“First visit to this place today”
Review of Wild Place Project

Wild Place Project
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 4 August 2018

Easy to find which was a bonus as my sat nave is not my friend.
Lovely sunny day and plenty of free parking.
As we had booked online and saved 10% we handed over our tickets and off we went. Was very pleasantly surprised by the natural state of the place and the children had fun exploring the butterfly trail and the wishing tree.
The 3 giraffes seemed to have plenty of room and the other animals looked well cared for.
Annoyed to pay £1.60 for a bottle of water but hey, that’s commonplace.
Lots of little shady areas for us to have our picnic although it was a struggle to find a bin.
Toilets were clean enough and easy to find.
All in all a good afternoon was had by all and I would recommend and return.

Guest Services ... W, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Place Project, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Thank you for your positive review!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to Wild Place and managed to find us easily (my sat nave is not always my friend either)!
So pleased to hear that your children had fun exploring our trails and wishing tree, I hope they managed to explore the barefoot trail as well as this is usually a hit too!
Sorry to hear you struggled to find a bin on your visit, we actually have over 28 bins on site so I am surprised to hear that, but we will monitor this and make sure they are in the most effective places.
I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your day overall and thank you for supporting us and our conservation work through your visit - we hope to see you back soon!

All reviews
"young children"
"giraffe house"
"annual membership"

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

I spent a few hours here with my son (6) and it was good value. We pre-booked to save 10%.

I'd say it's not a full-day visit but there's enough to do to fill a few hours. It was very hot, so the cheetahs and wolves were hiding, but we saw baboons, lemurs, giraffes and zebras from the main attractions. All animals seemed happy and well-cared for. The site was pretty clean with adequate toilets. We took our own picnic, and there were lots of picnic tables, which is great. I didn't go in to the cafe, and the chicken and chips van looked a bit unhealthy! We did buy an ice-cream though! There are a few play areas dotted around, so lots for little ones to do.

My only negatives would be the slightly chaotic arrival. There were pay desks for members and admissions, but people were confused and going to any one, and groups appeared to be pushing in. They perhaps need someone standing there directing people accordingly.

The map is also very confusing and I heard numerous people saying the same thing...

1  Thank Ali B

Thanks for your positive review!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and managed to see most of our animals on what sounds like one of the very hot days! - I am glad you managed to get an ice cream to enjoy!
I apologise that your arrival to Wild Place felt a bit chaotic. We have recently opened our new admissions entrance and we have experienced a few teething problems with the queuing system. We are working on these currently and plan to make the members only queue much more obvious and split the queue right at the very start of the path. This should help to reduce any confusion when approaching the tills.
I will pass your feedback on regarding our map - thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, all guest feedback is invaluable to us and will help us to improve.
I am glad that you both enjoyed your day overall and thank you for supporting us and our conservation work through your visit - we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Would recommend this to anyone. Not like it’s sister zoo & much better I feel. Great for all the family.

Guest Services ... W, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Place Project, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Thanks for the 5 stars!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Wild Place! You're right, Wild Place Project and Bristol Zoo are completely different sites, both with lots to offer for a great day out.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Thanks again for the lovely review.

Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

We, myself and my now 9 year daughter, have been to to wildplace project a dozen times and always liked it. I bought her the junior zoo keeper experience for Christmas, considering how cheap it was compared to.Bristol zoo and other simelar experiences I was not surprised that it was booked up until July when I booked in November.
So, to the point. Danniella the zoo keeper was great. We really felt that we got to know about the animals and the aim of the wild place. My daughter fed reindeer, meercats (great as I got to sit down and watch them chase crickets around me!), river hog and 2 types of lemur, plus a 3 week old rare bird who was being housed and hand fed due to being rejected by mum.
The lovely lady who showed us around was both very knowledgable about the animals, diet, behavior etc, and great with my shy daughter. It was over 2 hours of a one on one experience. I learnt loads, and my daughter more. Highly recommend the junior zoo keeper experience if your kid is like mine and gets on better with animals than people. Lon the whole I love the wild place project as the animals have so much more space, it is cheaper than the zoo, and the keepers really know their stuff. If you are into seeing animals on a more natural habitat rather than caged to be seem by the public then thenwildplave is for you. It means you.have to sit awhile to spot a wolf or cheatar, but it is worth it. Or just see the lemurs and meetcats who are very keen to see you.

1  Thank Sarah R
Guest Services ... W, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Place Project, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Thank you for the 5 stars!!
We are all delighted to hear that your daughter enjoyed her junior keeper experience. I have passed your feedback on to Daniella as she will be thrilled with your lovely review. Our junior keeper experiences are aimed to be educational and lots of fun, so it is brilliant to hear that yourself and your daughter found that to be the case!
Thanks again for taking the time to leave such a lovely review and thanks for supporting us and our conservation work through your visit, we hope you can come and see us again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 July 2018

We went to Bristol Zoo recently and although we quite enjoyed it we agreed that we should check out their sister site at the Wild Place Project.

The two sites are very different, but they both have their charms. The Zoo at Clifton is old (and constrained in quite a small area by large walls), which means that they have to be clever about how they put the enclosures together. The Wild Place is much more rambling, with larger (although equally well thought out) enclosures and a much wilder feel. There is a woodland walk at WPP and a meadow where you can have a picnic, which add up to a much freer feel than the main zoo. The other main difference is of course the animals; the zoo has an abundance of different species, but WPP has far fewer by comparison because it is a much newer location.

On this occasion I visited with my best friend and our babies, and because the little ones are early risers we actually arrived before the park opened at 10. There was a small queue when the park opened because it seemed other people had the same problem! We had paid for the tickets online beforehand to get the 10% discount, so we showed our tickets at the desk, grabbed a map and headed in. Despite the map and the relatively simple layout to the park we still missed the turn for the gelata monkeys twice but the rest of the park was pretty intuitive.

I was worried before we went that a larger park would mean less to interest my ten month old; she is pretty interested in things that move a lot, relatively close to her, but I thought a larger park would mean that she wouldn't be able to see things as clearly and she would get bored. I needn't have worried. The first thing that she saw when she woke up was the giraffes and she was amazed by them. The giraffe house has a ground level and a higher level so you can usually see the giraffes without any problems. It is a very well thought out enclosure and the giraffes seem happy. We went back a couple of times during our visit and saw them browsing outside and eating inside, and it was nice to see a range of behaviour.

We headed to the lemur walkthrough next, but on this occasion they were just relaxing in the heat. It was nice to see them so chilled out, but my daughter found the constant activity of the meerkats to be more entertaining! She also enjoyed watching the guinea fowl that wandered round the park, but wasn't as keen on the okapi, wolves, or gelata on this trip.

We had packed a picnic for lunch and were surprised that we were the only people in the Tower Meadow on such a sunny day. It's a beautiful, peaceful place, so I would definitely recommend doing the same. The cafe near the entrance seemed to have a range of food but it was a little expensive and there is only a small area to enjoy it in so bringing your own seems like a good idea.

I would definitely visit the Wild Place Project again, especially as my daughter gets bigger and is able to enjoy it more. It is sensible that it is priced cheaper than the zoo because there is less to see due to it still being quite a 'young' project. I think until my daughter is able to walk under her own steam I'll probably favour the main zoo over WPP because you can't really take a pushchair on some of the woodland walks, but as soon as she is toddling properly I think we will back to the Wild Place quite regularly.

4  Thank ihaveshoos

Thank you for your positive review!
You are right, we are a completely different site to Bristol Zoo and we are still developing and growing each year. We celebrated our 5th birthday on Sunday and we are thrilled with the progress of the site since opening.
It is lovely to hear that your daughter enjoyed our animals - in particular, the giraffe house which was a new addition to the site last year.
Tower Meadow is a great spot so I am pleased you managed to enjoy your lunch there - it is perfect for a picnic on a sunny day!
We hope you will visit us again soon, our next exciting project is 'Bear Wood', you can find out further information about this on our website and we are all very excited about it!
Thanks again for your lovely review, we look forward to welcoming you back.