Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
1,206 results
All reviewsresearch centerzip liningpaul beaverpoison dart frogspink dolphinsthe riverchino villagehammock roomfishpersonal guideamazon junglemachu picchuterra firmaprivate guidethe entire staffthe kitchen staffalfredo
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned last week from a trip to the lodge and research center, and had an incredible time. Paul's help with planning the trip was invaluable, and all the staff in country were truly amazing. Very knowledgable about the flora and fauna, and made us all feel very welcome and well taken care of. Looking forward to a return visit!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Drsurya69
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Greetings from Estonia. This was our first trip to South America (even though we have traveled a lot). Its really hard to 'pack' that huge continent into a two week visit. One thing was clear from day one - going to South America and NOT visiting Amazon would not make a lot of sense.

Next question - it's a 6000km long river, WHERE should we spend our precious Amazon week. Since we were flying from EU to Rio de Janeiro, the initial though was 'Manaus in Brazil looks like a suitable spot'. The more I read about Manaus, the more I realized that this huge city with a population of 2 million is not for us. We wanted 'the best that Amazon can offer'. After another week of research I knew - Iquitos in Peru is our spot.

Choosing a lodging was easy - you go to tripadvisor, choose 'specialty lodging in Iquitos area', compare ratings, number of votes and voila - for the first time 'Amazonia Expeditions' became into our lives. True - at first it seemed a bit pricey.

Fast forward into the jungle. The wooden houses were lovely, standing in the water on their wooden poles. We were lucky to travel during the rainy season. Entire forest was covered by 5 meters of water and canoes/boats were the only means of transportation. As I said earlier, I have traveled a lot in exotic places like Namibia, Botswana, Borneo, Guatemala, Nepal etc so its not that easy to impress me. Boat rides on Tahuayo river and canoeing in the flooded forest made me say 'WOW' each and every day. This green, lush environment is amazing!

Our guides Nataly and Weny were super cool. After the daily activities they went the extra mile, sitting with us after the dinner, discussing all sorts of topics from Indian heritage to anacondas.

During that week I did couple of things I have never done before. Piranha fishing was my favorite activity by a long shot. Oh boy the excitement the 4 of us had in the boat, catching some 10 piranhas. Canopy zip-line was a real challenge for me. It took many minutes for Naty to convince me 'its gonna be okay' before I jumped. 2nd and 3rd 'jumps' were pure fun. Thanks Nataly for taking away my fear :)

Oh, and then the food. 3 meals a day. VERY tasty. I'm afraid I gained some 2 kg's during that week. Only problem - it's very hard to dry your clothes in jungle. Especially during the wet season. Humidity is very high.

Bottom line - do I still think that 'Amazonia Expeditions' is a bit pricey? NO. All those guided adventures, excellent food, lodging is very much worth it. Will I go again? You bet!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aadu A
Reviewed 11 April 2014

If you are looking for a wonderful experience in the Amazon rainforest, this is it! The 2 lodges, though a bit rustic, are beautifully kept, clean, and comfortable. The staff will go out of their way to make sure you are in need of nothing. The food, though a bit repetitive, is excellent and the kitchen staff are very accommodating.The guides are excellent...they have vast knowledge of the area and of the many animals and plants you will encounter as well as speaking excellent English. The zip line is a must do, it is an experience unto itself! If you go to the local villages (which I highly recommend!), you will find the local people to be friendly and welcoming. Don't miss having a local woman teach you to make handicrafts in her home, and if you go in late afternoon you can join in a game of soccer or volleyball with the people of Chino village. If you are thinking about a jungle adventure, I would highly recommend this place...I have visited there twice and have plans to return again.

Room Tip: Book early to ensure you get a cabin with a private bathroom at the main lodge.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the main lodge early in February 2014 and we can't wait to go back. We were in contact with Paul (the owner) numerous times while we were planning our trip and he answered all of our questions promptly. Also, we needed a flight changed and after several attempts we were unable to contact Peruvian Air, but Paul took care of it for us. We stayed in room 7 and it was perfect for 2 people. The lodge with all it's amenities is pretty impressive for being in the Amazon, there's even wifi ! We read some reviews about travellers expecting hot showers. The cold showers were refreshing after a long day full of activities. If you want to have a great Amazonian experience, meet amazing people and see a huge amount of wildlife, I suggest you stay here!

The excursions are amazing. We went for a few day and night hikes behind the main lodge, hiked around frog valley, canoed around Lake Tabano (amazing spot, both day and night), boat trips along the river, caught some piranhas plus had a blast ziplining! Paul assigned us Weny as our guide and I'd honestly be surprised if there is anyone better. He's a great guy, funny and very knowledgeable plus he cares about everything around him. He is also very patient as I like to take a million pictures of everything, he was helpful trying to get us up close or in a good position for a good shot. You should visit, and you should definitely request Weny. The chef Gabriel puts out a feast every meal and they're always delicious. Frieda is part of the kitchen staff and she's very cute and funny. The staff at the Tahuayo Lodge are happy, friendly and they treat you like family. A perfect example would be the goodbye cakes they make for the guests the night before they leave the lodge.

There was never a dull moment but the obvious highlight had to have been the 2nd last day. After breakfast, we left for a boat excursion to Lake Tabano. On our way we spotted a Ringed Kingfisher, Kingfishers are my favourite bird and we hadn't seen any yet. While we were taking our pictures we were interrupted by 5 pink and grey river dolphins. They seemed to be teasing us as they would swim underneath our boat and we wouldn't know which side they'd appear on. So you can imagine how tough it was to try and snap a good pic. Their show lasted at least 30min before they swam off. We continued to the flooded forest and soon spotted some Hoatzin birds. On our way back for lunch we heard some loud, strange, hilarious calls that made us laugh. Weny shushed us and whispered "Large River Otters!" Ah!.. He imitated their call and turned our canoe through the brush towards them. I'd say they're pretty territorial because those loud calls meant they knew we were there. We could see a group of 4 on high alert, watching us but we couldn't a get a clear picture. Great experience though! To top it off, when we were docking the boat back at the lodge we spotted an Amazonian Kingfisher perched on a low branch by the dock checking the river for some lunch.

We plan to return again but stay longer and visit the research centre.

Room Tip: We didn't see any other rooms, but room 7 was spacious, had a comfortable bed and power outlets to charge your camera batteries etc. It was close to the dining area but wasn't noisy. I suggest you email Paul early and request a good room. Room 7 is perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Tahuayo Lodge and its associated Amazon Research Center provided us with a marvelous first experience in the Amazon jungle. The facilities and staff make experiencing the habitat and wildlife both intimate and safe. The lodge is built along the lines of those built by the local Riberenos, but windows and ceilings are fully screened to exclude uninvited fauna. Everything is clean and comfortable. The meals deserve special mention because they make use of many (mainly) local produce, including fish, chicken and many local fruits and veggies. Our guide, Donaldo, was enthusiastic about all the things we wanted to do, including multiple night-time paddles to look for and observe wildlife, for which his spotting ability was near supernatural. He also was incredibly knowledgeable about the natural history of local plants and animals. Our visit was in March, the height of the wet season. But, while water levels required us to canoe or boat on most of our explorations, rainstorms were usually brief, with lots of sun between them. On one morning that rain prevented us from getting out into the forest early, the guides boated to El Chino and returned with a woman who gave us lessons in weaving baskets from local plant material. All in all this is a great place, run by people who both know and love the jungle, and how to make their guests comfortable and welcome! Great fun!

Room Tip: While traveling away from the lodge in other parts of Peru, follow the good advice of the lodge owners regarding food safety etc!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple