“very comfortable”

Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ossett
Reviewed 8 October 2013

stayed here one night on the way back from scotland with shearings but wish it had been more.very comfortable room and bed, good size TV,good evening meal and breakfast. Staff were pleasant.What more could you ask?

Room Tip: try to have the south side
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I didn't stay here: I attended a conference here today. Forty-five of us and a presenter spent three hours in a too-small room squashed together in rows of little chairs. I've had more room on economy flights. This was the first conference I've ever been to where there were no tables, but it would have been impossible to write anything down. When I opened my pack I elbowed the lady next to me in the ribs. Every time the guy on my other side shifted position (and three hours is a long time to sit bolt upright in a chair with your elbows at your sides!) he kicked me or nudged me. The last half-hour was surreal. The power failed so we lost the whiteboard, the lights and the air conditioning. There we all sat, listening to our presenter reading his notes from the screen of his laptop.

One extra star for the nice Walkers biscuits at the coffee break. Otherwise - dismal.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Natalia1806,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room chosen by your conference coordinator prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I dont really complain however I feel on this occasion other travellers need to be made aware of my experience at this hotel. Stayed 1 night on 2/10/13. I am a non smoker and to be placed into a smokers room was the last thing I wanted. I travel the country frequently and use the same hotel booking agency. When I complained at reception and requested a room change the receptionist informed me that the hotel was full and all non smoking rooms were taken.She also put full blame on my company stating that they had arranged smoking rooms which I find hard to believe. She stated that my room could be deodourised which I accepted. I did not hold much hope as all this entailed was a few squirts with the air freshener. This process made no difference at all. I slept with the window open for obvious reasons only to be woken up on a regular basis by the air conditioning unit located outside my window. This kicked in every 5 minutes. The room 205 in my opinion should never be used for paying guests incuding those who smoke as it is impossible to be guarenteed a decent nights sleep. To add further insult when asked by the night porter if I had enjoyed my stay I was informed that 3 executive rooms were available. OK I accept the point that my company do not pay for me to stay in an executive room, but it would have been a non smoking room and I am certain it would have given me a good nights sleep and saved me time giving this hotel negative feedback. I do feel that the receptionist was economical with the truth when dealing with my complaint.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank FamilyNYorks
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear FamilyNYorks,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is very unfortunate that you were disappointed with this visit most especially with the condition of the room that you were given and quality of service received. Kindly be assured your feedback has been noted and will be addressed accordingly with our team to consider for improvements needed in our efforts.

I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements in the future.

Pam G

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here using my reward points, earned staying in other far better Holiday Inns including holiday inn express, for two nights 19-21 August , with my husband and 13 year old son,for purpose of visiting family. On arrival the woman on reception just stated " oh, your envelope will be on the desk", pointing to a number of envelopes there. There was no real welcoming feel , just completed the usual standard form and not recognising my rewards point holder status, apart from trying to sell us faster Internet connection which we declined. We enquired about breakfast, but as we she stated we would also have to pay for our 13 year old, who eats very little - we felt the £10.95 price was rather excessive for half a slice of toast that he would probably eat!!! - we all ate elsewhere, which was a pity as I've always found the breakfasts at holiday inns very good. The room was okay, but on our way out to visit our family we requested additional pillows, as advertised that Holiday Inn has a choice of, only to be told, by a different reception staff " oh, I've just been told we don't have any" . We were rather flabbergasted that a hotel that did not appear full, did not have any extra pillows!!!! Fortunately on our return, we were advised that they had got some and had been placed in our room - which indeed they had. Thankfully, we spent little time in this hotel, using it only for a base whilst visiting our family and sadly if this was our first visit to your group of hotels it would certainly be our last. If visiting that area again and needing to stay in hotels, I would not return to this particular one, probably choosing my preferred budget price, but not budget service, hotel that also provides complementary breakfasts for under 16's and has pillows on first asking!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Judith R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Judith R,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and the breakfast policy. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I travelled fron South Devon to Wakefield for a course - 5 hours by train. The course is layer on today so I'm hoping it'll be better... but not optimistic.

The check in was reasonably painless, although hospitable is one of many words I wouldn't use to describe the welcome. But hey, it's Yorkshire!

The room they put me in was a twin at the secon furthest point from everywhere. Not a massive problem in itself but I'd 'requested' a double - of which there were none left... okay. Minor gripe.

The twin beds were different heights, the radiator was stuck in the on position, the air-con blew either hurricane or tornado and turned itself off after around an hour, the toilet flush rotated 360 degrees, the case stand was broken and the side table seemed to held together by willpower alone.

The food was, £12.95 for 12 'rustic' chips a piece of cod (might have been Haddock - wasn't obvious) a terrine of mushy peas and a slice of lemon served on a chopping board. It tasted okay, but given the fish appeared to have been rolled flat prior to cooking, it felt like a complete rip-off.

Stella Artois £ 4 a pint... short night at the bar...

Then there was Breakfast: £11.95 for a continental and £3 more to add the cooked. Add another £2.50 to have it in the room: £17.49! So I thought what the hell, give it a go, fill in the card and stick it on my door handle (as per instructions) and voila! Nothing. Card still there this morning at 7:15 when I went to check I hadn't missed the knock at 7am.

So I'm here in McDonalds a 30 minute walk away having spent way less and enjoying the food.

I can't explain how disappointed I am. Profit t before people - clearly aimed exclusively at the corporate client - I would advise anyone else to give it a miss.

It's a shame because the Holiday Inn at Gloucester has always been excellent and I expected much, much better from this one.

Sorry!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Adam L

Dear Adam L,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the reservation confusion, room amenities and the food selection. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed one night as part of a National Holidays mystery tour. When we first pulled into car park our first thoughts were "Why here ?" It's very close to the M1 junction 40 with nothing very close it appeared. We later found out we were approx 4 miles from town centre so it wasn't as far out as first thought. Check in was quick and easy. We were told dinner was 6pm which only left us 45 minutes to get ready. Went in to restaurant to be shown into a very squashed small area with 48 places seton a mixture of side booths, small and larger tables. Only problem was some tables set for 4 people were occupied by 2 people and there was no place where my wife and 2 friends could sit and we were told by a very unhelpful staff member that we would have to split up. We told them this was not an option for us and wanted to sit together. Another foursome were also in the same situation. Eventually another member of staff who wad far more helpful than the first helped by allowing us to sit in the normal restaurant which was empty of any diners. Dinner was acceptable with salad bar, and a selection of main meals followed by a nice selection of desserts. Breakfast was really good, plenty of choice and enough to satisfy the biggest of hungers. Bedrooms good size, clean and comfy. Apart from incident at dinner it was a good stopover.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for Christmas 2012 and we were not disappointed.
The room was a good size with a couch and chair for comfort.
The cleanliness was superb and the decor tasteful.
The breakfast was a buffet style with plenty of choices from continental to the full monty!

Christmas day dinner was superb, with a beautiful banqueting room suitably decorated and silver service to ensure that the presentation of food was matched with quality.
The food itself was excellent and plenty of it. We had ordered our choice a few weeks before visiting.
An added bonus was the visit by Father Christmas who gave all the diners a gift ( I had a C.D ).
There were lounge areas where you could either watch T.V. or listen to quiet background music.There was a bar nearby which catered not only for alcoholic drinks but also provided coffee.
Although the hotel is situated by a motorway, there was minimal noise. The area adjacent to the hotel had horses grazing which you could view from the dining room, very pleasant surroundings.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make sure that your stay was a pleasant one.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting either an overnight stay or a few days break.
We stayed for a few days and were able to visit the Hepworth Gallery as well as driving to pretty spots including where "the Last of the Red Wine" was filmed ( there is a pub called the wrinkled stocking!) Give it a try, you will not be disappointed by your stay at The Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ossett
Ramada Wakefield
Waterton Park Hotel
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
Best Western Hotel St Pierre
#1 of 1 in Newmillerdam

Been to Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40? Share your experiences!