“I prefered Aljun castle”
Review of Karak Castle

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

We made a detour to see Karak Castle. The view from the castle is very nice. The castle by itself is massive, but there is few to see.

All reviews
"interesting place"
"pit stop"
"bit out of the way"

Reviewed 7 May 2018

very nice Crusader Castle with ruins and some buildings restored, worth the visit - around one hour and a very nice panoramic view of the town, but watch out for the guides in front of the entrance, some of them are not friendly and pushy

1  Thank Piotr M
Reviewed 7 May 2018

This ancient castle has a very rich and interesting history and worth 1.5-2 hours of visiting. I am not very interested in archaeological sightseeings and usually try not to visit such places, but this time I made an exception (due to very interesting descriptions in my guidebook) and it was a huge pleasure. I really felt like touching the history!!

The castle is big, there are any corridors, vaults, walls, passages that are available for discovering. For some of them you will need a flashlight. From the walls you will see very interesting panoramic views, not very often in Jordan. Definitely recommend this place!!

Reviewed 3 May 2018

Background:
My friend and I stopped by at Kerak on the way from the Dead Sea to Petra.
The drive along the King's Way was in itself truly spectacular.
I had heard much more about Kerak than about say, Jerash or Ajloun, before I visited Jordan

On the ground:
We wound up at Kerak early-evening on a pleasant breezy day.
Amazing weather for a quick walk about the castle.

We decided to get a guide (10 JD, not cheap) but he did a good job of giving us the lowdown on the castle's history, from Reynald to Saladin

There is a control tower area/outpost that you can climb up to for panoramic and quite frankly, breathtaking views of the surrounding valley and villages.

Bottomline:
Worth a stop-over, probably worth getting a guide considering the signage didn't seem too clear (unlike in Jerash).
Easy to wrap up your visit and take in the views in an hour.
I'd rate it at 3.5 stars if I could, all things considered.

1  Thank HariprasadG12
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 April 2018

We stopped off on our way south and were really glad we had. The town itself is interesting to wander around and the castle offers plenty to explore and panoramic views of the surrounding area.

Interpretation isn't great, but we used the Lonely Planet guidebook and that was plenty - most of the experience is the pleasure of wandering a ruined castle and looking at the incredible views, with very few people to disturb you.

1  Thank Mel_Who_Sings