Curassow Amazon Lodge
All reviewsthree hoursfishknowledgeable stafflimited electricitythe riverbeyond wordssolar panelslocal communityreal junglenight tourflora and faunacommon areasan adventurehour boat rideamazing experiencegreat guidenearby village
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed at the lodge for 5 days at the end of Sep 11.

Location:

The lodge is in the amazon. You don't need to trek for hours into the jungle to see wildlife, you can hear and see it from the lodge itself.

Staff:

The guides were fantastic, very knowledgeable about all the wildlife, fauna and flora. It was like having David Attenborough & Bear Grylls showing us around the amazon.

The lodge uses local guides who are from the area and know exactly where to go. Another positive aspect of this is that tourism money goes directly to the local community.

Lodge:

As you can see the lodge from the photos the lodge is more than adequate with private huts, comfortable beds & showers.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
CurassowLodge, Director General at Curassow Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2015

Hello Steve_R_1234,

Thank you for your awesome review.

All our staff is grateful with you and we are happy you had a great time with us.

Our best regards.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I am a student and stayed at the Palo Verde lodge with three other friends. From the moment we stepped into the office Carlos was welcoming and informative. After looking at the other lodges there was a few things my party wanted to make sure of, we didn't want to exploit and locals, we wanted to see animals in their habitat (not in cages) and we wanted it all to be reasonably priced. After talking with Carlos, a reasonable price was given and we decided to stay at Palo Verde. The one thing that I really enjoyed about our experience, was it felt like everything was catered to us. We left Iquitos at the time we specified and boarded a "non-speed" boat. Many people may not like this, but our group loved it. The other lodges use speed boats to get you to their lodges as fast as possible. This is not what we wanted, we would rather cruise down the river and see as much as possible. On the way to the lodge we were able to spot a pod of grey dolphins that we would surely have missed on a speed boat. Our tour guide, Freddy, was awesome at pointing out things on the rivers, and was excessively knowledgeable about the flora, Fauna and cultures (and fluent in spanish and english). Once at the lodge we ate an awesome lunch and began a hike. The lodge tour guide, Juan, was just as amazing as freddy. He was able to spot animals that would be impossible for us to see by our selves. In the first 20 mins we saw a pigmy monkey, sloth, bambo rat, and various jungle birds. Once we returned we headed down river to look for the infamous pink dolphin. Sure enough with Freddy and Juan on the boat, we ran into a pod and watched them as the sun set over the jungle. The night ended with an amazing dinner, while listening to Freddy play the guitar and sing. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The next day we were able to fish for piranha, which we ate for lunch. Although our stay was short, it was an experience of a lifetime. I would highly recommend this lodge as a reasonably priced awesome experience!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobperry100

Hello Bobperry100,

Thank you for your awesome review.

We are happy students discover the Amazon rainforest with Curassow Amazon Lodge.

Our best regards.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

My stay at Palo Verde Lodge was simply the best. Mike helped to plan my trip every step of the way. Carlos, Juan, Alfredo and the lodge staff went out of their way to ensure I was having the best Amazon Expedition possible. The lodge is very clean and extremely attractive with private working showers and bathroom facilities, purified water, and delicious food. I saw so much and got to do so many different things during my week stay at the lodge. "Actually held a sloth, scorpion, piranha, and caiman! "On my return trip home, I had a chance to talk to some individuals who stayed at a different lodge, they didn't seem to have near the same experience that I did; they saw a fraction of the wild life, didn't have some of the modern amenities that Palo Verde provides, and their guides didn't appear to have the same passion for wild-life and the local culture that my guides showed. I returned knowing first hand that I made the right choice with Palo Verde. Thank you Mike and Peru team for making my adventure that of a lifetime.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Hola LanceLSpencer,

Thank you for your awesome review.

We decided to change our former name Palo Verde to Curassow Amazon Lodge but we are the same team.

We are happy you had a great time with us and you had enjoyed our service. We hope you had discovered the Amazon rainforest and its flora and fauna.

We hope organize more expeditions for you and/or your friends in a future.

Our warmest regards.

Reviewed 22 April 2010

This was my second time in less than a year to visit Palo Verde Lodge. I own a video production company (CVT Entertainment) and was hired by Amazon Expeditions to shoot a promotional video for the lodge. On both visits, I was absolutely blown away by how amazing the Palo Verde staff was. From the cooks to the tour guides...every single employee was top notch and went out of their way to make sure each and every person staying at the lodge had an experience of a lifetime. And it's worth noting - I'm one of the pickiest eaters around. I'm in my 30's and basically eat like a kid. Pizza, burgers, junk food, and no veggies. I was pretty nervous thinking there would be no food I would eat at the lodge. I was honestly shocked at how much I loved each and every meal the cooks prepared! I spent a few nights in a hotel in Iquitos and ate out at local restaurants. The food at the lodge is every bit as good, if not better, than anything you will find at a local restaurant.

Whether you're going w/ a group or by yourself, or even backpacking through Peru and looking for an adventure like no other, I highly recommend booking a stay at Palo Verde Lodge. I will no doubt be going back soon and hope to make it an annual tradition.

It's tough to find the words to describe just how incredible and unique this trip is. I created a short video documenting some of the adventures I was taken on during my second stay at Palo Verde Lodge. It really gives you a true taste of some of the things you can experience on your trip.
You can view the video here: http://www.vimeo.com/3461203

Safe travels!

Josh Talkington
Nashville, TN

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank jtalk18
CurassowLodge, Owner at Curassow Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hola Josh!

Thank you very much for your kind words. Your work with us was awesome.
We hope you come again to Curassow Amazon Lodge.

Reviewed 4 November 2009

Palo Verde is a truly one-of-a-kind experience into the heart of the Amazon. An amazing blend of comfort and adventure, this lodge and its staff stand second to none in the region. Every moment—every singe moment—I spent there new, exciting, and inspiring. Take a trip here, and renew your sense of adventure. You'll never forget it.

Things I Especially Liked:
• Plumbing in the jungle (seriously, this is an amazing bit of modernity)
• The kindness of the people
• The fact that my wildest expectations of the Amazon and its inhabitants were exceeded each and every day
• The absolutely stunning array of wildlife—it's a who's who of the animal kingdom
• The night sky—you will never, ever see another one quite like it

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
AmazonExpeditions, Owner at Curassow Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2009

Thanks for the kind words Charlie, we enjoyed having you out at the lodge and hope you can come visit us again soon!