“Average in every way, really”

Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ossett
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here in December as a convenient spot for a works party stopover.

Average in every way – room was ok, clean enough, quiet (which was nice as there was a disco on just up the corridor but the soundproofing in our room must have been good!) Service at check-in was ok. Price was reasonable. Nice size TV in the room, alas our remote control didn’t work (I didn’t bother to complain as we were just using the place as somewhere to rest our heads).

A good example of a hotel that is “just enough” so long as your expectations are not high.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear chippy_chips,

Thank you for your feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. I appreciate the kind remarks on our accommodations and hotel service. However, I apologize if you found some aspects of the amenities less than satisfactory. Your comments have been forward to the appropriate department so that any necessary improvements can be made.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to exceeding your expectations during your next trip the area.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Normal Holiday Inn standards, and so a decent place to stay.

The hotel is within sight of the M1, but it remains inaudible in all of the rooms that I have stayed in thanks to good insulation.

Rooms are clean and tidy and offer a good nights sleep.

Not tried the restaurant for anything other than breakfast, which is normal large hotel standard of a buffet under warming lamps. Whilst that means that it isn't the best, it certainly measures up to the standards that would be expected.

A large seating area is available for business travellers to conduct business or meetings on arrival, with the bar adjacent to provide refreshments.

Staff have always been friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Matt H
Thank you for your recent review and delighted to read you had a good stay. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Leeds Wakefield again.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My partner and I have reglularly stayed at The Holiday Inn Wakefield over the last 5 years or so but on the last four occasions we were stopping for a weekend and were given a room over the disco as there were weddings there on the Friday and Saturday. Complained but nothing was done. On the last two occasions (including yesterday 12th January) we checked in, completed everything and they took a swipe of our card and the very last thing the receptionist mentioned was "sorry the dining room is closed tonight". We would have been less cross had this not been the first time it had happened to us bit it wasn't. I was quite cross and asked why we were not contacted beforehand as this had happened before and I really felt they should have let us know in advance. She explained they would be serving meals in the small lounge area where the tables are so low it would be impossible to eat from them. My partner then queried that if meals were being served in the lounge area how come not the dining room? Fair comment I thought. Receptionist said as it was Sunday and quiet they had very few staff on!! Still did not explain anything. To cut a long story short they phoned the room and said they had set a place for us in the dining room. Partners meal was good I have to say but my burger was "burned to a crisp". Never again, their service and food standards are now really shabby, better places to go.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Smudge210252
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review and your valuable feedback. I am very sorry to read your stay was not up to our usual high standards. I have spoken to the team and there appears to be some confusion regarding your dining experience. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you. Please contact me directly on 01924 230600.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Went for their new year gala dinner including overnight stay and brunch New Year's Day. Was a great value experience. The hotel is in excellent condition the staff without exception were friendly and very helpful. The room was excellent and well equipped with everything you could have wanted. The evening started with a champagne reception. There followed a four course meal which had an excellent choice on each course, the whole meal was excellent and came timely and was hot. There was a disco to accompany the night and this was well presented and was well received by the mixed audience. The brunch next day was of an equally high standard. All together a great experience and great value for money. Would certainly go there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear RobertK
Thank you for your recent review and delighted to read you had a great stay and superb New Years Eve. Will be sure I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Leeds Wakefield again.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed in the Holiday during the New Year break, travelling as a party on a coach trip. The food quality was not as expected from a Holiday Inn, I have stayed in several over the years and never experienced such poor quality. There were no menu's available to state the set menu although I asked on several occasions, there did not appear to be a vegetarian option either.
The breakfast was alright however the food was cold. I sent mine back but it was returned microwaved!
This was not just my opinion but other guests on the trip, many were elderly and do not have a computer, so I said I would voice our opinions.
These complaints were high-lighted to staff and managers in the Hotel, but nothing addressed during our four day stay.
Overall the stay was spoilt because of the issue with food.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Audrey E
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, which are very much appreciated. I am very sorry to read that you didn't find your stay as pleasant as you would have hoped due to the issues with the restaurant and food standards. Please be assured that these matters will be reviewed by The Food and Beverage Team and of course will be addressed accordingly, as we strive to become the best hotel we can be. We sincerely hope you give us the privilege to continue to serve you in the near future. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Holiday Inn Leeds Wakefield.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed in this hotel for couple of days overall the stay was comfortable. Breakfast was good with options to choose.
One eveningthere was a party that continue late in the night. The high volume of music bother the residents of the hotel. Managment need to look into the matter.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear suhailahmad7676
Thank you for your recent review and I am happy you have a comfortable stay and took our great breakfast. We will take your comments on board about the disco noise and so we can make our customer experience even better for our guests. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Having stayed before I guess you can say I'm slightly biased but it's still worth a visit when in the area. Being next to the motorway network makes it easy to find and eliminates the hassle of having to queue through city centre traffic(although there is currently central reservation upgrades going on through J40 on the M1). The staff offer a warm welcome and also try to offer me the room that I prefer. This mostly offers me a quiet nights sleep but passing coach tours can sometimes change this.
The food is of a high standard and if you like garlic, I strongly recommend the home prepared garlic mayo. The forest fruit compote in the breakfast selection is also a must to try.
Yes I would stay again.

Room Tip: Any light sleepers should make sure they are away from the conference rooms and on the upper floors.