“Wonderful units and good value”
Review of Mantra Bell City

Mantra Bell City
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We managed to get a special 3 day package through the Entertainment book with much cheaper rates then those of th hotel on line. The only trouble was that there was a messup with the booking and it wasn't in their system. Nevertheless thehelpful staff found us a unit, and it was great.
They are large, very modern and include an adequate kitchenette. The bed was excellent. Parking was free and there is atram to the city about 3 minutes walk away. A large shopping mallis about 5 minutes rive away, so this is a good location to stay at.

A few minor niggles were that we would have expected a 4 star Rydges hotel to include for a complimentary newspaper and daily replenishment of tea/coffe sachets. This didn't happen.

One hint...get a Rydges free card in advance as this gives you a free welcome drink each and a late checkut if you want it.

We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi CliveP-T,
Thanks for the great review, so glad to read that the front office team were able to sort out the hiccup with your booking and you went on to have a wonderful stay.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked my stay through Lastminute.com.au on 3 Feb 2014 and indicated bedding and guest special requests having read Trip Advisor's reviewers' good room tips. We checked in (1 March) at 6pm and were given a room that didn't take them into account (other than incidentally having an opening window). When I asked could something be done, the Receptionist said they hadn't been provided the room request details by Lastminute.com.au, there were no other rooms available to us, they were fully booked and only 8 rooms left. I felt the Receptionist was really unsympathetic. After I insisted, the Receptionist did go off for about 10 minutes and returned with a slightly better room as an option. When the Receptionist showed us the rooms, the first option (4th floor south side) stank, but the other 5th floor west side (the Receptionist told us it was north but the setting sun was streaming into the room) was ok and it also had an opening window, over the staff car park, which did get occasionally very noisy during the night.
The bed was too soft for our comfort but the room seemed clean and in good enough repair. The hotel was busy, and I just didn't feel like we were welcome guests. I would look at other options before staying there again. We didn't choose this hotel for price but because it was local to our activities that day/night.

Room Tip: Room on north side over staff car park was a little noisy. Artwork near lifts on L5 is awful. The ro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello EllaDee011,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review.
I was really disappointed to read that you didn't feel welcome during your stay and I can assure you that we endeavour to always deliver friendly and helpful service to our guests.
Please accept my apologies that your booking and arrivals process was not as streamlined as we would have liked. I have messaged you my details and should you have an opportunity to return, please contact me directly so I can ensure your requests are met.
I hope to have a chance to welcome you back for another visit with us.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The location is not that great. It's not near anything special as far as I can see. If you don't have a car , it's not convenient. The train is long walk along busy road. The lobby is untidy, the room is very small and cramped with place to put luggage properly. Had to place it next to the sofa. The toilet is the smallest toilet I have seen in any hotel. The hand basin is 20 cm wide. Breakfast time , I found there was no bowls for cereal in the supposed kitchen. House keeping does not have any bowls, the only have large bowls big enough for serving salad for six people. I went down to reception asking them where are there no breakfast bowls. They had no answer and no solution. They told me I could ask the hotel cafe at the lobby. The girl at the cafe was gossiping with one of the customers about her relationship . After five minute chat she looked at me .... I was disturbing her. I asked for the breakfast bowl. She said NO. Not sorry, just NO she doesn't have enough for her customers. So she asked me to walk over to the hotel restaurant . At the restaurant , they Declined but then quickly realised how ridiculous it was that there was no bowls in the room or at housekeeping. They happily assisted. I then left a message at reception for the manager so that they fix it for future customers. I didn't hear from the manager . At night coming back to the room, there was a cockroach on the blinds. The first cockroach I have ever seen. The next day the room was cleaned. The housekeeping is very good. Most of the staff are very good in the hotel. I feel the problem is the management of the hotel is not effective. There are not enough staff and the staff who are there are not getting the support
I have read the replies from the management to the other reviews. I feel they are not serious. It's just PR reply.
I will never stay he again.

Room Tip: The hotel has several wings. Make sure they put you in the middle of the wing. Otherwise it's a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bravo A
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Bravo A

Thank you for frank and honest assessment of Rydges Bell City. As a representative of hotel senior management I would like to reassure readers of Trip Advisor that our focus has always and will continue to be ensuring complete guest satisfaction. All feedback is reviewed and used in our continuous improvement processes.

Your review has validated many of the areas previously commented on in this forum and the improvement that has occured, for example consistency of housekeeping services and attentativeness of our staff.

While I respect your decision to not choose Bell City in the future please be assured your feedback will be used to assist us in achieving our goal of meeting the expectations of our guests' at all times.

Kind Regards

Tim Glass
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Found that the rooms had a very modern feel to them. Bathrooms in the Studio Apartments can be very small and tight-spaced. Very different room configurations - depending on the floor and wing your room is at.
Most of the staff were attentive and friendly. Nathan (who works as the concierge/chauffeur) was very helpful during our stay.
The Chill Restaurant and Bar serves pretty good food - unfortunately there is not much else around (nearby anyway) in terms of food.
This place is especially ideal for longer stays, especially since there is ample parking available and also storage cages in the basement.

Room Tip: Higher floors are best, as the traffic noise can be quite an issue on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Hi S28,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, we appreciate the feedback. Next time you stay, have a chat to our guest services team, there are some fantastic hidden gems within walking distance for dining out, including Little Henri, The Moores Head and Fu Manchu. We’ve passed on your lovely feedback to Nathan, we agree, he’s always helpful and a great guy to have around. Looking forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The majority of staff are very friendly and courteous. They are happy to cater to special requests for you, and try their best to help you if you need it. When calling reception you sometimes have to wait 2-3 minutes as they do often seem very busy down there.

We stayed in the Rydges Residence 28 day+ Superior room which was nice. It is very spacious, has a very limited kitchenette (no oven). It is worth noting the bathroom is compact but is as big as it needs to be. There is lots of space for toiletry bags, either under the sink or behind the mirror. The shower is nice and strong for those who like their showers that way. The air con is great and unlimited.

There is a small shop for snacks on the ground floor which is expensive and has limited opening hours but convenient none the less. You can also get sandwiches/muffins/rolls etc. There is a restaurant in the hotel which I didn't try.

The gym is well equipped compared to other hotel gyms I have seen. As another reviewer mentioned, the rooms are clean but lack detail cleanliness. Our room was very tidy, neat and on the surface clean upon arrival but there is some dust around the room, again nothing major - I am a clean freak and it hasn't particularly bothered me. I'd rather dust than grime and bugs of which there are none FYI.

Would stay here again. Of note, the area is considered rough by people from Melbourne, and I can believe it. The area looks tired, vandalised with lots of graffiti etc. however it does not feel unsafe walking from the hotel to the train station (a 5 min walk). The train takes 25 mins to Melb CBD and runs every 20 mins. There is a Coles supermarket open 6am-Midnight just a 5 minute tram journey down the road at Northcote.

Room Tip: I found my room to be much bigger than the show room I looked at the week previous, as well as havin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nscu
MgrBellCity, Marketing Coordinator at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Hi nick_scio,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback and tips to share with future travelers. The area is rapidly developing as an up and coming suburb in the inner north, with lots of great shops and cafes opening nearby which are worth checking out next time you are in the area. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed at Bell City Hotel many times always in a studio on the top floor . It is well appointed, modern with a great vibe and good view through floor length glass windows. Staff pleasant , easy checkin. It is conveniently situated near the tram to Melbourne (about 8k). Good facilities such as coffee shop on ground floor and Rydges bar & restaurant. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor studio
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi henriettaSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we’re pleased to hear that you always enjoy your stay here. The views from the top floor are the best, good tip for fellow travelers! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I decided to stay at Rydges Bell City due to a convenient location for a funeral and a good internet deal through expedia. I found reading the reviews were helpful to iron out the quirks. This hotel passes my 'would I stay here again' test.
I needed an early check in to freshen up prior to attending a funeral. I made this request on the internet and phoned the night before and this was arranged with no issues. Upon arrival I found it hard to find reception and where to park whilst booking in. Finally parking in a side street some distance from reception. I checked in with a polite lady who asked why I was in town, when I said I was there for a good friends funeral, she replied along the lines "that's good you will have an excellent time then" I think the look of shock on my face might have indicated that she got it a bit wrong and when she realised her error was apologetic. I also had free parking and breakfast on my deal which seemed to be a mystery to the lady, but sorted it with little fuss. Check in should be seemless. I carted all my bags/suits etc up to my room on the fifth floor and my card didn't work in the door. Time was ticking and I had a role in the funeral, I didn't have time to waste. I asked one of the house keeping guests to help me into the room as my card didn't work. She replied to me to ring reception, well hello if I could get into the room to ring, I didn't need reception. When this logistical impossibility was pointed out, she rang reception from the room she was cleaning next door. Reception told her to tell me to go back downstairs to sort it out. Management if you are reading this feel my frustration that I had to cart all my stuff back to reception and then back to my room. Finally I got into my room. My first impressions were good, it had a really nice feel, I like the window seats a lot. I was hoping for a quick freshen up shower, I had been on the road since 5am and it was 39oC, but with all the time wasting there wasn't time. After the days events I arrived back at the hotel and went to Chill for a quick burger and a glass of wine. The burger consisted of cheap bun, meat, lettuce, tomato and caramalised onion, I reckon that a slice of cheese, beetroot something would have made it a lot more interesting. The cost of this could be alleviated by reducing the big serve of fries. It was late in the evening, a mix of patrons, from steroid abusers to business women. I had a good night sleep the bed was comfy etc. I wasn't sure where the buffet breakfast was held, not even in the hotel info. I found it at Chill. Upon arrival the lady said to me "room number" and that's all. Not even "have you been here before" or "there is the food/coffee". Talk about coffee, it was next to cold in the thermos dispensers. The food was lovely and as good as I have had elsewhere. I had a paper on my table and an empty bowl, two cups, plate. I lost count of the amount of times that the waitress walked past my table with empty hands whilst setting up the tables for the next service. There were only two people in at that time and I guess it doesn't matter if the empty plates are taken immediately or not, but other hotels do and it is a nice touch. Now if you are still with me. The room I was in lacked a long term clean. Nothing has been moved in recent times to dust/clean etc. I bent down to plug in my phone charger and found someone elses dirty tissue behind the bed side table. Upon leaving level 3 of the underground car park I heard voices and smelt cigarette smoke. It appears that the staff have a little nook set up for smoking. Not a good look for the hotel, not to mention a fire risk 3 levels underground. I got a good deal on the net, I got what I paid for, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TraleeTraveller001

Hi Andrew_S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback. We apologise for the issues that you experienced, our guest services and CHILL staff will be addressed by their managers to alleviate the communication breakdown in the future. We also apologise for the level three car park issue, our staff have been addressed directly about this. We are glad that overall you had a pleasant stay, and hope that next time you are here you have an enjoyable stay.

Hotel Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
BreakFree Bell City
Central Business District
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
#65 of 162 in Melbourne

Been to Mantra Bell City? Share your experiences!