“An experience not to pass up - Stay at the Ice Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ice Hotel Romania

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fagaras
Ice Hotel Romania
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fagaras
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“An experience not to pass up - Stay at the Ice Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Wow!!! The Ice Hotel. An amazing experience.I did most of the activities on offer (tunnel trek, snowmobiling and sledging). The visibility on the other side of the tunnel was really bad so we didn't get to enjoy the view. Walking through the snow can be tiring. Sledging was fun. I had the dinner at the Ice Hotel which was definitely a worthwhile experience.

Tip: Sleep in your winter PJs. Leave the cold blanket thats been sitting outside out of the sleeping bag. Rather use it to cover you on the outside. Go to the toilet first and jump into bed a bit late.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AnandPillay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013 via mobile

Be under no illusion, you are in Romania and paid very little for this experience compared to the impressive creations in Sweden and Norway. Firstly you will have been lulled into the sense that everything is cheap in Romania until you are presented with the fare up the Gondola. There are only two cars and take some time to transit the mountain and if its not full be prepared to share it with supplies or garbage bags like we did on one return journey. At the top you may be lucky to see Romanian tourists enjoying the mountain and lying on your bed for photos before you take occupation. We had dinner at the hotel which was very good but tough to keep hot for long so eat quickly. The bar was good but closed too early, lets face it we could all do with a drink to help sleep through sub zero. The next day we were accused by staff of stealing a blue mug which wasn't nice. It was coming from the infamous Andrea who I see has been mentioned on a previous review and I agree that she may have hospitality burn out and needs to come off that mountain! The night was cold and many people tried to leave in the middle of the night but found the other hotel all locked up. I found them in the morning sleeping in the gondola station to stay warm. I found it ok but slept fully clothed. It's great for a photo, a little cold which was expected but overall I enjoyed it.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

It was the second time I was at the Ice Hotel and I found it really interesting. And if you are there, make sure you book a night in the hotel or in the iglu, it is an experience you will never forget. Nice rooms, friendly hosts, and a bar where you can drink shots in ice glases :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the iglu
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Ice hotel as part of a groupon booking with untravelled paths, (this hotel is a much cheaper alternative to the one in sweden.) You have to use the cable car to get to the hotel, and if the weather is harsh the ride up there can be too. We happened to go on a day where the weather was previously too bad to travel on the cable car BUT it had calmed down by the time we got there. When we arrived at the top (make sure you have your camera to hand for shots of the waterfall and other amazing scenery) we was firstly pounced on to pay the 25 lei (per person, per way) by the operator who clearly thought we was going to abscond into the snow and never return!! We was then taken into a "foyer" and 'Andrea' spoke to us, she unfortunately had the personality of a dead goldfish!! I'm not sure if the snow and ice had given her a temporary Botox look but her face wasn't going to smile for love nor money!!!
We were assigned rooms in the Balea lac cabin, (which were free for us to use if we couldn't hack the cold of the ice hotel (although it does close at 12 pm and doesn't reopen until 7.30 so decide quickly!!) after the night we had in the previous hotel (review to follow, which we had to share a bloody toilet) this seemed like luxury!! It was very "Nordic " looking but that's a whole different review!!
We ventured out to the ice hotel at about 9 there was no staff in the bar so we had to keep trekking back to the cabin to get drinks and bring them back!?! Weird because there was plenty of staff doing NOTHING when we left the cabin?!? But then I guess they just wanted to watch the Chelsea
Vs Bucharest game?!? Anyway, we walked across the lake (yes you have to walk over a lake, but don't worry I crossed it and it didn't break, phew!!! )
It was sub zero blizzard conditions (don't forget ski glasses (you may feel silly,especially if your not skiing but walking without something over your eyes when it's like that is painful!! ) we arrived in the ice hotel and were AMAZED at how beautiful and intricate it was!! Every room was different, and you got to look in every room!!
We stayed up chatting with our friends till about 12.20pm and decided to go and hit the hay (I mean snow). I slept in full clothing, in an industrial sleeping bag, with 3 fleeces over me and I was still bloody cold!! BUT my hubby who is clearly harder than me stripped to literally long johns and t shirt and was toasty all night!! (Good tip: if you do take clothes off, put them under your body (lay on them) so when you put them back on in the morning they are warm)
Do not forget the ice hotel does not have any toilets, so make sure you go before you go to sleep or take a cup!! (I took a shewee but to my annoyance I was too cold
To get up and use it lol) can I just point out this hotel isn't great for claustrophobics the rooms are quite small and if you are anything like me you lay looking at the ceiling all night waiting for the roof to cave in!! (Which it doesn't btw although I got a few small lumps of snow fall on my head in the night) also the main door needs to be closed to stop the friendly neighbourhood fox coming in and if there is heavy snow fall you may need the team to dig the door free. Anyway so we did eventually fall asleep and getting up and seeing the hotel in the morning was beautiful, getting into the cabins warmth and having breakfast was also very welcome, even if the Staff are all personality-less zombies. (If the owner of the hotel wants me to come and train his staff in the art of hospitality/customer service and HUMOUR please get in touch!!) All in all and silliness aside the hotel was amazing. I absolutely loved it although I doubt I would stay in it again because I'm a wimp it's definitely one for the bucket list!!
Views were out of this world, apart from the miserable staff the place is wonderful!! I probably wouldn't of taken my children as I don't feel there was enough for them to do and it is excruciatingly cold, me and hubby had a very romantic and fun stay.

NB: Sledging/snow mobiling etc can be cancelled in bad weather (which it was when we went!!) also please remember because of the altitude you can find yourself out of breath even after a small walk even if you are fit!!

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I wanted to do this trip independently as I like to be free to change itinerary should I discover hidden gems while in the country. In general we found Romania very easy to get around and people more than helpful. I would say if you are a nervous or infrequent traveller go with a company however we hired a car and found the freedom of planning our own route invaluable. We didn't find driving a problem. I recommend hiring a GPS we wouldn't have found the hotel without it.

The Ice Hotel takes planning to get to but we had no problem after reading the reviews on here.You do need to queue for the cable car and check-in at the bar in the restaurant. I do feel a lot of the feedback is very bias toward going with certain companies and perhaps it affects your stay once up the mountain. We didn't find the staff bad but not as helpful as the other places we stayed such as Brasov and Bucharest. The companies advertised seem to dominate the hotel. One of the girls in the restaurant made up for the rest of the staff as she was more than attentive. We didn't dine in the Ice Hotel partly due to lack of information.

Room Tip: We just ended up taking the last room available due to not being sure what the procedure was. Take p...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Cannot fault Untravelled Paths for their organisation and customer service. Do not usually book a package holiday and am an independent traveller but thought Romania may need some guidance. A stay at the ice hotel was affordable and if it's something you've always wanted to do I would thoroughly recommend doing it here although in the cabin do not expect any normal levels of customer service or a range of menu options. Stunning views on the mountain, Sighisoara is a beautiful medieval city and Romania a fascinating, off the beaten track place to visit.

Room Tip: At the cabin... as far away from the toilets as possible
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

A stay at an ice hotel has always been on our wish list but has always been a bit expensive for us. We heard about the transylvania ice hotel and after a few emails with Di decided to book with Secret Transylvania. We flew into Tirgu Mures airport which is the closest to the ice hotel, as we didnt want the 6 hour transfer from Bucharest. We went via Sigisoara (where the real dracula was born) to their lovely accomodation near Sibiu. We had fantastic home cooked food and a night in the Lancaster Bomber bar. Next day we went to the ice hotel, and it was everything i had wished for. Dazzling sunshine, sledging, skidoo and jez kindly showed us through a road tunnel to check the views on the other side. We hadnt booked a meal in the ice hotel and enquired when we got there and it was only 30 pounds so it is well worth it for the experience. The food is very good and the bar prices are very cheap too. The ice hotel rooms are very nice, each slightly different to the next and we both slept well in the very good sleeping bags they provide. Admin wise, secret transylvania have everything very well organised, we left our bags in the room jez booked for us to use, and we could use the shower etc. In the morning we had breakfast in the main hotel and back to the village via cable car. Jez and Di organised the rest of the day for us in the luxury spa in sibiu (£20). We both had a hot rock massage and warmed up in the sauna, steam room and lovely pool. If you dont want a spa there is plenty to do in and around Sibiu that jez and di can lay on for you. That night we ate in the best restaurant in Sibiu. All meals apart from the ice hotel were included so we hardly spent any money. Next day was a trip to Bran castle and then the night flight direct to Luton. I would like to say thanks to Di, Jez, and Nelutzu for making this trip such a fantastic experience. We have certainly had our eyes opened to this part of the europe and are definitely hoping to return in the summer.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fagaras
Complex Pastravaria Albota
Brukenthal Palace Avrig
Hotel Bulevard
Hotel Bulevard
#1 of 8 in Fagaras

Been to Ice Hotel Romania? Share your experiences!