“Fantastic, go!”
Review of Ice Hotel Romania

Ice Hotel Romania
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fagaras
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here in March. We puchased a groupon deal in conjunction with Untravelled Paths. I am sure this holiday could be undertaken independantly but having a designated driver who knew where he was going (Marion- great chap btw) made life much easier and relaxing.

We had some trouble getting to the ice hotel as the weather was poor, and riding the cable car when it was very windy was hair raising to say the least!

The Ice Hotel and restuarant were fantastic. All the rooms are different. As we arrived late due to he poor weather we were allocated rooms but normally i believe guests can choose their room. For a tip, rooms further into the hotel are warmer. A guest we were with was very cold but she had a room by the opening of the hotel whereas I had a room by the bar. It was cold but if you wear sutable clothing it is very easier to sleep. I wore fleece trousers, thermal vest, micro fleece, fleece top and fleece socks, a hat and i was toasty warm. i didn't need to wear gloves or a scarf to sleep in.

Toilets are quite far from theice hotel and as we were in a blizzard I didnt want to venture outside. Go to the toilet before you go to bed.

Other than the ice walk we couldn't participate in the other activities as we were in a white out. The walk was fun but its pretty tiring walking through many feet of snow and i like hiking so was surprised i found it so tough.

The cabana hotel is extremely hot! I was tryng to pack light and didn't bring any t-shirts and had to wear my thermal vest as a t-shirt because I was roasting. Guests will also smoke a lot in the Cabana. The resort is quite cheap but I found breakfast pretty poor and expensive. If you don't like eggs the selection of food is very limited. Dinner was fine though and reasonable given the hotels could get away with charging a lot due to the remote location. In general, romania is very cheap.

All in I had a great time in the ice hotel and if we had been luckier with the weather I think there is more to do he than the scandinavian ice hotels. It is definately worth doing this and Romania in general was fascinating.

Room Tip: choose a room furthest away from the entrance
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LunaYoga

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We were indendant travellers to the ice hotel and found the experience an easy adventure.We booked flights with wizz air,hired a car and booked the hotel with booking.com.We found that everything ran very smoothly and saved quite a bit of money and we didnt have some tour guide following us around.
The hotel its self is fantasic and we managed to stay the whole night there,but it was quite cold.On arrival they give you two rooms one of which is in the warm hotel.If you were to change your mind though the other hotel is locked overnight,so you wont be able to get in.However they do supply you with warm sleeping bags.The ice tunnel was a bit of a disappointment,its very slippery but has a good view the other side.
All in all we found this hotel fantastic for the price,something to experience once in your life and were able to take some amazing photos whilst we were there.

Room Tip: there is a choice of rooms with themes.They are first come first served,but they are all fairly good...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Earlier this year my wife suggested she fancied a stay in an Ice Hotel - this did come as somewhat of a surprise, as generally a sunbed is her first choice! We booked through "Secret Transylvania" who had everything so well organised. They drove us up the lower section of the "Top Gear Road" and they knew what time we should arrive at the Cable Car to avoid delays, and when to arrive to get first choice of the rooms (great personal service). Once the rooms were picked, we had lunch at the Cabana (provided as part of the all-inclusive deal with Secret Transylvania). We had a room in the Cabana hotel (where our guide was sleeping that night) where we could store our stuff (as ice hotel rooms are open to all in the days) and some of our group took a rest in the afternoon, while others had a drink in the bar. There are optional activities (sledging, snowmobiling etc). One thing most people do is walk through the Top Gear road tunnel (only accessible as a road in the summer). It is a small trek, which isn't easy in deep snow, but that's all part of it. On our day unfortunately the cloud cover prevented us seeing the amazing view out the other side of the tunnel, but you can never guarantee the weather! The evening meal in the Ice Hotel is the only extra to pay, but was well worth the experience, and there is a bar too. Back to the Cabana to warm up a little before the night in the ice hotel rooms. You are provided with a good sleeping bag each, and once inside you are warm enough (honestly)! Each room has just a curtain doorway and is themed, eg Mystery, Carousel, etc with Ice carvings and pretty lights. Only snag is if you need the loo in the night... you have to walk outside to the cable-car station - in reality 50 yards or so - but in our case a 30-minute round trip as between one and two foot of fresh snow had fallen, which can be hard to trudge though. Breakfast back at the Cabana before catching the Cable Car back down (all arranged like clockwork by Secret Transylvania again). Glad we were in a Land Rover for the trip as there was now over a foot of snow at the lower end of the cable car too! A Once In A Lifetime Experience - glad we did it, really enjoyed it, but probably not the sort of thing to do over and over again for me.

Room Tip: Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis - get there early to pick yours - you have to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank solstices
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Wow!!! The Ice Hotel. An amazing experience.I did most of the activities on offer (tunnel trek, snowmobiling and sledging). The visibility on the other side of the tunnel was really bad so we didn't get to enjoy the view. Walking through the snow can be tiring. Sledging was fun. I had the dinner at the Ice Hotel which was definitely a worthwhile experience.

Tip: Sleep in your winter PJs. Leave the cold blanket thats been sitting outside out of the sleeping bag. Rather use it to cover you on the outside. Go to the toilet first and jump into bed a bit late.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnandPillay
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Be under no illusion, you are in Romania and paid very little for this experience compared to the impressive creations in Sweden and Norway. Firstly you will have been lulled into the sense that everything is cheap in Romania until you are presented with the fare up the Gondola. There are only two cars and take some time to transit the mountain and if its not full be prepared to share it with supplies or garbage bags like we did on one return journey. At the top you may be lucky to see Romanian tourists enjoying the mountain and lying on your bed for photos before you take occupation. We had dinner at the hotel which was very good but tough to keep hot for long so eat quickly. The bar was good but closed too early, lets face it we could all do with a drink to help sleep through sub zero. The next day we were accused by staff of stealing a blue mug which wasn't nice. It was coming from the infamous Andrea who I see has been mentioned on a previous review and I agree that she may have hospitality burn out and needs to come off that mountain! The night was cold and many people tried to leave in the middle of the night but found the other hotel all locked up. I found them in the morning sleeping in the gondola station to stay warm. I found it ok but slept fully clothed. It's great for a photo, a little cold which was expected but overall I enjoyed it.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

It was the second time I was at the Ice Hotel and I found it really interesting. And if you are there, make sure you book a night in the hotel or in the iglu, it is an experience you will never forget. Nice rooms, friendly hosts, and a bar where you can drink shots in ice glases :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the iglu
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Ice hotel as part of a groupon booking with untravelled paths, (this hotel is a much cheaper alternative to the one in sweden.) You have to use the cable car to get to the hotel, and if the weather is harsh the ride up there can be too. We happened to go on a day where the weather was previously too bad to travel on the cable car BUT it had calmed down by the time we got there. When we arrived at the top (make sure you have your camera to hand for shots of the waterfall and other amazing scenery) we was firstly pounced on to pay the 25 lei (per person, per way) by the operator who clearly thought we was going to abscond into the snow and never return!! We was then taken into a "foyer" and 'Andrea' spoke to us, she unfortunately had the personality of a dead goldfish!! I'm not sure if the snow and ice had given her a temporary Botox look but her face wasn't going to smile for love nor money!!!
We were assigned rooms in the Balea lac cabin, (which were free for us to use if we couldn't hack the cold of the ice hotel (although it does close at 12 pm and doesn't reopen until 7.30 so decide quickly!!) after the night we had in the previous hotel (review to follow, which we had to share a bloody toilet) this seemed like luxury!! It was very "Nordic " looking but that's a whole different review!!
We ventured out to the ice hotel at about 9 there was no staff in the bar so we had to keep trekking back to the cabin to get drinks and bring them back!?! Weird because there was plenty of staff doing NOTHING when we left the cabin?!? But then I guess they just wanted to watch the Chelsea
Vs Bucharest game?!? Anyway, we walked across the lake (yes you have to walk over a lake, but don't worry I crossed it and it didn't break, phew!!! )
It was sub zero blizzard conditions (don't forget ski glasses (you may feel silly,especially if your not skiing but walking without something over your eyes when it's like that is painful!! ) we arrived in the ice hotel and were AMAZED at how beautiful and intricate it was!! Every room was different, and you got to look in every room!!
We stayed up chatting with our friends till about 12.20pm and decided to go and hit the hay (I mean snow). I slept in full clothing, in an industrial sleeping bag, with 3 fleeces over me and I was still bloody cold!! BUT my hubby who is clearly harder than me stripped to literally long johns and t shirt and was toasty all night!! (Good tip: if you do take clothes off, put them under your body (lay on them) so when you put them back on in the morning they are warm)
Do not forget the ice hotel does not have any toilets, so make sure you go before you go to sleep or take a cup!! (I took a shewee but to my annoyance I was too cold
To get up and use it lol) can I just point out this hotel isn't great for claustrophobics the rooms are quite small and if you are anything like me you lay looking at the ceiling all night waiting for the roof to cave in!! (Which it doesn't btw although I got a few small lumps of snow fall on my head in the night) also the main door needs to be closed to stop the friendly neighbourhood fox coming in and if there is heavy snow fall you may need the team to dig the door free. Anyway so we did eventually fall asleep and getting up and seeing the hotel in the morning was beautiful, getting into the cabins warmth and having breakfast was also very welcome, even if the Staff are all personality-less zombies. (If the owner of the hotel wants me to come and train his staff in the art of hospitality/customer service and HUMOUR please get in touch!!) All in all and silliness aside the hotel was amazing. I absolutely loved it although I doubt I would stay in it again because I'm a wimp it's definitely one for the bucket list!!
Views were out of this world, apart from the miserable staff the place is wonderful!! I probably wouldn't of taken my children as I don't feel there was enough for them to do and it is excruciatingly cold, me and hubby had a very romantic and fun stay.

NB: Sledging/snow mobiling etc can be cancelled in bad weather (which it was when we went!!) also please remember because of the altitude you can find yourself out of breath even after a small walk even if you are fit!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fagaras
Complex Pastravaria Albota
#3 of 6 in Cartisoara
Vila Balea
Vila Balea
#5 of 11 in Arefu

Been to Ice Hotel Romania? Share your experiences!