Eynsham Hall Hotel
Feathers Hotel(Woodstock)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
1,473 results
All reviewsthe main housestately homebeautiful buildingflights of stairschanging roomswedding venuekippersbuffet styleblenheim palaceleisure facilitiestea and coffeelovely groundslovely weekendlovely roomfull englishfour poster bedthe gun room bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This beautiful property looks great from the outside, but go inside and you see that it is in need of real investment to realise its potential. The magnificent staircase leads up to average rooms. Real investment should also be made in training the staff, who are little more than enthusiastic kids. Their obvious lack of training became comical for a mixed group of us attending an evening meal as part of a business meeting at the Hall - leading us to assume that Basil Fawlty had moved on from Torquay and was now running Eynsham Hall.....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JMW27
Shaun B, General Manager at Eynsham Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Was there a fly in your soup.....? I am sorry about the staff, they're not from Barcelona. Actually I'm from Newbury but I hear Torquay is lovely at this time of year!

On a serious note, I am concerned to read of your feedback and if you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to look at the details further for you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for Saturday night as part of a weekend trip to Oxford and Blenheim Palace. Booking was easy on line and we were warmly welcomed by reception on arrival at 11am although understandably our rooms were not then available. We were encouraged to look around, informed about the various eating options and provided with menus. We later found it more convenient to dine out in Oxford but the Gunroom bar was a relaxing place for a nightcap on our eventual return to the hotel. Breakfast on Sunday was very good.
Our rooms were in the Lodge and although previous reports had been mixed stating that these rooms were very small, this may be due to the double bed being pushed against the wall on one side. We found that by moving the chair to the far side of the bed it enabled both of us to get in and out easily and still allowed a good space to move around the room.
Everything including the en-suite bathroom was clean and fresh and tea making facilities provided. Lighting was bright and cheerful, the bed was very comfortable and despite there being two wedding receptions taking place that day we were not disturbed by external noise.
Absolutely nothing to criticise and we would recommend this hotel particularly for the friendliness and helpfulness of every member of staff we had contact with. The decor in the main building is probably awaiting an update being a mix of styles at the moment but this should not put anyone off of giving this hotel a try. Really good value.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms may be smaller but they are fresh, clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny S
Shaun B, General Manager at Eynsham Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent stay at Eynsham Hall.

Your kind comments about the team have been passed on and we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we have the opportunity to look after you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is within a rebuilt traditional hall. Great public rooms, but guest rooms are squeezed in into rooms for obviously different purpose and are relatively tiny. The restaurant staff and the cuisine are very good, the others remind of civil servants of the more negative experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at Eynsham Hall. I am delighted with your positive feedback on the food and service and I have passed this on to the team.

Typically the feedback about our team is very positive, clearly your experience was not to this level and if you would like to contact me I would be happy to take some further details from you.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed in the classic room in the hall and had a brilliant few days. We barely felt the need to leave the hotel as the bar and restaurant are great. Also the afternoon tea was brilliant; so much so that my partner proposed afterwards. The staff are lovely and made our engagement even more special. As some have said the rooms aren't modern and up to date but I would be disappointed if they were in such a hostoric setting. We loved it so much that we will be getting married there too!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jess J
Shaun B, General Manager at Eynsham Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for your very kind comments about the team. I am in receipt of your guest questionnaire and I have responded to this and thank you also for your kind email to me.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at Eynsham Hall and I understand from Rachel she is making preparations for your wedding with us in January and I hope between now and then we will have the opoortunity to meet personally.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend went away for a weekend for our 2 year anniversary, and found this hotel on Late Rooms. As soon as we arrived we were amazed by the grounds. From the outside, the hotel is lovely and the inside was decorated nicely.

We got to our room which was a few minutes walk from reception, and it was disappointing as it was very very small. It was literally just a bed and a small bathroom, but we were only staying for one night. The shower was amazing - the head was massive and was really clean. The bed was also very comfortable, although a little small.

We booked a table for dinner at 8 oclock, and sat at the table. We were sat there for a little while before our drink order was taken, but they were served quickly.

We ordered our food about half 8, and we were waiting and waiting, offered more bread rolls only to be told at 9:30 that the new chef had messed up. We eventually got our starter at 9:45 and the rest of our food was served quickly after that. I had macarroni to start and my boyfriend had salmon, both were fresh but the salmon was a pureed style and was very weird!

We both had steak for main - I had 8oz and he had 12oz but the difference between the two seemed to be a chunk of fat which was disappointing. The chips were nice, and drinks were served quickly. We were offered a complimentry desert for our wait, which was the best part of the meal. and we eventually left the restaurant after 11pm.

We had breakfast in the morning, which was okay. The food had been sat in the trays for a while though, and the eggs had gone hard.

Overall, this hotel was okay. The food was nice enough and the grounds were beautiful.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the main building or closer as they are very small
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at Eynsham Hall. I am in receipt of your guest questionnaire and I have responded separately to your feedback.

Once again, apologies for the delay with the food service, it is certainly not to our normal standards. Typically food and beverage offering and the service receives a significant amount of positive feedback and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for your feedback.