“Good value.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hawthorn
Melbourne
“Good value.”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I recently stayed overnight in a single room apartment at Hawthorn Gardens. The staff were very helpful, very forthcoming about information regarding location and access and were able to make arrangements for my late check-in.

The unit itself was very spacious and tidy with all the bits and pieces you would expect in a self-contained unit. You get a full-sized working kitchen, a very big and comfortable lounge/dining area and a large combined laundry/bathroom as well.

While the single bedroom units ARE on the Toorak Road side of the complex and there is definitely street noise all through the evening, the bedroom is situated at the back of the unit away from the street. Closing the bedroom door effectively cancels out 99% of the noise - I am a very light sleeper when away from home and I slept very well right through to the morning. I also definitely appreciated being able to park inside the complex (underground carparking) though signage pointing the way out of the car park and to reception wasn't anywhere to be found so I sort of wandered around the complex until I found where I needed to be.

I do have to say that while everything in the unit was clean and tidy, it looked well-used. I found the bathroom a bit pokey and in need of a sprucing up - a fresh coat of paint would really help! The ventilation fan vents were also very dirty and dusty and need a good clean. I would also say that housekeeping needs a talking to about the overuse of room deodorant and making sure they pick up the rubbish left by the previous occupiers. There was an empty pizza box left outside my unit which was there when I checked in and still there when I checked out.

The bedroom was very comfortable and warm and there's loads of space to store your gear if you're staying longer than a night or two.

On the whole, I found Hawthorn Gardens very good value for money. It's not a high-class hotel by any stretch but it's comfortable and all the amenities are there and the same arrangement in the CBD could easily cost double or three times what you pay at HG. I will happily use it as a regular stop when visiting friends in the area and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ren R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sydney
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at their 3 bedrooms townhouse for 3 nights. It is very close (walking distance) to Coles and just 2 blocks from the main road for easy assess to anywhere. It is also reasonable drive to the main shops. Overall, the location is great and not that far from CBD. All facilities are available. However, the WiFi signal is very poor and the peak hour traffic noise. Overall, it is a GOOD place to stay!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I, accompanied by our adult daughter, stayed for three nights in July at the Hawthorn Gardens apartments. We could not have been happier with the apartment. We stayed in a townhouse with separate downstairs lounge, dining and kitchen, with bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. Downstairs also included a full laundry and extra toilet. We had all the facilities we needed at our fingertips for a thoroughly enjoyable and very reasonably priced stay.The whole apartment has ducted heating which was thoughtfully turned on prior to our arrival. We had a hire car which we parked downstairs at no cost. Wi fi was also free. A five minute walk up the hill was a shopping centre. Our check in was swift and considerate - I had an injured foot and all care was taken to ensure I could manage the steps. Our luggage was also brought down to our car for us! Our apartment was at the back of the complex and was very quiet. I would definitely stay here again when visiting Melbourne.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the complex, away from Toorak Road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 255325Jennyk
Maffra, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

we have stayed here, because of an appointment near by. we found reception quite good to change rooms, due to heath issues.. the rooms were appropriate to our need, with some minor hiccups, but no drama to panic about. the staff were most obliging, I will come back again

Room Tip: ground floor if you have disablitys eg arthritis and walking
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Very clean and spacious apartment with everything we need. Full kitchen is very handy for a family stay. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Very good value for money. Shopping centre is just around the corner with cafes and variety of shops. Will sure recommend it!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed here recently for business and hated it. The lady on reception was very unwelcoming and made you feel like you were disturbing her just by checking in. The rooms are very dated and they use so much room deodorant that I had a headache from the smell. Makes me query while they feel the need to bath the room in so much smell - are they trying to mask another smell? The 1bdrm rooms are located right next to a main road and it is VERY noisy. You struggle to hear the TV above the road noise. I did enquire as to getting a room away from the road and was advised rudely by reception that unless I was prepared to pay for a three brm unit then I was not allowed to move. The bed felt like I was lying directing on the base as there was no softness or give to the mattress at all. The worst nights sleep I have had for along time. Will never go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road - but expect the request to be ignored.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chelle1607

Travellers are raving about these Hawthorn hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Great price. Clean and big units. very convenient location. Stockland coles nearby and the taronga station is not far away too. They service apartments 2 times a week but thats not too bad.
I will surely recommend it

Room Tip: Had a ground floor room which was great
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorn
Glenferrie Hotel
#1 of 3 in Burwood
Quest Kew
Quest Kew
#2 of 4 in Kew

Been to Hawthorn Gardens Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!