“Everything you need.”
Review of Mantra Bell City

Mantra Bell City
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at this Hotel during the week for a work function.
The rooms are modern, clean with everything you need.
The bed is on the small side- I think just a double bed, but comfortable.
I had great views of night nights and the windows do open- which is good if you like fresh air!
The only downside was the bathroom- It is tiny! The shower only had a curtain, so the whole floor gets wet.
There was nowhere to put your toiletries.

The staff are friendly and helpful.
Nice Breakfast in Chill restaurant.

Room Tip: Book in the new part of the Hotel- not the stay and go part.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Carms2

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Bell City. It is great to hear you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Bell City

Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for connivence for a work meeting and doctors appointments. We were initially happy with our room until we had out first night there. In the morning the water in the shower was only luke warm which was very disappointing in the middle of winter. We went out for the day and left on our door the slip to please make up our room. Upon our return the room was made up but our bathroom basin had not been cleaned it had some sort of soap ?? Scum in the basin which was not there when we left. The complementary tea and milk had not been replenished.when we arrived there was meal trays lined up the hallways some of these sat there for 2 days and no one collected these dirty dishes. One morning we went down for breakfast and found teenage guests in the dining area in onesies (tigger). This is really very tacky I would have thought the hotel dining staff should have advised the guests this is not approached attire for dining. Whilst at breakfast myself and another guest had difficulty in getting hot water out of the urn it appeared empty, we spoke with the head staff member she was very blunt and said it was full we explained we pumped the urn as required and it spat out water which was a little dangerous she very rudely this is what the appliance does. I explained this was not appropriate it was dangerous for burns she just grunted, the milk jug was empty we had to go to the cereal station and use the milk from here. However we ate in the dining for tea and breakfast and had beautiful meals.
The overall hallways and lifts are all very tired and need a overhaul

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Leanne

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear it was not as enjoyable and comfortable as it could have been. Firstly let me apologise for the cleanliness issues you were presented with during your time with us. I have addressed these with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure the staff members are paying more attention to the finer details while servicing rooms. I will also be personally addressing our service standards with the breakfast staff to ensure such blunt responses are not received by any future guests. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the meals in Chill restaurant and will be sure the chef hears your praises. Again thank you for your honest feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to demonstrate a change in service when you next visit the area. I trust this finds you well.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked for sleep and Go $100.00 on arrival 5/7/14 was given an upgrade to Rydges Bell city Hotel. Stayed in 521N. The room was quiet and well appointed with kitchen appliances. The room was clean and in good condition. The mattress was in need of replacement due to very poor support [we rolled into the center of the bed. Nice but we were there to sleep]. Had a light breakfast at the cafe which was reasonably priced and met our needs.
Now the bad news on 9/7/14 I checked my back account details and noticed that I had been charged and additional $14.21
08/07/2014 06/07/2014 0000 RYDGES BELL CITY PRESTON $14.21-
I phoned the hotel and was advised it was probably for something from the mini bar, perhaps some chocolate, I responded that we didn't use the mini bar and make it a point of never doing so. The person I spoke to replied ok we will refund you the money. On 14/7/14 I again checked my account and discovered that the money had been refunded 21 cents short.
14/07/2014 09/07/2014 0000 RYDGES BELL CITY PRESTON $14.00+
I know the difference is a trifling amount but it is the principle that matters.
We appreciated the upgrade and felt that we would most likely stay there again at that price and would insist on any mini bar be taped up or removed. Final point there is a fee of $7.00 to park your vehicle which I believe is great value for the convenience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Peter
Thank you for your fantastic feedback from you recent stay. The one bed manhattan's are well appointed and do have all you need for a long or short stay. Thank you for bringing the mattress to my attention as this has now been scheduled for replacement. In regards to the incorrect mini bar charges, we are terribly sorry for the mix up and the hassle with the refund. I have today refunded the remaining 21 cents back to your card. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you soon. I trust this finds you well

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am in fact currently staying here, and have noted that the manager responds to more or less all of these reviews with some version of " let me assure you, your experience doesn't reflect our high standards". Unfortunately, the negative reviews posted precisely reflect the poor standards of Bell City, both at Rydges (at least the residential part of it) and it's sister building. I've been here for 4 months, and had 3 rooms, and in each case found the rooms to clearly be less than cleanly upon arrival. That is only the beginning, unfortunately. Due to the pre-furnished accomodation being convenient for a mid-term stay in Australia of 2-3 years, I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future, but would suspect that if the quality of the residential rooms is indicative of the hotel rooms, you can probably do better.

Rydges offers both residential and hotel accommodation. Since I arrived 4 months ago, I've had a couple of rooms, all of which were in various degrees of uncleanliness when I took residence. My recent upgrade put me in a room MUCH smaller than I had been shown as I agreed to a year's contract, and the kitchen was in fact overtly dirty, the oven and stove tops clearly greasy, and there were stains on the walls. This was in fact the case in TWO of the rooms I have been in since arriving. I was moved under the guise of being moved to a "better" room upon upgrading to Rydges, and found myself in a significantly smaller room, with less storage space than the room I'd come from, wrongly fit shower curtains, and this despite attempting MONTHS in advance to make it very clear WHEN I moved was exceptionally flexible, to ensure a decent room was available.

Perhaps not directly the fault of BellCity, but a testament to the environment and the types of individuals you may be staying with, and the establishment's tolerance for questionable standards, I had food stolen twice from a communal kitchen (prior to Rydges upgrade), and my bike stolen from in front of the reception... during the day... and filmed. That may be excusable, but what was definitely the failure of the Bell City way of life was their relative complacancy when it was proven that they had failed to deliver me my mail - the post office verified that Bell City had been notified of a parcel which had arrived for me. Notice of this never made it to me... had I not tracked the package down, it would have been returned to sender in the US...

What's good: Gym, pool, transportation to the city, the front desk reps are friendly.
Synopsis: If you need a convenient place to stay, this may be for you, but anticipate a disturbing level of incompetence.

Room Tip: Tried to organize this months in advance... if YOU have a good tip, give it to ME.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear nranukem,
Thank you for feedback from your current stay with us and we do apologise for the issues listed. It is my understanding that you met with our Residence Manager on Monday and expressed your concerns from your stay. I believe all was covered with her however if there is anything we may have missed, please feel free to contact me directly at joel_day@bellcity.com.au. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My room was large but oddly shaped and it wasn't until I got to bed after a very long business day that I realised that the room wrapped around the lift shaft - hence the odd shape. There was only the one lift working so it was inconstant use until about 1am and then again from before 5am. The air conditioning didn't work and would only blow cold air so the room was freezing cold. When I gave up on trying to sleep or stay warm I found there was no hot water, so I couldn't even have a shower. What was the reception staff's response to each of my complaints? Well, the room I'd been given was an 'upgrade' as the hotel was full so they couldn't move me and the maintenance men had told the receptionist that the water problem had been fixed so there wasn't anything else that she could do. No apology, no expression of regret, just annoyance that I was complaining. Terrible room, terrible facilities and terrible service. My advice? Go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room anywhere next to a lift shaft.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anne S
MgrBellCity, Front Office Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Good Afternoon Anne,

My name is Joel Day and I am the Front Office Manager of Bell City.

Your concerns from your recent stay have been brought to my attention by Terrye from Goldman Travel and I wanted to address them with you directly.
Firstly let me apologise for the issues you experienced and assure you this is not indicative of our usual level of service provided. On Wednesday the 25th we experienced an unannounced and unplanned disruption from Yarra Valley water which caused our water pressure and hot water system to fail in both towers. Unfortunately it was something we needed to be rectified from an external source. I have also noted the issues with noise and apologise we could not have moved you when you raised the issue in the early hours of the morning as we had been fully booked.
I am regretful to hear the response you received was not satisfactory and will be speaking with the staff members involved.

I can understand if this experience has tarnished your view of Bell City however I would welcome the opportunity to turn your view around. I have asked Terrye to contact me directly should you wish to book again to ensure you are well looked after. I trust this finds you well.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We've previously stayed here, just under 2 years ago, and it was good. This time we found our 2 bedroom Manhattan to be a little worn and weary.
We had a very late check in and the staff member was hardly friendly. The room faced the city and had a great view from the 6th floor. Unfortunately the there was numerous signs that the room was in need of repair. After notifying guest services a tradesman had a look and repaired what they could. We weren't overly happy with how the room was made up each day. A very quick effort was made it seemed.
We do find that the room does have enough in the small kitchen to feed the kids and not have to use room service. There are plenty of options close by if you need to venture out for a feed.
I agree with another reviewer that the Priority guest program offered by Rydges doesn't seem to be respected by the staff much.
We would stay here again but I hope that the ageing rooms are renovated sooner rather than later.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
MgrBellCity, Front Office Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hello Rubbaduck73,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay.
We are sorry to hear it was not as enjoyable as the previous time and we apologise for the wear of the rooms.
We have identified several areas we can improve the maintenance of our Manhattan rooms and are in the process of rolling out a refresh and soft refurbishments of the Rydges Tower.
We hope this will help lift the product as a whole.

In regards to Priority Guest Rewards, Rydges are in the process of also revamping the program which will involve a retraining program for Rydges staff members Australia wide.
We understand there has been a lapse in focus in recent months which we have placed a focus on.

Thank you again for your feedback as we do use these points to help improve not only your stay, but also all future guests of Bell City.

I trust this finds you well and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Certainly not my motel of choice. However, we stayed there as it was close to the North Git restaurant we had booked into. The room was very comfortable and quiet. Sadly the bath room was extraordinarily small and very poorly designed and dysfunctional. It certainly could do with some restoration.
Would we stay again? I think we would, however, I would do my research for another.

Room Tip: You need to ask yourself. Is the something better in the area?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hello Everymoment,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review.
I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, however I was disappointed to read that you found the bathroom too small.
When you are going to stay with us next, please contact the in house reservations team either by phone or email reservations@bellcity.com.au and we can talk through your requirements and make sure we allocate you a room you will love.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
BreakFree Bell City
Parkville
Art Series - The Larwill Studio
Bell Motel
#1 of 3 in Preston

Been to Mantra Bell City? Share your experiences!