Our recent visit to Rydges Bell City was our second stay as family live nearby and the location is ideal for our purposes. The room rate was very reasonable for Melbourne, in part due to discounts for being a Rydges Priority member and for staying a minimum of 3 nights.
The hotel has been converted from a hospital building and there are some issues with the layout of the rooms, in particular the bathroom which is very small and poorly designed. However, the rest of the Manhattan Studio Room is spacious, the kitchenette adequate and the views magnificent. We have eaten several times in Chill Restaurant and found the staff friendly and the food good and reasonably priced. JDs Diner is less impressive with noisy televisions and ordinary food.
On our first visit to Bell City our sleep was disturbed by traffic noises from Bell St so this time we asked for a room away from the traffic noise which was much quieter. Unfortunately, our sleep was again disturbed, this time by the testing of the loud speaker system at 9am on Friday morning (no mention of this when we checked in) and by inconsiderate guests who had a party on Saturday night of the floor above us. Despite a call to reception the noise continued and only stopped after I personally approached the night staff in my pjs. The hotel offers long stay apartments as well as short-term accommodation and it would seem that some guests view the hotel as a home from home.
In addition to the noise problems, we had issues with the cleanliness of our room. The shower leaked and there was a musty smell in the room due to the damp carpet. There were also inconsistencies in the standards of servicing. Some days our room was spotless but on one occasion it was only partly serviced, the bed unmade and the floor dirty.
Bell City is a huge hotel complex (800+) beds and there seems to be a lack of consistency in service and maintenance which should be addressed if it is to be worthy of its 4 star rating. We will return as it is so convenient and hope some of these issues are addressed for our future visits.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra Bell City is located in Preston, just 20 minutes from the Melbourne CBD and airport, and within ten minutes of the Austin Hospital. It is close to both train and tram lines making it highly accessible to many of Melbourne's main attractions. Mantra Bell City offers guests stylish, well-appointed, fully furnished One and Two Bedroom Studios and Executive Suites with a kitchenette or full kitchen, business desk, wireless internet access, air-conditioning, in-room safe and LCD TV. Cot and high chair hire is available in all rooms on request and the One Bedroom Manhattan is wheelchair accessible. The onsite facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, extensive gym with sauna, business centre, dry cleaning and laundry services as well as 24 hour room service, two restaurants and bars and a handy cafe with convenience store. Mantra Bell City offer convenient access to both the CBD and Melbourne Airport, with both located an easy 9km from the hotel. Only a short drive away is the Mercy and Austin Hospitals, Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE (NMIT) La Trobe and RMIT Universities and the Darebin International Sports Centre. Mantra Bell City is surrounded by some of the inner north's best cafes and restaurants and is just a short 2 minute walk from the route 86 tram line. The tram runs from Bundoora to Docklands, through famous Fitzroy and Bourke Street in the CBD (including the iconic Bourke Street Mall). An easy 8 minute walk from Mantra Bell City is Bell train station, on the South Morang line and running daily between South Morang and the CBD. Getting the train to the AFL is a breeze as both Etihad Stadium and the MCG are easily accessible from Southern Cross and Jolimont stations respectively, located on the South Morang line. Please note: Mantra Bell City charges a cash bond of $400. Government issued photo ID is required at the time of check in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mantra Bell City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Bell City Hotel And Residences
- Bell City Hotel Residences
- Bell City Preston
- Mantra Bell City Preston, Greater Melbourne, Australia