“Wonderful Evening”
Review of Mantra Bell City

Mantra Bell City
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Due to a cancelled flight, I had an unexpected stay at the Hotel. I had a lovely evening; room was above average with everything I needed. Room service at 2am followed by a large breakfast later in the morning after a prompt wake up call from Reception. Staff were courteous and helpful. Room overlooked a courtyard where I had easy access and enjoyed my morning coffee on the 4th floor. Plenty of access via numerous elevators. I have visited over 30 countries and wouldn't visit most hotels again. I'd stay at Rydges Bell City again in a heartbeat. Shame I only had 12 hours there. Only one suggestion I would give - Free WiFi would have been handy but doesn't change my review.

Room Tip: Level 4, South Side Room, preferably outside the court yard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ManagerBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi Tamara K,
Thanks for taking the time to share your review, I am so glad we could accommodate you on what must have been a stressful evening after a cancelled flight!
You will be glad to know that when staying at Rydges Bell City our PriorityGUEST Rewards members receive free wifi, membership is free and you earn points towards free stays, so it's well worth joining.
We hope to welcome you back again, ideally in better circumstances!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I travelled with our baby to Melbourne. We wanted to stay out of the city, and the hotel was good in that sense. The hotel room (one bed Manhattan) was satisfactory, clean and roomy. The bathroom was very small and there were a few damaged elements, such as the door handle. It was good to have a kitchenette, although room service did not restock some supplies on the following day. The price was good for our stay. We were not asked anything about our baby when checking in, such as did we have a cot etc. We had our own, but I would have thought the hotel would ask. The front desk staff were not very friendly - they were polite, but for the hotel's star rating I would have expected a higher level of service. The car park cost $7 a day, but you can only exit and come back once in a day without further cost. There was not much alternative for parking, and it beats the city parking fees. It is evident that this hotel is aimed at conference facilities. As we were visiting friends in the area, we did not use any of the hotel's other facilities, such as pool and gym, nor use any of their restaurants or cafes on the site. There were a few good cafes nearby that we found within 5 mins walking distance on Plenty Road.

Hello Aussie_Wanderer_1,
Thank you for sharing with us your detailed review.
I have passed your feedback about the door handle onto our maintenance team and I would also like to apologise that you didn't feel the front office team were friendly on this occasion. We strive to deliver friendly and enthusiastic service and it's unfortunate on this occasion we didn't deliver.
Please do send us a personal message if you wished to discuss your feedback any further.
We hope to welcome you back again and so that you can enjoy our extensive facilities.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My partner and I stayed here recently for a weekend and if the truth be told we had rather low expectations of what we would be in store for us however I am happy to report that we had a wonderful stay!
We were allocated a room on the 5th floor that had AMAZING views back over to the city and the western part on Melbourne, the floor to ceiling windows added a depth and drama to the room I hadn’t anticipated. Our room was clean, well laid out, with fabulous amenities, a great iron and a good quality hair dryer….sure the bathrooms are a bit on the small side but really how much time do you really spend in the bathroom , more importantly to me personally was the super comfortable bed with the good quality linen. We ate at CHILL the night we checked in as it was late and we didn’t want to venture out looking for food and both the quality of the meals ewe had and the service we experienced were great. The hotel itself is in a great position just an 8 minute walk to the Bell train station which takes you directly into the city or a 3 minute walk to the corner of Bell and Plenty Road to the tram stop, not as fast as the train but a lot more quirky… We liked the hotel so much we’ve booked again to stay over the Queen’s Birthday Weekend, I think we have now successfully found our little home away from home when we need to escape and have a bit of down time..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello happychicky,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
There are certainly some spectacular views from the higher floors of the hotel, we are very lucky to be in such a great location. Make sure you check out the Preston Market when you next visit, if you haven't already done so - the gozleme van there is not to be missed!
I hope you enjoyed your long weekend getaway and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 months.
Nice place to stay .
Felt safe and location was good.
No issues and stay was comfortable.
Rooms were nice and kept tidy.
Lot of activities in the ground floor and felt lively.

Cons:

There billing system is confusing and you have to pay 1000 AUD + 4 weeks rent in advance.
Even if you are 1 day less in advance 4 week ernt they charge you 25 AUD fine :(.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Hi zazee14,
Thank you for your review. The deposit required for long stay and residence guests ensures that any incidentals or damage occurred is covered. We endeavour to outline all this clearly before you sign your agreement and apologise if this was misunderstood.
We are glad you enjoyed your time as a resident guest at Bell City and hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was booked for me. Security is everywhere. The foyer is noisy like a backpackers. The rooms are small. There was a chicken bone on the floor outside the room. Mirrors are broken at the lifts. Read the news stories and decide for yourself.

On the plus side there is a kitchen in the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidMcDonald

Hello DavidMcDonald,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we were really disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay.
We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and have messaged your the contact details for our front office manager.
We hope to have the chance to discuss this with you further.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed in April 2014, for a week, we chose the location as we have relatives that live in Preston.
It was only 50metres from the tram that took us straight into city. The CHILL restaurant and bar was a great addition, as it was layed back and we could come and eat, have a coffee whilst watching tv or having a chat. Our room was spacious with a small tv with foxtel, (broadband is extra) The shower was the best thing in the room but there was lots of ingrainted mould, not a good look. The bed unfortunately was for us the worst, we both like firm beds and this was as soft as marshmallow, I think this comes down to a personal preference. Mcdonalds is a 10 minute walk down the road and Red rooster is 5 minutes walk. There are other restaurants in High Street as well as a Woolworths only 10 minutes away.

Dear golfinchick,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.
We were so glad to read that you enjoyed CHILL Restaurant & Bar and your time with us.
I have shared with the relevant department heads your feedback about the shower and they will be sure to investigate.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Im late writing this review, stayed in august 2013. Package included breakfast. The room was spacious with a lovely view of the city but when we arrived at the room there was an air circulation device in the room in the floor next to the bed, I asked for it to be removed in case I was to accidentally trip over it. I later regretted this as the mold/mildew smell half way through the night was terrible, rydges need to address this issue as it really was hard to enjoy our wedding anniversary night stay with the mold/ mildew smell in the room. Breakfast was fine not as good selection and range as other rydges hotels we have stayed at.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hello khj835,
Thank you for sharing your review with us.
Since your stay in August 2013 extensive work has been carried out to address the issues you described, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back, perhaps for your next anniversary in August 2014?
Should you be returning to the hotel, please contact me directly so that I can ensure you are taken care of Joel Day, front office manager joel_day@bellcity.com.au

Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
BreakFree Bell City
Central Business District
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
#65 of 162 in Melbourne

Been to Mantra Bell City? Share your experiences!