“Highly overpiced for an average meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Araliya - CLOSED

Araliya
Price range: US$24 - US$94
Cuisines: Asian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Melbourne, Australia
“Highly overpiced for an average meal”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Highly overpiced. Very expensive meals and beverage, The fine dinning restaurants are more cheaper compared to this restaurant. Meals are average nothing exotic to charge that high price.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Adrian A

christchurch
“Exquisite dining experience of the most beautiful yummy sharp taste of different foods.”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My adult daughter had already eaten here, as she had lived nearby, and I was a bit ho hum about another small restaurant probably just giving an ordinary dining out experience, however she said, Mum & Dad, we must go, As I organize a dineout club in New Zealand I have eaten in pretty good places, so I can honestly say the quality of the food, the presentation and the service was excellent. The tastes of the Sri Lankan food was exquisite. The size of the portions just right. Check their menu out on their web page www.araliya.com.au I would certainly go there again.

• Visited December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Not brilliant, but good”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Liked the food. Not blown away, but would go back

Melbourne
“Araliya - delightful ambience”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Carole and I visited Araliya recently with a party of six other old friends, on the recommendation of two of those friends. Pleased to report nothing disappointed us!

The hostess was warm and welcoming and soon had entrees underway. These were well presented, delicate yet spicy and a delicious start to a dinner. Do try the Baked Crab - it's great!

The wine list is more than adequate and spirits, etc are available.

Our group essentially let our hostess guide us with the choice of mains, some of which were taken from the menu and others from the “Specials of the Day" blackboard. We had several vegetable accompaniments served as well plus rice with various flavours.

Of particular note, the lamb presented was delicious indeed, very “moorish" as were the Coriander Prawns and Jaggery Beef. I could go on but would run out of paper extolling the virtues of each of the dishes. Of particular note, the beetroot served was my favourite, as a long-term beetroot lover it was terrific to find a restaurant serving this as part of their vegetable accompaniment. Also, their pumpkin was superb.

We cannot comment on the dessert menu as having been fed so well with the entrees and main course, we had little room to include desserts. However, having examined the dessert menu, I can confirm there is much to choose from and I'm sure diners will find plenty to please their tastes.

Wait staff were very pleasant and accommodating. We did not find the interval between entree and main course to be excessive and timing was well paced to allow time for conversation between courses and letting the entrees settle.

The quality is excellent and fresh, cooked seafood certainly predominates on the menu.

One last point we all found an excellent aspect was the restaurant is well set out with plenty of room to move between tables so that, unlike other restaurants, you do not get the feeling of being "sardines in a can" – a very refreshing change. The restaurant has beautiful ambience and is in subtle tones which makes the dining experience very pleasant indeed.

There is no doubt that we will return to this delightful restaurant, it is like an oasis in a small desert.

• Visited November 2011
melbourne
“Special - but is it...”
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Now this is an unusual one - fantastic food (try the vegetables..) , helpful and obliging staff, good decor .

I have been here 4 or 5 times , so I must like it - but each time I leave I am still not sure , so try it again in 1-2 years .. I cannot work it out - does it need the X factor - it is certainly close to being something big- so what is missing ....