“Good Location For Kent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wrotham Heath
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good Location For Kent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel is perfect for any meetings in Kent or the south east. It can be a little busy as its the first post of call from the channel tunnel so make sure you book. Several times I have stayed its been full of Germans and Dutch on holiday which makes dinner a busy affair.

The food is good with a nice selection, this is one of the only hotels where I normally eat in my room due to a long day of driving and flights and the service is always very friendly.

The hotel is a gym and a pool which are clean and great for use after a long day.

The rooms can be a bit of a walk from reception, I got lost the last time I stayed trying to find my room on the 3rd floor, there are no lifts that I am aware of...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank MrJohnAS
HolidayInn_Maidstone, Manager at Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thank you for giving us such good feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Checking out, the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay. When i replied "Not very much," she smiled but wasn't interested enough to enquire what the problem had been. There were many. The room was spacious and well-appointed, the head waiter in the restaurant was charming and eager to please - and that is all that can be said on the positive side.

In the bar for a pre-dinner drink the service was surly and unwelcoming. "Got to change the barrel" said the barman and left us waiting without apology. In the dining room the booking we had been told was necessary had not been made by reception - and in any case it would not have been necessary. Having chosen from an unappealing and unimaginative menu, we waited forty minutes for our food to arrive. No roll and butter. Rip-off wine list starting at approx £17.00 a bottle. Service at breakfast was unenthusiastic and cheerless.

We don't wish to be told to "Have a nice day" every five minutes but we do expect hotel staff to look as though they are pleased that our presence is keeping them employed. Our impression was of a hotel whose manager had failed to instil in his/her staff any sense of pride or professionalism. We will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInn_Maidstone, Manager at Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please be assured that we take all comments on board in order to improve our services. I would like to demonstrate to you that we are capable of delivering the standards we are famous for and hope that you do choose us for your next visit to the area so we can restore your faith in our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Wrotham Heath hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

Booked a double executive room for two nights as told was only way to guarantee a fridge in room. Was a bit annoyed as stayed in Hi standard before, and actually the night before this at another hotel (see reviw) (booked later) and got the fridge - only needed it to keep babies milk cold.

Hotel is impressive as you enter, seems grand and well presented, lots of tress around hotel and looks like a bit forest lodge which is nice.

Check in was ok. Room was close to reception which was good. But not as good as expected for exec. Have previously stayed in a mixture. This was small for exec and no better equipped (other than questionably the fridge). Room was clean and with large LCD TV plus king sized bed and small sofa - No view to speak of. Had a poor nights sleep as duvet too small for bed - only realised in middle of night and had a draught coming through the window, tried to put heating on but system far too noisy not to wake baby again.

In morning asked recepetion to sort duvet, very pleasant and friendly apoligised, assured us would be done straight away we said will be out till about 5pm, so no rush.

Got back about 6pm duvet still not sorted so had to complain to reception - They apologised (again)

Order main meal plus kids meal as did previous eve on special offer where kids eat free. However told tonight kids dont eat free in bar like last night as that offer a restuarant only offer. had eaten last night in the bar at the same time ordering off the restaurant menu. But tonight as they had chosen to bother to open the restaurant this offer not available in the bar. So ok fine we move to the restaurant. But oh no, that not open for another half hour!!!! Baby getting hungry and tired, I just had to pay it. Look meal only a fiver but bar and restaurant VERY pricey anyway another fiver feels like an insult. For arguing over this made to feel like a no body. Clearly you have to be on a business account whre costs dont matter to use this hotel. Have used many hotels for leisure and business before and i dont appreciate being looked down on depending whether I am in suit or in jeans with my family, thank you very much.

On checkout I am presented with a bill of £120 - 3 breakfasts, 2 eve meals, 2 kids meals and few drinks. This cannot be right. Found one mistake holiday inn voucher I had exchanged loyalty points not taken off - still seemed expensive but they lay it out in a very confusing manner. Somethings broken down to the individual drink others lumping entire checsks together. Upon further inspection after left worked out there was an entire check that was not mine. Called hotel and reception apologised they good at that. With no hassle sorted out a refund. I ask, how many people on business bother to check invioces?? What esle have they snuck on other people bills that they have not realised. Not usual HI practise. Very reluctant to use this hotel again - Will be sending letter to HI HQ with complaint.

Room Tip: Check food and drink prices - Keep all your recepits and check them over a cofee at checkout
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Let me first apologise for the poor experience you had at the hotel. I appreciate your feedback as it assists me in my strive to continuously improve our hotel services. We take all complaints seriously and would like to assure you that every point raised has been looked into. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel to discuss the many improvements and to restore your faith in the hotel.
Luton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

This is the email I sent to Holiday Inn as soon as I got home........

Dear Holiday Inn,

Thank you for your email, below.

I am sorry to say that we did not enjoy our stay at this hotel.

Despite the best efforts of your charming receptionist (who managed to allay my wrath by doing all she could to make up for the gross deficiencies in your management and staff - she even had to deliver some of our bedding to the room herself) we felt that we were treated very shabbily by everyone else in the hotel. The only other member of staff who had any idea of her job was the cook on duty for the Sunday breakfast, who at least kept the food warmer well stocked with properly cooked food. All the rest of the staff and management of that hotel were notable only for the ignorance of their duties - or their complete absence!

Now I realise that to book a room at 6 p.m. Saturday on a Bank Holiday weekend is pushing it - but you accepted the booking and my money, so you should have provided a usable room when we arrived two hours later. The first room was not made up and one of the duvets was missing. We were prepared to rough it (we are British to the core), but the receptionist is clearly aware that your porters are either simpletons or workshy, because she said that it would be easier to change to another room than to have bedding sent to the first room.

In the second room the sofa bed needed to be made up. We so advised reception. Two hours later, nothing had happened. We erected the sofa bed ourselves (we are tough and resourceful, we British) but I had to go down to Reception personally to ask for the necessary bedding. After a porter had delivered sheets and pillow to the room, I had to go down again about the duvet. After a total of three telephone calls and four trips down to reception, we finally had all we needed for the 13-year-old member of our party to go to bed. As I said before, the duvet was eventually delivered by the receptionist in person.

At breakfast, the two waitresses said 'Choose any table, help yourself to starters and we willl take your orders for tea and coffee.' Well, they didn't. Eventually, we helped ourselves to cutlery and napkins from the unused 6 seater table. The lady at the next table, whom we had never met before, leant over to confide in us the fact that she had been obliged to do exactly the same thing. The waitresses ignored my waves and raised cup. Eventually one of them set down her coffee pot behind a pillar, and I furtively crept over and took it! That got their interest, at last we could order tea for my companion.

So, ticks for the receptionist and the for the chef at breakfast. For the rest of the staff, including management, crosses.

From now on we will avoid Holiday Inn like the plague.

Ken Mackenzie

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, if they are ready for you!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kenneth M
Thank you for your comments. We are actively working to improve our levels of service and your feedback is very valuable to us. We apologise for the issues you faced. We aim to consistently deliver professional service to our customers and I would like to state that on this occasion the level of service you received was unacceptable. I hope that I can welcome you back to the hotel very soon to demonstrate that improvements have been made and that you will hopefully enjoy the great levels of service we normally provide.
Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

Upon arrival everything looked and seemed fine - Normal even. We checked in and was advised that our room was fully paid for in advance but were asked if 'would we like to register a credit card so we could charge to our room' we declined saying that we would rather pay cash for drinks etc and settle in cash upon our departure. This decision would come back to annoy us later. The room was ok to look at, the bed wasn't as comfortable as the Premier Inn beds but we didn't really care because we were going to have a bath and go for a drink. However, the mould under and around the bath plug soon made us decide on a shower instead - please send a cleaner to room 117. Anyway, no worries, let's go for a drink at the bar....Now, there is a bar here but i don't think they actually have any member of staff actually assigned to it because after 10 minutes of waiting a young girl approached and asked 'do you want a drink from the bar'...'er, well, yeah if i am honest' i replied, and off we went to sit in the lobby area. Now, i don't know who is actually the Manager here but whoever it is has never heard of 'secondary duties' because this area, the conservatory and the garden was just absolutely littered with glasses and dirty plates that no one seemed to care about. Staff were just walking past them as if they wasn't there. Lessons for the Manager: 1: Place a member of the bar staff behind the bar at all times when the bar is open so that Guests are not stood around like idiots waiting for a drink. 2: Give that person 'secondary duties', namely keeping the lobby area, conservatory and garden free from empty glasses, plates and rubbish left on tables so that they can see clearly if a Guest is at the bar and attend to them. 3: If you couldn't work that out for yourself then you should never have applied for the job in the first place and the person who hired you should be sacked.

Dinner was standard fayre and i opted for soup followed by the rack of ribs with what they describe as 'chunky chips'. Let's be honest here, they're not chunky chips, they are frozen chips and nothing is 'prepared freshly by your Chef' because the food is standard Brakes Brothers packets that you merely warm up. So the food was as expected, cheaply bought in and marked up by at least 9% once it hits the plate. The only things that annoyed me about dinner was the fact that i again had to get up to find a staff member to ask for a drink and the annoying American lady sitting nearby who seemed to be under the impression that every other diner in there wanted to say hello to her noisy and annoying toddler. Dinner finished and back to the bar. Forget it, there is again no staff member behind the bar, a wedding party had arrived and, after a 10 minute wait we decided to forget it and go to our room and watch a film. We decided to watch a film called Hangover 2 but was told by the very clever television that we had to see reception to watch it so off we went to reception where we were told by the pretty Receptionist that we had to now register a credit card. We reminded her that we were settling in cash upon our departure to which she replied "we have to register a card because some people have ran away before without paying"....So that was me and my Wife tarred with the same brush as a thief. Offence taken.....

The next day we decided that we wouldn't bother having breakfast here and popped to the local cafe and at 12:00 went to the bar at the hotel for an orange juice. Again, there was no one behind the bar and 4 more people were stood waiting and commenting on the poor service. After quite a while i decided to go and look for a member of the bar staff myself, looked through the door leading to the function room and there she was, the elusive member of staff leaning against a kitchen counter playing with her mobile phone, which she quickly threw into her apron pocket when i asked 'Sorry love but any chance of a drink'??....Needless to say she was soon behind the bar serving the guests that pay her wages.

Later that night i needed some ciggies from the garage down the road; I had finished my pint but my Wife had a quarter of her gin and tonic left which she didnt want to leave but didnt want to drink before driving to the garage. She was concerned that someone would take it thinking that we had finished. I suggested we leave them where they are because i doubt that any staff member would pick up a glass in this place and if they do, then so what, buy another. Lo and behold, upon our return about 20 mins later they were still there. In any other bar in the Country a proper bar tender would have assumed we had gone and cleared the table ready for another guest. The next morning, around 11:30 before checking out, we wanted a cold drink from the bar and again, like idiots, we stood there waiting for someone to recognise that guests were trying to spend money. I counted 4 members of staff walk by without acknowledging the 8 guests waiting and getting rather impatient. The first 4 guests walked away commenting on the poor service and a cafe down the road, followed closely by the other 2 who mumbled something along the lines of 'waiting for christmas'...By now we had had enough and decided to leave also. As we were walking away a member of staff walked by carrying her uniform but wearing ordinary clothes - so obviously off-duty - and asked if we were waiting at the bar......" you know what, love" ....."we will just go to the garage".....

As a regular business traveller i have always stayed at Premier Inns across the Country but decided recently that i would have a look at Holiday Inn for a change. I have stayed at a few and found them to be fine but since staying at this one i can honestly say that i will never stay at another again....If you are reading this review and wondering whether or not to stay here; Read my lips ........ "don't"

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deekyKent
Thank you for providing valuable feedback. Your comments help us in ensuring that we continously improve our levels of service. We apologise for the problems you had here the hotel. All our customers are very important to us and we aim to consistently deliver our great service in a great hotel. Every point you raised has been noted and looked into. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon and that you will hopefully enjoy the improved levels of service.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I have been quite fair in my ratings, as it would be wrong to criticise all aspects even though I would never step foot in this hotel again.

My partner and I went to view the establishment as a potential venue for our upcoming 2012 nuptials. We were looked after very well by the restaurant manager. We had been told the date we had in mind was available and went through all packages they offered. We were both very excited when we left having provisionally booked it and were awaiting a phone call to tie up any queries in the next few days.

I had to call the events team myself even though I had emailed them, to be told that none of our guests could stay at the hotel (even though we had stipulated some were from overseas and it was a requirement). The reason being, their potential (but not yet booked) Olympic guests took precedence! We were guaranteeing bookings of 15 rooms at the very least!

We were then told they had double-booked and would we change the date! No way! We had already started telling people. I was spoken to in an extremely condescending manner and was left distraught and in tears.

Disappointing organisation.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Another enjoyable stop en route to my holiday destination. I have stayed at this hotel several times (clearly I would not return if all the comments in the other reviews were true). Staff are outstanding. Breakfast is very good - usual Holiday Inn high standard. Rooom service food was better than ever.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#5 of 15 in Maidstone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,421 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks? Share your experiences!