“Can you sleep in your car?”

BreakFree Bell City
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Melbourne, Australia
“Can you sleep in your car?”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First the positive, the staff at check in were nice.

Now the negatives: room was dirty, carpet was filthy, mould throughout bathroom, bedside lamp was broken, two wall heaters covered in mould and dust that didnt work, when asked at reception about heating we were told the only heating in the room was centralised despite having no vents in the room it was freezing. Broken chair in living room, couch was ripped. Bags of dirty stinking rubbish left outside the room, filthy walls and door. And the worst part the bed, it felt like someone had let an air mattress go down. Check out staff were rude.

Wouldnt let my dog stay here, disgusting dump.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chriso328
MgrBellCity, Manager at BreakFree Bell City, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Hello chriso328,
Thanks for taking the time to write your review.
We were thoroughly disheartened to read about your experience and would like the opportunity to discuss this with your further. We have messaged you our details and hope to have the chance to work this out.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a terrible place to stay!
I have stayed here for several days over the xmas holiday with family during a trip to Melbourne. My jewellery box was stolen some time on the new year's day, when I was not in my room. It contend several pieces of jewellery which worth more than that holiday and a ring from my mum. The worst part was: the hotel concierge was an absolutely a joke and asked me that was my jewellery insured! Unbelievable!
The room was tiny, noisy without standard set up, worse than a motel.
Do not fooled by the description on their website and Photoshoped pictures.
Stay anywhere else would be better than here.

Room Tip: Choose anywhere else.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lighthouse321
Hi there lighthouse321,
Thank you for your review, however we were saddened to read about your experience and would like a chance to discuss this with you further. I have messaged you privately and hope to have a chance to talk to you.

Travellers are raving about these Preston hotels

Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed at Sleep&Go to attend a conference at Rydges was disappointed with the
room. Power outage,bad smell in the bathroom, noisy. Furnishings have been well used and needs updating. I understand that this cheap accommodation but would
advise traverllers to stay at Rydges or upgrade your room. Didnt feel safe, no lock
internally. Staff pleasant.

Room Tip: Upgrade or pay extra and stay at Rydges, go for a suite instead of a room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LynneT56
Hello LynneT56,
We were disappointed to hear that your Sleep&Go accommodation was not what you expected. We do have a range of accommodation styles here at Bell City to suit all budgets and needs, perhaps when you are due to return you could contact our reservations team directly and we will work through what the best options are for your needs.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you back in the future.
Poltava, Ukraine
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Good the ratio quality accommodation, food, quality of service, the convenience of location. Good luck to those who will use this hotel.The tram stop is 200 meters from the hotel. More than 25 programm of TV, WiFi

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Sergii K
Hi Sergii K,
Thanks for the great review, we hope to see you again soon!
Kariong, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have only joined this site to add this review as the nights that I stayed here were the worst that I have stayed in any hotel. I stayed last year on two occasions. I know I should have learned my lesson with some warning bells to start with. I had come interstate for a monthly course nearby and needed a bed for a good nights sleep and to feel safe and secure. My first stay I was initially happy with the room, corner location quite, but soon realised the room was a furnace and the temp could not be adjusted. I waited for the air con to be looked at then when not able to be fixed moved rooms. The sound of the neighbours that night was audible and loud and could hear what was being said but fortunately the people next door must have gone to sleep early. There was a banging, maybe the lift nearby but managed some sleep.
I then choose to take the chance again to stay there thinking I had had an unfortunate unlucky instance with the air con and the noise and having to move rooms. Well I should have heard the warning bells. My first night I go there latish and exhausted so got settled for some sleep, could here neighbours but managed to get some intermittent sleep, there was loud announcements at times from memory about fire alarms or something that were over a loud loud speaker, making one feel somewhat uneasy. The second night back from my course and soon into being in my room next door there was a loud party taking shape with no less than 10 young voices swearing and laughing and yelling. As it progressed over the hours it built in intensity and with the paper thin walls and being able to hear every word so clearly I could not safely use the phone to ring reception for assistance. In my frustration at approx 11pm I pack up my bags and swiftly went downstairs to voice my disgruntlement and ask for another room to attempt some sleep.
I was given another room on another floor. I hastily went to bed to get some sleep and within a few minutes approx midnight neighbours entered the room next door and began a conversation that I then heard for the next hours until the morning. I was so frustrated and exhausted. I moved the bed into the middle of the room but could hear the conversations and arguments so clearly it was like they were talking directly to me. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I got up at 6 with having no sleep showered and packed up, went downstairs to voice my disgruntlement and frustrations. No apology at all. I asked for a refund on my next night. which was given. THE WORST. DO NOT STAY IF YOU WANT TO GET ANY SLEEP. THERE IS NO INSULATION BETWEEN THE ROOMS AT ALL. BAD BAD BAD.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Silversage14
Hello Silversage14,
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough review.
We would like the chance to discuss this with you personally and have messaged you privately. We hope that we can work this out with you and look forward to having the chance to welcome you back in the future.
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Average place to stay, rooms were fairly worn but clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom had poor lighting so that made it hard to shave. Worst part was thin walls so could hear the TV next door and people in the corridor. I'll a different place next time.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank fattima
Hi there fattima,
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.
We are sorry that you didn't have a great stay, please contact us directly if you would like to further discuss any parts of your visit.
Warboys, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for two weeks whilst visiting family who live locally. the rooms were clean and ok as long as you didn't get the ones with toilet etc behind a shower curtain (one false move on the toilet and the shower soaked you!!!!). my in laws got one of these rooms and requested to be moved. the twin rooms def seemed the best. I agree about the PA system......in our first week it didn't happen at all...we then had a week in sydney and came back to the sleep and go and the PA system alerted us at least once every day!! there do seem some shady characters as it appears the hotel is used by several agencies to put people in need up whilst looking for more permanent accommodation. the bar downstairs serves a great reasonably priced breakfast and one evening we had a meal that was very good.
the hotel was convenient for what we needed and adequate for those needs.....would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CambridgeMinnie
Hi CambridgeMinnie,
Thanks for sharing with us your review, I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. Please also accept my apologies for the PA system interruption, as you can imagine with so many guests on our property we must take fire alarms very seriously and as such we have a thorough system in place.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Mantra Bell City
Bell Motel
#1 of 3 in Preston
St. Georges Motor Inn
#1 of 1 in Thornbury

Been to BreakFree Bell City? Share your experiences!