“Quaint, fantastic little hotel - don't pass this one up!”
Review of Villa Sunni Daze

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tarcoles
Villa Sunni Daze
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Tarcoles
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Villa Sunni Daze while traveling through Costa Rica in January, 2014. Let me just say folks this place is a gem! Truly a diamond in the rough! I found my room to be very clean/immaculate and quite spacious. The air conditioner was nice and cold which was great, as it was very hot outside - most of the day. I was able to use my laptop during my stay so Wi-Fi was never an issue. After a day of adventuring, I found it very relaxing to sit back and chill in a nice cold swimming pool. I also enjoyed going up to the terrace on the roof-top. The view is spectacular. I saw the most amazing sunsets and occasional local soccer games. Oh, and I can't forget to mention the Scarlet Macaws that flew right over the hotel. Wow!

The hotel manager, Randy was fantastic; so friendly! He really took the time to explain all the local whereabouts and adventures that await you in Tarcoles. His maps are really great too. Randy truly goes the extra mile to make sure that his guests are accommodated.

You are within walking distance to a fantastic beach which seemed so private. I walked for miles and felt like the beach was mine. There is a little grocery store right across the street from the hotel and I found the staff to be very polite and most helpful. There are a few quaint little places to eat within walking distance from the hotel. The ceviche is authentic and very tasty! If you are visiting Tarcoles, I highly recommend that you stay at Villa Sunni Daze. I had a blast and I'm sure you will too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa R

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here while passing through Tarcoles. The town itself is somewhat 'rustic' but beautiful. Lots of bird watching to be done! Scarlet macaws nest in a tree you can see from the hotel.

The website is somewhat misleading, but I understand the owner is trying to get business. However, the hotel is quite literally in the shadow of two huge cell towers. Like, you can lean out and touch one. :-/

The statue of David with leopard print loincloth made us smile. :)
The owner was friendly but quite unhelpful to us. We asked the owner to help us contact the tour operators on the river, which he refused to do, saying "it wasn't his thing". There were only 3 guests at the hotel and such a small gesture of making a 5 minute phone call to help 2 women traveling alone would have been greatly appreciated. We ended up being rescued by a lovely English gentleman who was staying at the hotel while fishing, he helped us schedule our tour.

I loved the view from the top floor, which is an open deck sort of area. You can see the town and watch wildlife. The room itself was very simple but clean, large and open, with 2 beds, a TV, a nice bathroom, hot water, and small fridge. The AC worked about as well as you can hope. :) The room was satisfactory. But for this area of the world, for $80 a night, I expect better. Love Tarcoles, but would probably not stay here again unless prices were drastically lowered.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family stayed at Sunni Daze hotel our first and last nights in Costa Rica. I choose Sunni Daze because it was located in (Tarcoles) is a small fishing village with almost no obvious tourist activity and because I understood that the Scarlet macaws come to feed in the trees in the morning and evening. We were not disappointed. Tarcoles felt very authentic. We didnt see any other tourists or hear any languages other than Spanish. Our first morning we took a walk and found trees full of scarlet macaws. A few local kids looking up at the trees on the main road and led us to an area near a playground near the beach. They were everywhere. It was hard to pull ourselves away. They are easy to find. Just look and listen.

The hotel was clean and the rooms were air conditioned. The pool was refreshing. Randall is a wonderful host who goes above and beyond. On our last day there was some mixup with our transportation. Randall had nothing to do with the mixup, but he traveled in his own car with our guide to meet us at the beach near Jaco and bring our luggage back to the hotel so that we wouldn't need to keep it with us in the car.

I highly recommend Sunni Daze for anyone looking for a simple, clean hotel in a non touristy area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelwithautism
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We've spent the last days of our holidays in Costa Rica here and were very glad we did this! This hotel is very well located (right across a supermarket) and you have very good walking trails around Tarcoles. Randy is a very kind person who will kindly explain a map of those trails to follow. He can also book tours for you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cauwi
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed at Villa Sunni Daze for one night on the last leg of our Costa Rican adventure. It was great! The room was large, clean and air conditioned. The kids loved the pool and the TV (they'd been without for 8 days). It's only .5 KM from a really nice, empty beach. Randall was nice and very helpful before and during the stay. I wish we could have stayed longer. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jvanvorst
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at Sunni Daze 3 nights in November 2012. We were a bit disappointed because the pics on the Sunni Daze Website show in part surroundings in the village of Tarcoles and not the Villa Sunni Daze. The rooms are okay, but smell a bit musty, especially when you know the building is not very old. During the 3 days we stayed, our room was never cleaned. We never used the small pool although it seemed clean enough, but the surroundings of the Villa are not really what you expect to relax a bit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stefan D
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I've been to Tarcoles several times and staying at Sunni Daze has been a great experience for me each time.

Nice rooms, very clean and comfortable at a great price.

Plus you get great customer service along with a pseudo-tour guide with Randall who will point you in the right direction for trekking, surfing, beaches or all other activities during your stay.

Definitely recommend Villa Sunni Daze