“After the movies”

Dining options: Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“After the movies”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

After a delightful movie at Roseville cinema I went with a couple of friends to saveur. Our reception was very friendly and our table lovely if a little close to the fire. I had a bowl of chowder crammed with yummy seafood. The bread was fresh and tasty. My friends devoured duck and lamb shank with great pleasure. We had a wonderful time. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Thoroughly delightful and can't wait to repeat the experience!

1 Thank Margot B

“will not go back”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

we used the voucher for the degustation menu. the service and the atmosphere was excellent but the food was appalling. the john dory (as they claimed)was overcooked, not fresh ,even had a strong fishy smell. You only get that smell if the fish is not fresh. Most disappointing.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank thepassionatecook
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went to Saveur for dinner last week with another couple to have the degustation menu using the vouchers. I had read a couple of negative reviews before we went so we weren't sure what to expect. From the time we arrived we had excellent service for the whole evening. Every course was well prepared and delicious and we found the servings to be very generous. The time between courses was just right and we all enjoyed a relaxed evening.
As we live locally we will go back and recommend Saveur to our friends.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank JenandMikeSydney
“Adieu Saveur”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I go to a restaurant because of the experience, which may be different for each person. The following is my experience:

Two of us had the degustation menu for lunch with a voucher. There was only a group of three people there before us, we were the second group and there was another lot of two diners after us. So it was fairly quiet for a Friday.
We wer greeted by a gentleman with a French accent, which added a nice touch to a French restaurant. Service was friendly though a tad rush and inattentive. There were only seven customers including us the whole time we were at the restaurant so I am not sure what the rush was all about. I had a feeling that they were only interested in bringing the courses to the table to get over done with and perhaps the voucher had something to do with it!
We were given a wine list and I asked for a glass of 1997 Waverley Estate Semillon but that gentleman warned us that it might not be everyone cup of tea and offered us a sample glass to try before we proceeded with our order and he was right. I then selected a bottle of 2008 Clairult Chardonay WA as I like a bit of ageing in the bottle and it is allegedly the best Chardonay on their wine list. However when the gentleman came back with the bottle of wine I could see 2011 on the label rather than 2008 that I had ordered and as I was querying about the vintage difference, he cracked the bottle open and proceeded to pour the wine as he claimed that this was all what they got. I would have gone for other choices if it had not been for the fact that I thought we were going to have the 2008 bottle. How unprofessional was that! Any sommelier in any upmarket restaurant offering degustation menu must know that the customer who ordered the bottle should be presented the bottle of wine announcing the vintage, name and varietal of the wine to the customer before opening it to avoid incidence of mistake. This gentleman told us that Saveur has been in business for 25 years so he should have known it better.
The food came out fairly promptly. The Amuse Bouche was creamy and light. The Zuchini flower was crisp and the cheese filling melt in the mouth. The pate was tasty. Everything was fine until we were served the yellow fin tuna. The tuna was way too over cooked to the point that it became too chewy like cardboard boxes and the dish needed more sauce. We left over half the portion of the tuna on our plates but we were never for once asked how our meal was, probably for the obvious reason that they must have known the tuna was not up to scratch. The beef was ok but nothing to rave about, the sauce was a bit salty and the polenta was a tad dry and tasteless though. When it came to have desert we were given the menu to select between the chocolate and the hazelnut so we chose one of each naturally. These dishes were a substitute for what should have been on the original menu: poached pear! The deserts came out and they certainly lacked flavour, lustre and wow factor though I preferred the chocolate mouse as it was better than the hazel nut as the meringue was a bit dry instead of moist. Having sampled the degustation menu it doesn't appear that there was much love with the food in the kitchen unless we were served mediocre food because we were there with a voucher. I am gobsmacked as to why Saveur chose to offer their menu at a discounted price with prepaid vouchers and made it so bad that people like us would not be coming back and it seemed that the only way to get people like us in their doors was to sell vouchers to dummy like us! Normally you tend to get what you paid for, but for $99 voucher plus $75 for drinks we could have enjoyed a decent meal somewhere else without feeling like second rated customers being served with second rated food! In the end it did leave a bad taste in our mouths not only for the food, the experience and the waste of time but also for the fact that we prepaid for something this bad!

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank CelineAdams
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We booked Saveur for dinner for our wedding anniversary. We had been there a couple of times in the past 2 years. However when we arrived they had not recorded our booking and after some discussions told us they were full and sorry but they couldn't accommodate us. We felt very annoyed. It was their mistake and yet they did nothing to appease/help or accommodate us except send us away with a "sorry". We understand that these things happen but in a service industry when mistakes are made it is important to make some sort of atonement. Saveur made us feel unwanted and very upset. We won't be returning.

• Visited May 2014