“Try the steaks!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ossett
Bath, United Kingdom
“Try the steaks!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed for one night in order to visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the Barbara Hepworth Museum - the hotel is well placed for both, each being about a ten minute drive.
We had a dinner, bed and breakfast deal, which was very good value. We really enjoyed our evening meal in an almost empty restaurant. The steaks were better than ones I have eaten in restaurants that would charge double the price!
Although the hotel is on a motorway junction, we were offered a room as far away from the M1 as possible and could not hear any road noise. The pillows were comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.
Finally, this rather ordinary hotel is somewhere I would return to because, on this and previous visits, all the staff we came into contact with were unfailingly professional, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far as possible away from the M1!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hello neverlostforwords,

We constantly strive to provide our guests with the best possible hotel experience & are very pleased you enjoyed your stay.

I have passed your feedback on to our team & we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Sarah Bestwick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel as part of a National Express holiday. I was very disappointed by it. I must admit the staff were friendly enough and really helpful towards the kids that were staying and made adjustments to the meal to accommodate them. The food however for the adults was poor. The soup starter was very watery. The meat in the main was nice however the potatoes were under cook and the veg was over cooked to the point it was like mush. The room was located on the 2nd floor - the room was clean however was tiny was barely enough room to move around. There was only 2 plugs and they were difficult to reach and the desk was far to big for the room. There was a wedding at the hotel and I could hear the music on the second floor till well after 12:30 - it was so bad that I could feel the bass through the floors (please note we were not even directly above the room the wedding was in). When I rang the reception to find out what time the wedding was due to end he asked was it due to the music (I guess I was not the only person who complained) I explained the situation I was assured that the bass would be turned down however this didn't happen. The wi-fi name was free wi-fi however when you tried to connect to this is advised you it wasn't free it was actually chargeable (by the hour!) - don't call it free wi-fi if it is far from it. I have put a complaint in with the holiday company that I booked with. I would not stay here again.

3 Thank Izzy F
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Izzy F

I was deeply disappointed to read your comments about your recent stay with us, here at the Holiday Inn Leeds-Wakefield.

As a hotel, we strive to achieve the best possible service to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, I am so sorry that on this occasion this did not occur.

After reading your comments, I have today spoken with the Management Team in the hotel and please be assured that corrective action will take place to resolve these issues. Unfortunately, due to the layout of our hotel, noise can sometimes be heard in certain locations of the hotel from a function being held in our Walton Suite. Our Reservations Department do try their best to allocate non-party guests as far away from these areas as possible.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter further with you in person, to enable us to identify key areas on which we can improve, and also offer you my personal apologies. I would be most grateful f you could contact myself directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience on 01924 230600.

Once again, I am sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay with us on this occasion, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Kind regards
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was the first time we stayed at this hotel. It is located very close to the National Coal Mining Museum. The staff was wonderful, extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is a little dated, however the rooms are clean and nice. The hotel has a restaurant with breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is not complimentary with a room. The breakfast was pretty expensive so we did not eat there. You have to pay for WIFI by the hour. (Not very good). However the staff did mention that free internet will be provided in June. Aside from a few flaws the hotel is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby. The closer to the lobby, the noisier it is.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello anthony342013,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
We are proud to be located in a prime position for some fantastic Yorkshire attractions including the National Coal Mining Museum.
For your information breakfast can be purchased when making your room reservation proving to be the most cost effective option.

Once again thank you for your review & we hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've been staying in this hotel on and off for the past few years and it makes a great base for me when working in Wakefield.

The hotel is clean, tidy and the staff are all very pleasant. I tend to have the room service instead of sitting in the restaurant, which looks more like an airport lounge to me. The food is pretty good quality and served quickly.

The hotel has all of the things you\'d expect from the Holiday Inn chain, except for one....

Free Broadband is an absolute most for business travellers and will influence my (and I'm sure many others) decision on where to choose. I've spoken with the staff at this chain twice now and both times I've been told "it's coming soon". When? The first time I asked was 18 months ago.

It's one of the basic requirements now, electricity, heat, light, shower and free internet. C'mon Holiday Inn, catch up!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a club card and you'll get an executive room when you book.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear MarkTindal,

Firstly, let me thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding our hotel and your stay with us.

With regards to your WiFi I am happy to tell you that IHG rewards Platinum members & IHG rewards Gold members are now eligible for free WiFi in our hotel. If you are an IHG rewards Base member our hotel will have complimentary WiFi in July.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Holiday Inn Leeds-Wakefield again in the future.

Watford/London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel is right by the M1 junction 40 not far outside of Wakefiled, we came up for a family wedding with the church service in Wakefield and the reception in Pontefract, both easy to get to and from by car or taxi from this base, Leeds city centre is close by as well.
The Staff were friendly, rooms were the usual holiday inn standard the restaurant when we first arrived on a Thursday was busy and we got the impression the staff were not used to lots of diners normally as there were alot of food items not available and just a couple of staff members to attend the bar and restaurant although a member of the reception staff came to help.Friday night was better as quieter for diners but still food items unavailable, on Sunday night there was only one staff member to cover the bar/restaurant and only one cook but they did a great job looking after myself,wife,son and our unexpected guests the newly married couple and my brother and his wife, they let us know they were short staffed and took our food orders whille we were cathcing up with wedding events at the bar.We stayed on a four night breakfast dinner deal which if we stayed here again i would not do, breakfast was good but dinners not.
The hotel on all days had buisness conferences/courses going on,even on the Sunday, so i believe the hotel is geared up more for this type of guest than the tourist type but overall our stay was good and if we were to come back to explore the Leeds/Castleford area we would stay here because of where it is located.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor level facing the car park/M1 have a good view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hello Watfordchaps,

I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate parties so we can improve our services where we may have fallen short.

Our hotel is committed to guest satisfaction & we are grateful for your feedback.

I hope your next stay with us all our areas will meet the standards you have come to expect when staying at our property

Many Thanks

Freetown, Western Area, Sierra Leone
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I checked in to this hotel, 27th March 2014 for 4 nights. The checkin was great except I was given a room that was already occupied, the man who I awoke from his sleep wasn't too pleased.
The rooms are fine but any noise from the corridor is an issue. When I stayed, there was a girls football squad in the hotel, they were great girls, but any noise travelled into my room.
The Breakfast menu is OK, pretty standard, my gripe being to get a tea or coffee I always had to ask and was never offered a refill. Its petty but just the sort of thing that is annoying.
I ate two nights in the hotel with a Vegetarian colleague from India. The 1st meal was disapointing but the 2nd meal was just excrutiatingly poor (Veg Chilli). On 1st serving the rice was still raw. After a further wait it was represented and was just about cooked but utterly hopeless. I have a 12 year old son who cooks better! The rice is cooked without even a hint of salt, the chilli could only have been some mixed beans, a tin of tomatoes and a dollop of spicy sauce. It s just unbelievable such rubbish could be put on a Hotel menu. In the 21st Century you can't get away with this approach to Vegetarians - lazy - so outdated.
The bar staff on two nights were great but after 11 cant accept payment. So on the 1st night I signed it to my room, on the second night I got a drink c. 10:45 and after having a sip was told I couldnt sign for the drink.
As a final irritation, the internet is £12.95 for 24 hours, At home I pay less for a much faster optic fibre link.
I am voting with my feet, a Premier Inn or the Cedar Court would all have been better. I recall that the latter also has a well equipped gym.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
SarahB190729, General Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Peter D

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please accept our apologies for the service you experienced on your arrival at the hotel.

We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are concerned when situations such as these occur. We will be in contact to follow up on your experience.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel is what you expect in a Holiday Inn. Pretty standard. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly.

Food in the restaurant was rather overpriced and there wasn't much choice unfortunately

Location wise - ideal for M1. Plenty of parking

In all, not a bad choice, excellent value for money on a room only basis

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear chezwylde

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us, and for your kind words regarding our hotel and members of staff.
We value our customer feedback as this enables us to further improve the quality and service we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.
If there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Sarah Bestwick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ossett
Ramada Wakefield
#11 of 21 in Wakefield
CitiLodge Hotel
CitiLodge Hotel
#19 of 21 in Wakefield

Been to Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40? Share your experiences!