“Good Location for the City not memorable”
Review of Mantra Bell City

Mantra Bell City
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Preston
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stay was short and the least memorable on the tour of Australia. Cant say it was poor or good, just that it didn't leave a lasting impression. Easy walk to restaurants, staff were not friendly but were practical.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hi Mark C
Thanks for the review from your stay back in September and I am sorry to hear it was not as memorable as it could have been. We do hope we have the chance to give you a much more enjoyable stay in the near future,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights while on business in the area. Had a great room, good bathroom kitchen desk etc, everything clean and working. Checkin was slow but ok, seem to have lots of choice for good, drinks etc, I can't comment on any as I took advantage of the kitchen. Not the cheapest option in the area, but generally very pleased.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Ikorel

Thank you for review of your recent stay. I am glad to here you found you stay both comfortable and convenient. When next in the area I do hope you have the opportunity to take advantage of either of our great restaurants. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Took the girlfriend here for our anniversary over the weekend, we didn't want to go all the way to the city for just one night. We were very happy with our room, we got a city facing Rydges studio on level 6 east wing. The room was clean modern and spacious, and had nice views of the city. We went to CHILL restaurant for dinner at the hotel, the food was amazing - will definitely be going back there. After dinner we went to the Stolberg pub which was only a 2 minute walk. The breakfast buffet was huge, lots to choose from. All in all, we had a great stay and didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Andrew

Thank you for the great feedback and congratulations on your anniversary. It is great to hear we were able to help make your day that little more special. I will be sure to pass on your fantastic comments to Chill Restaurant. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed at this Hotel during the week for a work function.
The rooms are modern, clean with everything you need.
The bed is on the small side- I think just a double bed, but comfortable.
I had great views of night nights and the windows do open- which is good if you like fresh air!
The only downside was the bathroom- It is tiny! The shower only had a curtain, so the whole floor gets wet.
There was nowhere to put your toiletries.

The staff are friendly and helpful.
Nice Breakfast in Chill restaurant.

Room Tip: Book in the new part of the Hotel- not the stay and go part.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Carms2

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at Bell City. It is great to hear you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for connivence for a work meeting and doctors appointments. We were initially happy with our room until we had out first night there. In the morning the water in the shower was only luke warm which was very disappointing in the middle of winter. We went out for the day and left on our door the slip to please make up our room. Upon our return the room was made up but our bathroom basin had not been cleaned it had some sort of soap ?? Scum in the basin which was not there when we left. The complementary tea and milk had not been replenished.when we arrived there was meal trays lined up the hallways some of these sat there for 2 days and no one collected these dirty dishes. One morning we went down for breakfast and found teenage guests in the dining area in onesies (tigger). This is really very tacky I would have thought the hotel dining staff should have advised the guests this is not approached attire for dining. Whilst at breakfast myself and another guest had difficulty in getting hot water out of the urn it appeared empty, we spoke with the head staff member she was very blunt and said it was full we explained we pumped the urn as required and it spat out water which was a little dangerous she very rudely this is what the appliance does. I explained this was not appropriate it was dangerous for burns she just grunted, the milk jug was empty we had to go to the cereal station and use the milk from here. However we ate in the dining for tea and breakfast and had beautiful meals.
The overall hallways and lifts are all very tired and need a overhaul

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Leanne

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am sorry to hear it was not as enjoyable and comfortable as it could have been. Firstly let me apologise for the cleanliness issues you were presented with during your time with us. I have addressed these with our Housekeeping Manager to ensure the staff members are paying more attention to the finer details while servicing rooms. I will also be personally addressing our service standards with the breakfast staff to ensure such blunt responses are not received by any future guests. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the meals in Chill restaurant and will be sure the chef hears your praises. Again thank you for your honest feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to demonstrate a change in service when you next visit the area. I trust this finds you well.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked for sleep and Go $100.00 on arrival 5/7/14 was given an upgrade to Rydges Bell city Hotel. Stayed in 521N. The room was quiet and well appointed with kitchen appliances. The room was clean and in good condition. The mattress was in need of replacement due to very poor support [we rolled into the center of the bed. Nice but we were there to sleep]. Had a light breakfast at the cafe which was reasonably priced and met our needs.
Now the bad news on 9/7/14 I checked my back account details and noticed that I had been charged and additional $14.21
08/07/2014 06/07/2014 0000 RYDGES BELL CITY PRESTON $14.21-
I phoned the hotel and was advised it was probably for something from the mini bar, perhaps some chocolate, I responded that we didn't use the mini bar and make it a point of never doing so. The person I spoke to replied ok we will refund you the money. On 14/7/14 I again checked my account and discovered that the money had been refunded 21 cents short.
14/07/2014 09/07/2014 0000 RYDGES BELL CITY PRESTON $14.00+
I know the difference is a trifling amount but it is the principle that matters.
We appreciated the upgrade and felt that we would most likely stay there again at that price and would insist on any mini bar be taped up or removed. Final point there is a fee of $7.00 to park your vehicle which I believe is great value for the convenience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Peter
Thank you for your fantastic feedback from you recent stay. The one bed manhattan's are well appointed and do have all you need for a long or short stay. Thank you for bringing the mattress to my attention as this has now been scheduled for replacement. In regards to the incorrect mini bar charges, we are terribly sorry for the mix up and the hassle with the refund. I have today refunded the remaining 21 cents back to your card. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you soon. I trust this finds you well

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am in fact currently staying here, and have noted that the manager responds to more or less all of these reviews with some version of " let me assure you, your experience doesn't reflect our high standards". Unfortunately, the negative reviews posted precisely reflect the poor standards of Bell City, both at Rydges (at least the residential part of it) and it's sister building. I've been here for 4 months, and had 3 rooms, and in each case found the rooms to clearly be less than cleanly upon arrival. That is only the beginning, unfortunately. Due to the pre-furnished accomodation being convenient for a mid-term stay in Australia of 2-3 years, I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future, but would suspect that if the quality of the residential rooms is indicative of the hotel rooms, you can probably do better.

Rydges offers both residential and hotel accommodation. Since I arrived 4 months ago, I've had a couple of rooms, all of which were in various degrees of uncleanliness when I took residence. My recent upgrade put me in a room MUCH smaller than I had been shown as I agreed to a year's contract, and the kitchen was in fact overtly dirty, the oven and stove tops clearly greasy, and there were stains on the walls. This was in fact the case in TWO of the rooms I have been in since arriving. I was moved under the guise of being moved to a "better" room upon upgrading to Rydges, and found myself in a significantly smaller room, with less storage space than the room I'd come from, wrongly fit shower curtains, and this despite attempting MONTHS in advance to make it very clear WHEN I moved was exceptionally flexible, to ensure a decent room was available.

Perhaps not directly the fault of BellCity, but a testament to the environment and the types of individuals you may be staying with, and the establishment's tolerance for questionable standards, I had food stolen twice from a communal kitchen (prior to Rydges upgrade), and my bike stolen from in front of the reception... during the day... and filmed. That may be excusable, but what was definitely the failure of the Bell City way of life was their relative complacancy when it was proven that they had failed to deliver me my mail - the post office verified that Bell City had been notified of a parcel which had arrived for me. Notice of this never made it to me... had I not tracked the package down, it would have been returned to sender in the US...

What's good: Gym, pool, transportation to the city, the front desk reps are friendly.
Synopsis: If you need a convenient place to stay, this may be for you, but anticipate a disturbing level of incompetence.

Room Tip: Tried to organize this months in advance... if YOU have a good tip, give it to ME.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
MgrBellCity, Manager at Mantra Bell City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear nranukem,
Thank you for feedback from your current stay with us and we do apologise for the issues listed. It is my understanding that you met with our Residence Manager on Monday and expressed your concerns from your stay. I believe all was covered with her however if there is anything we may have missed, please feel free to contact me directly at joel_day@bellcity.com.au. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Bell City

Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
BreakFree Bell City
Quest Ivanhoe
#1 of 1 in Ivanhoe
Parkville
Art Series - The Larwill Studio

Been to Mantra Bell City? Share your experiences!