Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We stayed the second time in 2010. When we've been there in 2005. there were 4 rooms in a wooden with corrugated iron roofs. We felt in love with that place imediately. Such a calm, nice place and specially the family is very nice. We stayed longer than we planed. We practiced and learnt alot spanish, enjoyed the food and the swimming in the lake.
in 2010 we were surprised how much changed. They made a big effort. A lot of beautiful new buildings, nice trees, much more choice in menus (even european food), a shorter track to the lake (1 min). What stayed is the low price an the very nice family (one guy even remembered us, after 5 years.
We went guided to the volcan maderas, which was a strenuous but nice walk, rewarded with a great view at the top.

Room tip: Its worth it to take a Double Room. best deal
Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

For me it was the third time visiting this hotel. Back in 2005 it was even smaller than it is now, with all rooms built of wood, but I immediately fell in love with the atmosphere and the location. Nowadays it has grown a bit, the wooden buildings have been replaced by stone and concrete ones but the atmosphere is still like living with a Nicaraguan family.

It's quiet out there, it's local life. The hotel is surrounded by nature and has a lovely small private beach a little more down hill. Rooms are basic, some with a private shower, and I always slept very well on good matrasses.

The family is very friendly and once you got to know them a little better it will feel like being part of them. For sure I absolutely don't recognize the stories about scams etc. told in some of the reviews above. Those things absolutely don't fit together with my experiences and the fact that in the Lonely Planet of 2007 this hotel was mentioned as 'the most recommended business by readers in this book'.

So if you feel like experiencing the real Island life of Ometepe I would recommend you to go to Monkey's Island Hostal. Try the hammocks, have a good swim and enjoy the atmosphere and the very good food.

Date of stay: November 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed at Monkey Island hostal, and I completely agree with the first review.
This hostal tried to rip me off at every available opportunity. Here is a list of "incidents":

1. I arrive and there is a very large dorm room (with the cheapest beds) which is completely empty but it is not available so I have to take a more expensive bed in a 4 bed dorm. although there are only 3 poeple at the hostel.
2. I book horseriding (which is about 5 times more expensive than anywhere else) for two hours, but when the horse turns up it is skinny, malnourished thing that I feel sorry to ride and am being led on a bicycle by a boy who keeps whipping the horse. The whole experience is very uncomforatble so I say after 5 mins I want to shorten the trip to 1 hour. When I go to pay, the owner inists I pay for two hours because he had to bring the boy in especially. I try not to cause trouble and pay anyway. I find out later the boy is the owner's son.
3. I believe I am going to leave a night early, so I pay for my accommodation and food etc, and there is not sales tax added to the bill, which is pretty normal unless is specified to the contrary in Nicaragua.
4. I stay an extra night, and go to pay again, but there is a further 10% added to my bill. I question this and am told it is sales tax. I question this because sales tax is in fact 15% so it must be something else, and it is not specified that sales tax is not included on the food menu. The owner gets VERY angry with me, starts banging very hard the table I am sittting at and calling me a "Chica Male". I am pretty freaked out and RUN our of the hostel.

If you want to be ripped off and threatened then do not stay here. When you are single female travelling, it is not very nice being physically threatened by a big Nacaraguan man because you (politely) ask why he is ripping you off.

I heard things from other travellers about this hostel too. Anther girl was charged for 10 hours of internet although she was on there for about 2 hours, but paid not to cause trouble.

Date of stay: May 2010
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Globetrotter29perth
Reviewed 9 February 2011

We stayed over one week at this nice and friendly place. There are different room types for different budgets and in some is even warm water available. The restaurant is clean and the food well prepared, we recommand especially the fish dishes. We took a tour around the volcano with a pick-up which is real worth to take. Prices are correct and it was a good value to stay there. They offer trips to the volcano lagoon which is an unforgetable adventure, trips to the waterfall in the next community can be taken by horse or by walking with a guide at low prices. There is also a beach only a few meters down the hostel which is great for bathing. Monkey's Island Hostal is very recommandable place.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank sonja_schilling
Reviewed 6 January 2011

VERY GREEDY EMPLOYEES we stayed because of the great posts on all other sites....Watch what they charge you. we were overcharged and feel like they were trying to ¨steal¨money at every chance, esspecialy the teenagers. it was happening to other guests as well. First the man forgot our reservation and put someone else in our room, he offered us a nicer room, after agreeing to the room, we confirmed the price at 10usd the same that we had reserved for and he said no it was 15 and he would not honor the reservation. it is pretty isolated here and arriving after dark, we are not going somewhere else...and he knows this. so we take the more expensive room for 1 night, we move the next day, they asked us to change the sheets! we said no. This room thing happened to another couple who reserved on hostal world and when checking out were told they owed 10 usd more for 2 nights in the 15 usd room when they reserved for 10usd. they said the room was nicer it was THEIR job to check the price not the hotels responsibility to tell them the room costs more. there was arguing and they left. so it seems as if it is a scam, he puts you in the nicer room thinking people will not make a fuss over 5 or 10usd. then in the restraunt which was GOOD FOOD and GOOD PRICES. you can eat well for 2usd. they told us our bill was 45. i asked to see the bill and added it and with tax it was 42usd not 45, then the boy said he did not have change, then when we said for him that we want our change he walked as slowly as possible when he knew our bus was coming. then when he returned he told us he did not have all the change, which was a lie and his father-boss who ever told him to give us the rest of our money. SO IF YOU DONT NEED TO WATCH YOUR MONEY and want to be taken advantage of stay here. they are not friendly or helpful, except for the 1 boy with good english, i had no problems with him. also another group were told they were paying 15 for a volcano trip and after were asked to pay 30, it was just too much for it not to be a SCAM

Date of stay: January 2011