Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
32tracy
Huddersfield, United Kingdom

A Relaxing Family Friendly Paradise Island

Review of Como Maalifushi
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Jan 2017
We stayed in COMO Maalifushi with our three year old in January 2017. It took two long haul flights (Manchester, Dubai, Male) ending with the 50 minute seaplane to get to the Island. The seaplane was not a great experience but I would do it again to get to Maalifushi. The Island is beautiful with stunning picture perfect sandy beaches. The resort website pictures have not been exaggerated.

The initial welcome was warm, professional, efficient and very welcoming. Having traveled so far we were slightly disappointment our Villa was not ready on arrival. We soon got over this whilst enjoying lunch and our Villa was ready by the time we finished. There are three ways of getting round the Island. You can walk, ride a bike or get a buggy. You can get from one end of the Island to the other in less than five minutes on a bike. The bikes are a nice touch.

Having a three year old meant we were not comfortable booking a water villa so opted for a Beach Villa. But, we discovered on arrival the resort can install child safety barriers on the Water Villas so we could have booked one. Regardless our Beach Villa was not disappointing. We had a private wooden gate leading to a small paved outside entrance area. Inside were two spacious, simple yet beautifully decorated rooms, a dressing room and large modern bathroom suit with separate toilet and large walk in shower. The bedroom and bathroom had floor to ceiling glass windows and doors. The bedroom overlooked the outdoor private pool and terraced area which had complete privacy due to the islands natural foliage. Outside we had a private pool, patio dining area, two sun loungers, a king size lounging area and private walkway to the beach. On the beach were two further private sun loungers. The Wifi connectivity throughout the resort was very good.

There are three restaurants on the Island and without hesitation our favourite was the the Japanese. I would recommend the miso soup, medium chefs sushi selection, nigiri, wagu beef, teriyaki chicken and tempura prawns. We ate at the Japanese restaurant every evening we went out. It was just too good not to. The restaurant is position on stilts above the sea with beautiful views. You have the option of sitting inside or outside. We choose to sit outside on the upper deck by the bar. Great position in our opinion. The breakfast selection was also very good ranging from freshly prepared meals, the usual fruit selection and patisseries. You must try the jam doughnuts. Again the view overlooking the pool and beach was stunning. We ate lunch at the pool restaurant and the hotel offers a very good lunch menu. I would recommend the oysters, wagu burger, chicken wrap and lobster roll. The only lunch menu option I would avoid is the squid. It was overdone and not great. In my humble opinion you know you are on to a good start when a resort has its own vegetable garden and doesn't ship everything in. As wonderful as all the food was (including room service) one of the two things that most impressed me was the hotels ability to accommodate all our food requests for our fussy three year old. The hotel also went as far as providing a freshly cooked packed lunch breakfast to take on our flight home for our daughter. They made anything and everything we asked for including food that was not on any of the menus. They also had one of the best baby food/weaning menus I have seen at a resort. The menu had a great selection of freshly cooked and puréed/mashed/crushed baby food. Nothing seemed too much to ask. Simply excellent.

With the exception of a couple of hick ups the service was very good. I should not have been surprised following their quick response to my query on Trip Advisor prior to booking. Maria, Boji, Arun, Hamdhoon, Inaz (room service), Huxxan (house keeping) and a number of other staff went out of their way to ensure we received the most professional and friendly service. The pool service was a little hit and miss however if V. Hatti was working then you knew you wouldn't need to wait or chase anyone down to order drinks. Some of the other pool staff could really take a leaf out of his book. Another small disappointment was the way bottled water was served by the pool. It was never served in an ice bucket. This meant drinking warm water which wasn't great. Maybe something the hotel could consider changing. But I am sure if we had asked they would have accommodated this.

The Spa is definitely worth a visit. The facilities are beautiful with the usual gym, sauna etc. facilities. My husband had a Thai massage and I had a deep tissue massage. It's one of the best deep tissue massages I have had. The therapists were both excellent. The therapy room was beautifully relaxing with beautiful views overlooking the water.

When choosing which resort to book, one of the most important factors was access to a good kids club. Maalifushi kids club came highly recommended by our agent and she wasn't wrong. This was our first experience of leaving our three year old in a kids club for a few hours. We were not disappointed. The kids club had a great selection of indoor toys, they also had an outdoor playground with a slide, swings, climbing frames and a mini football pitch. The staff were excellent and ran a weekly play activity schedule encompassing a wide range of fun and educational activities. Our daughter particularly enjoyed the sushi/pizza classes, children's yoga, treasure hunt, junior marine biology, kite making/flying amongst other things. She enjoyed it so much we had to tell her kids club was closed in the mornings otherwise we would not have seen her. For the first time she cried when she realised the holiday was over and we were going home. The resort allows you to leave children 4 years old and above without a parent/guardian/baby sitter. Children under 4 years old would require adult supervision however you can hire a baby sitter for $15 (US) an hour. We requested the same baby sister every afternoon and on the evenings we ate out. Vicky (kids club manager) was excellent and organised everything. Again, nothing was too much to ask. We would highly recommend Mayla as a baby sitter. She baby sat for us all week (in kids club and evenings). All the kids seemed to really like her and we thought she was wonderful with our daughter. In fact all the resort staff we came into contact with seemed extremely child friendly.

Finally an unfortunate incident occurred involving one member of staff. This could have ruined our entire stay had it not been for the way the Maalifushi management team handled it. They were efficient, considered and empathetic to our concerns which we really appreciated. They went out of their way and made every effort to resolve the issue quickly and to all our satisfaction. This resort and the entire team are completely focussed on ensuring your stay is wonderful and memorable.

This hotel is extremely value for money and I would recommend it to anyone (families, couples and honeymooners) looking to book a Maldivian holiday. It's a beautiful resort with staff that genuinely want to do all they can to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable.

Thank you to all at Maalifushi. We had a wonderful time.
Date of stay: January 2017
Room Tip: The Water Villas offer child safety barriers and have the best views
Trip type: Travelled with family
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
4.0 of 5 bubblesService
Pietro A, General Manager at Como Maalifushi, responded to this review
Responded 3 Feb 2017
Dear Tracy32,

Thank you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of COMO Maalifushi, it is hugely appreciated!

We are delighted to read that you received a warm welcome and enjoyed our spacious Beach Villas. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the food so much, especially Tai, our Japanese restaurant and I am especially happy to read that we catered to all your little one’s food requests.

Fantastic to hear that you felt our service was very good, if you feel that I could benefit about hearing what the hiccups were, please do email me on pietro.addis@comohotels.com.

Thank you for the constructive comments on the pool service, we are looking into this.

Thank you for your great feedback on the Spa and Play by COMO, I will ensure that this and all of your other feedback is communicated with the team.

We very much do hope to see you again at COMO Maalifushi.

Pietro
All reviews water sports water villa japanese restaurant fish uninhabited island our honeymoon kids club private pool special thanks male airport attention to detail sea plane marine life main restaurant dolphin cruise madi restaurant the general manager
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

A great place to be for a memorable Maldives experience. High quality team lead by Pietro (GM) and Rico (Hotel Manager) with home-away-from-home hospitality. Food offered at at 2 F&B outlets were of extreme standard. Highly recommend this place if you're in for a chill and relaxing break with great hospitality, and looking for a place which offer a good balance of guests from different nationalities.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Pietro A, General Manager at Como Maalifushi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Dear Agnes C,

Thank you for your review of COMO Maalifushi. Both myself and Rico loved having you on the island and are thrilled that you enjoyed our hospitality.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our food, relaxed atmosphere and hospitality.

We very much hope to welcome you back to COMO Maalifushi in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

It's our second time to Maldives so there is some form of comparison, we stayed at Park Hyatt the first time. Actual rating for como maalifushi is 4.5 stars, almost perfect, but some small/ minor flaws that is not much an issue.

The fabulous:
The water suite is beautiful (simple decor that suits us) and spacious. Amazing view from our suit. Air con is strong enough to cool us down and the pavilion with sun beds is great for watching sun sets.

The resort grounds are kept well, and bicycles are provided for traveling from the water villas to the main area.

The shared pool is also amazing, partially shaded if u want to enjoy the view without too much sun.

The whole place has a chill vibe and decor is understated minimalist, which suits us perfectly.

The sea around the resort is pretty shallow so it's really good for swimming and for kids.

The transfer from/to male airport to the seaplane lounge and the seaplane, with the 5 min speed boat to the resort was seamless.

The not so great:
Service can be patchy in some instances, not a big issue though:

1. A couple of requests that we made through the phone were forgotten and we had to call again to check on the status after some time, ranging from half an hour to overnight

I think the problem is because there is no specific butler assigned to your villa which may result in such service lapses.

2. The Maldivian buffet spread which costs usd120 per pax can be improved, too little variety - 5 curries and a few types of condiment. Skip it.

3. Snorkeling is not so good compared to park Hyatt. Most of their corals died in April due to global warming. Also, the waters are mostly too shallow at the maalifushi garden reef to snorkel.

Tips:
1. Have breakfast delivered to your villa, amazing breakfast view.

2. Food and view at Tai, the jap restaurant is great. Reserve early.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank woofwolf
Pietro A, General Manager at Como Maalifushi, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Dear wolfwolf,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and also for your kind and constructive comments.

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed the Water Suite, resort grounds, main pool, relaxed vibe, sea and transfers.

Thank you for your feedback on the front desk service - we are actually looking at either a personal butler or personal assistant system at the moment to ensure seamless communication and this will be introduced in the first quarter of 2017.

We are also changing the Maldivian evening to a coastal South Asian evening to include Sri Lankan, Goan, Keralan and Tamil food as there is not enough variety (as you have pointed out) here in this small archipelago.

And yes unfortunately, last April's bleaching (the worst on record) killed 90% of the soft corals in the Maldives affecting the whole archipelago. We are pleased to see the reefs beginning to recover, though it will take some time sadly.

We do hope that you visit COMO Maalifushi again.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

We don't usually go back to places, but Como and Maalifushi tempted us, and if anything it was even better second time around.

Most staff have been there since the property opened with very little turnover and they run a well oiled machine delivering fantastic service, going out of their way to give guests special experiences and make fantastic memories for them.

Our flight from Dubai to Male was delayed by fog in Dubai and we missed the seaplane to Maalifushi, but it was not problem as Maalifushi rebooked us in to Cocoa island and arranged a boat transfer that took us straight to a Dhoni villa there on arrival. The seaplane dropped in to Cocoa to pick us up the next morning. What could have been a logistics nightmare was made painless and simple and after a long journey we appreciated it very much.

On Island, we enjoyed great food and quiet luxury very much. The kids club was staffed by a much better team this team run by Vicky. Together with her team, especially Nimms they made a really special time for our toddler, who begged to run to the club each morning immediately after breakfast, and left most days saying "Thank you for playing trains with Oscar, it made me sooooo happy".

Special thanks to Maria, John and Rommel from F&B, who are fantastic ambassadors for Como and who arranged a romantic beach dinner for us on our last night as a special treat. Its a memory that will last a lifetime and we are very grateful.

Thanks as well to Chef Taylor, who kindly typed up a couple of her secret recipes so we could take a little of Maalifushi home with us. She will I hope be pleased to know that her Eggplant Chutney recipe is now in full production in Spain !

Its a great property, but the team made it special and they are at the top of their game.

Room tip: Water villes in 3xx series on the Sushi restaurant side would be best for sunset view.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Dominic G

Dear DepDawg,

Thank you for your review!

It has made me and the team so happy to read that you enjoyed this stay even more than the last one.

I am so pleased to read that we rescued the situation after your flight was delayed and you missed the seaplane and that you enjoyed PLAY by COMO so much.

I have passed on your comments to Vicky, Maria, John, Rommel and of course, Chef Taylor.

I very much hope that you come back for a third (even better) stay.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

I cannot speak highly enough of this resort. It was expensive and worth every penny. The food was excellent and the service was excellent. My vacation started off horribly. I flew Emirates from Washington D.C. to Maldives, connecting in Dubai. Emirates oversold the flight from Dubai to Maldives and left me with no seat. As a result, I didn't land in Maldives in time enough to catch my sea plane to Como on my first night. Furthermore, Emirates lost my luggage. What could have been a disaster turned out not to be quite as bad thanks to Como's excellent service.

While still in Dubai, I booked a hotel for the night on the main island of Male since I knew I would not make it to my resort. I landed around 9:45 p.m. My bag was unfortunately not there, and the representatives at the airport were not helpful in terms of telling me where it might be and when it might arrive. I walked out of the baggage claim area, thinking that I would have to figure out how to get to my hotel in Male. I gambled, thinking perhaps a cab would be easy enough to find. However, when I walked out of the baggage claim area, there was someone waiting with my name on a sign. I was a bit surprised. Turns out that the people who work for Como had coordinated and communicated with the people at Somerset where I was staying for the night and arranged my transfer to the hotel. After more than 24 hours in transit, I was grateful.

The next morning, Como arranged transit from my Male hotel back to the airport. At that point, I didn't have to think about anything. Furthermore, the person who picked me up was able to communicate with Emirates and find out where my bag was located and when it would be arriving.

My transport from the airport was seamless. The staff at the resort were waiting for me with fresh coconut water when I landed.

Oh, and the rooms at the resort are impeccable. I stayed in a sea villa. The view was amazing. The room amenities are super modern. The food at all the restaurants is amazing. The staff went out of its way to do whatever it could for my friends and I.

The only downside to this beach paradise is that the only wildlife we saw on the island were crows. That seemed odd. If you are trying to figure out where to book your Maldives vacation, Como Maalifushi is the best!

Room tip: There are no bad rooms. Beach villas and sea villas are all superb. Just depends on what view you want.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Jrrob,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review COMO Maalifushi.

I am thrilled to read that we handled the unfortunate start to your vacation so well and what started off so badly ended in such a fantastic holiday.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed the room, our team and the food and do hope to welcome you again to our beautiful atoll.

Reviewed 3 January 2017

We visited Como Malifuushi on the 3rd October 2016 for our honeymoon and we were absolutely blown away.

First of all we arrived at Mali airport where we were greeted by a couple of resort staff who took our bags, guided us to the resorts luxury minibus and drove us about 15 minutes away to the Como lounge where we would wait for our sea plane transfer. During our time in the lounge we were supplied with complimentary food and drink. The sea plane transfer was about 50mins -1hr in duration, it offered stunning views of the many islands that make up the Maldives - we spent the whole journey staring out of the window. We landed in the middle of the sea next to a jetty, where more staff and a speed boat transfer were awaiting.

On arrival at the hotel we were met by the general manager, Pietro who offered a very warm welcome. We were whisked off to our room in one of the hotels buggies, however we asked for a tour of the island first which our member of staff was more than happy to oblige.

We arrived at our overwater villa, room number 314 and we fell in love straight away. You enter through the front doors into the living room which is spacious and decorated beautifully. Off to the left you have both your bedroom and a dressing room. The dressing room has an abundance of mirrors and enough storage space to stay the year and the bedroom is equipped with the largest four poster bed I have ever seen in my life. It offer the most idyllic views of the Indian Ocean and private island. The bathroom has his and hers sinks a waterfall shower, and a huge sunken bath. The bathroom, the lounge and the bedroom offer direct access onto the private decking where there is an outdoor shower, sun loungers and a bed/sofa, an Infiniti pool and stairway leading directly into the sea. The views from our water villa were breathtaking! It was other worldly. I must mention our room boy called Mango, he was excellent he was so helpful and always smiling ! So eager to please, his work was always brilliant and he really made an effort. He was full of helpful tips and advice and a real pleasure to meet, we can honestly say we wish him and his family all the best.

The dining experience at Como was excellent we were half board so had breakfast and dinner. All the staff are attentive and well mannered who couldn't do enough for you. Their passion for local produce and knowledge is impressive. The hotel operates a chefs garden which 95% of the food they serve is from, their sustainability is a real eye opener and very eco friendly. The standard of all the food is excellent, we tried lots over our stay and there was nothing we disliked, everything is cooked to perfection. I recommend that you try the theme nights as they offer something different and are very enjoyable, we had the seafood special, Indian night and an authentic Maldivian night, two of these nights had entertainment and it really added to the atmosphere. We also received a private beach dinner for two as part of our honeymoon package it was stunning, decorated so tastefully and tended to only when necessary, it was a brilliant night.

In terms of things to do , you are spoilt for choice. You can ; indulge in the spa, library, games room, use the hotels snorkelling equipment or non motorised water sports or take a trip on many of the excursions offered. We went on the turtle snorkelling trip where we took a speed boat to the the other side of the island which took about 25mins. We then dived in to the sea and went hunting, fortunately we were able to find the one turtle lurking in the deep along with a vast array of other fishes, usually on this trip they encounter around 5-6 turtles but because it was slightly colder on our day we only saw the one. It didn't dent our enthusiasm and we thoroughly enjoyed it. On numerous days we borrowed kayaks and paddle boards to venture out and explore the sea, looking for wildlife. The hotel provided you with snorkel gear and a house made reef which is brimming with beautiful creatures.

To make your way around the island which is surprisingly large you can either ring the hotel to chauffeur you round in one of their personal buggies or you can be assigned your own bicycles, we chose the bikes and they made it all the more easy to get around plus being more fun.

The weather was a mixture and that is completely understandable as we visited at the back end of monsoon season. The first four days of our trip were beautifully clear sunny days, followed by two days of torrential downpours and then four more of half and half days where the sun would we shining and then a thunderstorm which lasted around an hour at a time! Some times the wind was rather strong as being over the water in a villa it did leave you exposed at times but that just added to the fun of it in my opinion.

All in all the best place I have ever been and made even the more special because it was our honeymoon. The place is breathtaking and full of natural beauty, all the staff are excellent and so accommodating, the facilities are second to none. It is a truly memorable place and we look forward to returning some time in the future.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank starryjnr

Dear starryjnr,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review COMO Maalifushi.

It is so nice to read your comments and we are thrilled that you enjoyed the arrival, our COMO lounge, the welcome, Water Villa 314, our cuisine, COMO Shambhala and our activities.

Yes you do all get all kinds of weather between May and December at COMO Maalifushi - it can be beautiful as you have said and also wet, though it is always warm!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and do hope to welcome you again to our beautiful atoll.