The Nicol Hotel
US$53
SUN1 OR Tambo(Germiston)
US$45
US$44
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed here for two four days stays in January. The first room I stayed in had roaches. The road noise was very bad. The second room had no roaches but was just as noisy.The rooms are quite bare, and not so clean. Little maintenance issues are neglected, broken soap dishes, taps etc. There is no bar in the hotel, the breakfast options are so limited we drove to a cafe each morning to find something to eat.

Room Tip: As far away from the road as possible
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kiwi_Prawn
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Really noisy hotel, lots of noise from outdoor walkways and neighbouring rooms. Cold rooms (even with A/C turned off). WiFi not working in rooms, ethernet connectivity not worth bothering with. Phone broken in room. Only one free electrical socket - behind desk. Room not big enough to swing a cat in. Desk and seat is only for display - I cant fit my legs under it.

Coffee area is nice, coffee is quite good actually and the service is very smily!
However the noisy refrigerators make it difficult to talk or hear oneself think.

Still, got two more nights here.... maybe it can save itself somehow.

Room Tip: Try and get one on a higher floor, that don't look into the central atrium.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank purple_traveller
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I booked online but was unpleasantly surprised that my booking was not on hotel system! I was booked into a cold, noisy room( I could hear the nearby noisy traffic from the highway very clearly!). I was supposed to be allocated parking by the state personnel but alas, no security personnel could be found so I positioned my car randomly close to the lifts. The room was not only cold but untidy with dirty previously white walls. This hotel clearly needs an urgent upgrade but until then, not recommended ( unless you are intoxicated and really could not care where you slept!).

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I'm writing this in my room, although it would be more accurate to describe it as a small space with a bed in it. Where should I start? Well, when you drive through the security gates you are directed to the visitors car parking space. The guard then fills out an information sheet which you have to give to the reception desk, which is up 2 flights of stairs. Once there you are greeted by a moody young girl who makes no eye contact and simply grunts at you, asks your name, then fills out more paperwork and asks 'how are you paying'? If you want internet access then that's R100 extra for 24 hours. You then have to go and park your car in the other car park, get your luggage and go back up to the room.

That's the general procedure. Now my experience. Internet log on details did not work so went back to reception as there is no working phone to contact reception! I was given a further 4 passwords, which all failed. Eventually the girl found one that worked. The room is extremely small, so if you are planning to bring your cat with you then please don't attempt to swing him around. No bedside lamps, just a big bright light in the centre of the ceiling, so you are either in darkness, or floodlit! The bed has cheap bedding on it, no headboard, so you can't sit up in bed. The air con is useless. It was set to 28 deg, which was too hot for me, so I turned it down, and that's when the hurricane started, with cold air blowing out of the vent making a terrible noise, which at least blocked out the sound of the constant traffic from the highway next to the hotel!
The TV remote didn't work so I asked the maintenance guy to look at it. He arrived, tried the remote, looked at it in a puzzled way for a few moments, and then declared 'the remote is broken' , shrugged his shoulders and said that he would see if they had another one. I'm still waiting 2 hours later! I'm not a betting man, but I don't think that he's coming back !
There is also a connecting door to the room next to me and I can clearly hear the guy next door on the telephone, and that's even with the road noise, the air con, and the constant buzzing noise that I can't find out the cause of.
Not tried to sleep yet - here's hoping!
Do yourself a favour, don't stay here!

Room Tip: There all the same - crap
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed in the Nicol after being booked in by a customer who's buisness is near to the hotel (I would always stay near the city) on arrival the hotel was in the middle of a power cut (no fault of the hotel's) the staff informed me that is was nearly impossible to find alternative accomodation but I still tried via my laptop in the generator powered lobby area.

As I could not connect I decided to check in only after a rate re-negotiation.

The rooms are very bright and airy, nice features however missing some critical thigs that a business traveller would expect,

1. No mini bar or water

2. No room service of any description

3. No bar or restaurant at all.

4. Crazy system for WiFi forcing double purchases for multiple devices (dont you just hate this exploitation??)

5. Only local channels available on a modern TV (all sports and news etc are blocked out) forcing customers wanting to watch sports to hover in the lobby area

I dont want to be too hard on the hotel as it must serve some purpose, however for me in the future not, its simply not up to the standard you expect when travelling.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business