The Nicol Hotel
US$51
SUN1 OR Tambo(Germiston)
US$44
US$43
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week of work and would not recommend it. Hotel is located at the end of an unlit street, the hotel itself isn't very well lit and the service was terrible. The staff was not very helpful with any questions or issues. The other reviews are spot on, wifi doesn't work in the rooms, the standard room is small and only 1 outlet for charging items. Hotel is a mix of travelers and full time residents. They have a small cafe but the food wasn't that good. If you have to stay here, opt for the larger room. These have a balcony, full kitchen and living space. The standard room is basically a bathroom and bed.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I am here for 2 stays over 2 weeks and have found the other poor reviews to be sadly accurate - in particular the one from 21st October.

In particular:
- Many rooms are VERY noisy from the 6 lane highway next door, some colleagues complained they could not sleep due to the noise. I had no problem but I was lucky in getting a quiet room.
- Room was small, about 1m space around the bed and difficult to get the seat back enough to sit at the desk
- Lack of electrical sockets, none available near the bed.
- Service often slow in the reception
- No room service, bar or restaurants - although there are lots of restaurants 5 mins walk away.

Coffee bar servery is nice and car parking is good.

Overall it's a 2* hotel at the most, and if you get a room near the highway bring your ear muffs!

Room Tip: When you book, request a quiet room away from the highway!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ockham
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I am not sure why this place had been classified as 4 stars hotel. It's barely 3 stars at max. I've stayed in quite a few 4 stars hotels around the world but this is far from the standard (way below).
I stayed at Nicol as it is an "approved" hotel by the company I work for. In all fairness it is a safe area to be in if you are visiting Johannesburg for the first time.

- The hotel has no restaurant; There is a sort of a cafe downstairs (if I can call it a cafe) that serves soft drinks and some snacks - that's what I've seen on the shelves, haven't looked at the menu and I am not sure they have one.
- No place for decent breakfast apart from the above mentioned cafe.
- There is no room service. If you are there on a business trip and you leave the office quite late in the evening (like i was) you won't be able to get something to eat in the hotel. You have to eat out and that's before 9pm when the restaurants close.
- Rooms are very small, the bed is barely 2 steps away from the door. There are apartments as well that have attached kitchen should you be interested in that.
- The first room I was given, the neighbors were having a party that night so I asked the reception to move me to another room, which they quickly did. The second room was more quiet but had ANTS!! So soon enough I figured that no matter how many times and rooms I change they will all have something that I won't be happy with.....
- I recommend you take a room towards the pool side of the hotel, otherwise the other side is super noisy being very close to the highway.

Some PROS:
- safe neighborhood
- secured hotel
- updated rooms (but not very clean)
- underground free parking
- 5 min drive to the Eastgate Mall
- walking distance to restaurants (they close at 9pm)

I will most probably choose another hotel next time I am in Johannesburg.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AliO_11
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed here for two four days stays in January. The first room I stayed in had roaches. The road noise was very bad. The second room had no roaches but was just as noisy.The rooms are quite bare, and not so clean. Little maintenance issues are neglected, broken soap dishes, taps etc. There is no bar in the hotel, the breakfast options are so limited we drove to a cafe each morning to find something to eat.

Room Tip: As far away from the road as possible
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kiwi_Prawn
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Really noisy hotel, lots of noise from outdoor walkways and neighbouring rooms. Cold rooms (even with A/C turned off). WiFi not working in rooms, ethernet connectivity not worth bothering with. Phone broken in room. Only one free electrical socket - behind desk. Room not big enough to swing a cat in. Desk and seat is only for display - I cant fit my legs under it.

Coffee area is nice, coffee is quite good actually and the service is very smily!
However the noisy refrigerators make it difficult to talk or hear oneself think.

Still, got two more nights here.... maybe it can save itself somehow.

Room Tip: Try and get one on a higher floor, that don't look into the central atrium.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business