They are also connected, so if you want fresh fish or a need a doctor to come and check out a feverish child, all can be arranged.

Quick note, the cook (the most Excellent Monika) is an add on. Add on, I suggest, if for her pies alone. There is also a super nice babysitter that can be called in, as well as a much enjoyed massage therapist.

The estate really is an estate (this is unusual for Greece; most farms are quite small), with 3 tamed (is that the term?) horses and 14 "wild" horses roaming about, a bunch of pure bred dogs (I know I am supposed to know what sort of fancy breed they are, but, sorry, you are out of luck. You can visit them, but they won't come up to the house), a encyclopedia of fowl, etc. We were there over olive picking time -- interesting to watch -- which can only be done by hand in Greece (which is why Greece produces 70% of the world's extra virgin oil -- and then sells it to Italy for excessive mark up). Their vineyards produce a most decent rose -- cases of which were taken home by guests for later consumption.

The views are Spectacular, with nothing to mar the vista (no coal burning plant in the valley throwing up plumes of smoke, for example, as is the case in Arkadia and Amorgos; no hideous housing complexes,; no "accidentally" burned forests). Just 360 degrees of lovely mountainous nature. Divine. Peaceful.

The first days were quite warm, so we were able to eat and hang outside. The outside area is much more extensive than how it appears in the photos. In any case, I can see how it would be a lovely place to stay in the summer as well. Big pool, too.

So, the layout. The entrance leads to a long hall. On one side is the master suite (2 baths, dressing area, bedroom). On the other the hall leads to one huge and one medium living room, the kitchen (hardcore) and the dining room. At the entrance is the staircase which leads upstairs to four large, airy, beautifully furnished bedrooms with ensuite baths, some with balconies. Next to the staircase is a door which opens to reveal another staircase leading down, where there are two more nice bedrooms with baths, the movie room, the laundry room, the garage and two more smaller but fine bedrooms (one has no windows; we stuck kids there).

The furniture is solid, sort of of-the-manor born. What I appreciated was the utter lack of knick-knacks. Clean and uncluttered, but with everything you could want. Maybe this is because I warned the owner (a dream to deal with) of the impending invasion of children.

A few cons (depending on your point of view). This place is Brigadoon hard to find, GPS coordinates would be helpful -- I meant to do it but forgot. On the other hand, this place is hard to find! If you want to be in the thick of it, this ain't for you. It is centrally located for convenient visits to various important archaeological sites, about 1/2 hour to the sea and 45 minutes to Napflion, AKA the Tryst capital of Greece. Worth a visit for the beauty of the town and the excellent gelato (the town has Venetian influences). The road leading to the estate is dirt, so I don't think I'd attempt it at 2AM after a night at the bars. But then, I don't want to attempt bars at 2AM. The floors are tile, so sounds reverberate, especially the sounds of wailing children. I'd hang a thick curtain in the bedroom entrance of the master suite to cut noise -- or move upstairs where it is quiet. Our only mishap was running out of gas for the stove on New Year's Eve. A chef friend wanted to cook and this entailed using every available burner on a professional Gartner-like stove. It ran out at 10PM and the poor staff was called in (not my idea, I was overruled) to fix it.

In short, this is a spectacular villa, in an amazing setting with a dedicated and competent staff. We had a wonderful time and hope to return again soon.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The comfortable house, the amazing views, the fact that it is a working farm
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
14 Jan 2015
We are thrilled to have served and pleased your group, and hope to see you again soon. I have GPS coordinates for the next visitors. Thanks for letting us host you.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing