“Great for Business and also leisure if need be.”

Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ossett
London
“Great for Business and also leisure if need be.”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Use this for business stays for Leeds. Great location just off M1. Clean rooms and decent restaurant. Excellent Service and real polite staff. Otherwise lots of dining option availae within couple of miles in town. Excellent pricing for the stay. No fuss at all. I always return there.

• Stayed September 2012
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Peekmeister,

Many thanks for taking the time out to post a review of your recent experience of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

What fantastic feedback - The team were overwhelmed when they read your comments and we will always ensure that all guests stay happy and leave happy. Great Hotels Guests Love are what we are all about and I'm delighted that we've exceeded your expectations.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Arrived at the hotel after a day of shopping in Leeds .Rooms spotless and warm .However food really bad and I can eat anything (although my two friends one celiac the other a veggie )Now we had emailed this LARGE hotel chain of this way in advance how hard was it to get it right .Now they new well in advance, how hard was it to get in some veggie tarts and meat that was not charred to the bone even I could not eat it and believe me I was brought up if was put down to you you eat it.Apart from that we arrived to the dinning room at 6.30 told that we had to sit at separate tables as we were on a coach party.Now we were booked as a party of three so why would I sit on my own ? .Now I was upset and annoyed at the way I was spoken to we had to sit at different tables even though the other side was empty.After a we refused we all sat down at the same table (on hind sight should have just gone out to eat )After a non existing meal we asked if there was anther menu which we would pay for and we were totally ignored no one came back after 15 mins well ? We gave up and went to the welcoming bar area
.Next morning breakfast was not good. food overcooked and dried up small pot of tea and the slowest toast in world arrived we left hungry and I dare say would not be using this Holiday Inn again .Are these franchise chains? if not someone get out there and sort out their chef (but in some cases the staff do need to look at themselves which is actually the management fault) Sorry the review was negative but if you go away for a shop and dinner break you do hope the food would be good or at least edible.

Room Tip: Do not eat at this hotel only book room only and dine out
Thank a.miller653
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear a.miller653

I am delighted that you found your room to be of a high standard, we've really worked hard this year to get this right!

With regards to your F&B experience, I can only apologise for your inconvenience. I have recently appointed a new Head Chef and together with my Food & Beverage Manager, we will be looking to improve the quality & consistency of our overall delivery.

I am certain that on your next visit, you'll notice a huge improvement.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

First impression on a Saturday evening arrival was the bride and a considerable number of guests having a smoke in the entrance - it is an awful first impression and management should make arrangements for smokers to congregate elsewhere - the hotel has extensive space to do so. The sole receptionist was under extreme pressure having to deal with and pacify a queue of persons many of whom had been overbooked. The Duty Manager was asked to assist her but he seemed unable to deal with the situation and made a swift exit. I have experienced similar situations where confirmed guests are allocated their room, formalities completed later, and queues and tempers instantly defused. Not so in this case and our wait of 25 minutes was extremely frustrating. To the restaurant - understaffed and under pressure was the overall impression - catering for the wedding reception at the expense of other guests maybe? Each course arrived at a point where you were just about to question when it would arrive but our palate was very satisfied and quelled our desire to complain. (the Duty Manager was seen serving to our fellow diners - maybe waiting is his forte rather than reception!). The executive room was quiet and spacious. Next morning the front of house was being set up with tables etc for a wedding planner event. It is a most inappropriate area to set up such an event as guests had to negotiate the associated paraphernalia and workers to get to the restaurant for breakfast. Breakfast average - coffee undrinkable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Richardmint

Thank you for your valued feedback - we are in the process of trying to identify a different area for smokers to congregate.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for your delayed check in, poor restaurant experience, & cluttered front of house. This is not a usual representation of our normal high standard and clearly on this occasion, we got this wrong.

With regards to our coffee served at breakfast, we are looking at changing this with our new improved breakfast experience which is soon to be launched.

The next time you are visiting Wakefield, please give me call and I'll make it up to you

Reviewed 20 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here over 2 weekends. The first weekend we were given a small double bedroom which cost more than the larger room we had across the road at Days Hotel. It suited us, but just after 7 we heard the bass music from a party downstairs, he has to leave the tv on to sleep over the noise. The same happened on Saturday night. It didn't bother us too much so we booked the following week. I also mentioned about the noise, to which the girl at reception jokingly suggested I quit smoking and then would have a better room...
We came back the following Friday to be given a larger room on other side of corridor... I thought the noise in the other room was bad, but here you could hear the music word by word. We asked to be moved, speaking to the same girl from week before and I cancelled our room for the 2nd night. She again made another comment saying yes its for the best as we have another family wedding tomorrow. I dont have a problem with having a party but in this hotel the function rooms are close to the bedrooms - smoking rooms,so as a smoker you are made to feel 2nd class. I wont be staying again and I wont be recommending either.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Scoobie83,

I am delighted to inform you that we have now halved the amount of smoking rooms we have within the hotel, with the aim that by the end of this year, we will no longer have smoking rooms as part of our room stock.

I can only apologise for the noise levels coming from our function suite, we will of course ensure that on your next visit, we allocate you a room in the quietest area of the Hotel, thus ensuring that you get a decent nights sleep

UK
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Wakefield, on a recent National Holidays weekend break. From check in to check out, no problems whatsoever. The staff were a delight, from front of house to ancillary staff, so friendly and helpful and the hotel was very clean and bright. The room was lovely and spacious, with drink tray facilities, iron and board and a super flat screen tv. The bed was very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping, although I did wake a couple of times during the night due to some laughter and noise from guests elsewhere in the hotel. Hey ho, there was a wedding party in the hotel and I don't begrudge others having fun and a good time, there's enough doom and gloom in the world. It certainly would not prevent me from recommending this hotel.

The evening meal was very nice with a pasta choice for vegetarian option but I'm sure the staff would have provided something else if necessary without causing a fuss. Breakfast was one of the best I've had in this type of hotel,. Thank you Holiday Inn, Wakefield and thank you to all the staff for a job well done.

Dear Dollydimple

Manchester
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed with two friends while on a weekend trip with National Holidays to Skipton, Haworth and Harrogate Flower show. Dinner was a little dissapointing, (we had a set menu buffet in our own part of the dining room), there was not enough food available to give all our party a choice of main and dessert. Breakfast the next morning was totally different with fresh fruit and all the ingredients for a full English. The room we had was very nice and spacious and included a settee and the bed was very comfortable. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 5 was a good room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear RizadoManchester

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

A family member wanted to do one of those coach trips that take you round an film location area (Last of the Summer Wine and Emmerdale in this case - each to their own!) and this trip included a one night hotel stay in the Holiday Inn off the M1. To say we were approaching this whole trip with trepidation was an understatement....

However, although we were staying only one night as part of a big coach gang we were welcomed from check-in to check-out from friendly, efficient staff.

We had 3 rooms, 2 double and 1 twin and all were very clean and a reasonable size, with reasonable wardrobe and storage space. All rooms had a iron and ironing board plus decent sized mugs on the tea tray (always a favourite instead of small fiddly cups). There are hairdryers but they are fixed to the inside of the desk drawer and quite flimsy so was glad I had my own.

Comfortable beds and the pillows were even labelled up as soft or firm.

The tv wasnt working in our room but one call to reception and a lady (kay?) from housekeeping arrived very quickly with new batteries for the remote control. The rooms backed onto the rear carpark but there wasn't much noise even with windows open, just the occaisonal rumble from flights overhead (Leeds Bradford airport maybe? but there was no flight noise in the night).

As we were on a package trip dinner and breakfast were buffet style, but the quality of food was very good although perhaps a little limited for vegetarian (pasta) but I guess you could ask for an alternative if not suitable. The restaurant staff were very polite and welcoming, especially at dinner.

The only issue for us was stairs. Our elderly relative struggles with stairs and our rooms were first floor but to get to the lift you still had to use stairs. We managed but if you have serious mobility issues you may want to check re access in advance.

Overall we had a great stay. We didnt feel less welcomed or valued even though we were in a coach party, the staff are a true asset to this hotel and we would definitely return if visiting the area.

(the coach trip was also good fun for anyone considering the same sort of trip, even for non tv watchers!).

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, check access in advance.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Dennis-n-minnie

Jonathan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ossett
Ramada Wakefield
Premier Inn Wakefield South (M1, Jct39) Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
Waterton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walton

Been to Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40? Share your experiences!