“Leap of faith staff”

Wild Place Project
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

I took my two young children here a few days ago,they loved every minute from the butterfly maze,jumping in and out of old jeeps dotted about and the barefoot trail.We stayed for about 5 hours then as we were leaving my 7 year old daughter seen the climbing wall and wanted to have a go,we paid and she got her safety equipment on.
Nerves started to creep in but the staff were great with her and also let myself and my 5 year old son go in with her,she really enjoyed the many different challenges and was so proud she done it.The staff then let my son join her on the big rope swing.Brilliant day out,Brilliant staff all helpful and friendly.Will visit again.

Guest Services ... W, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Place Project, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Thank you for the 5 stars!
We are all so pleased to hear that yourself and your 2 children has such a lovely day with us and enjoyed seeing our animals as well as all of our trails and other activities on site.
I have passed your lovely feedback on to our Leap of Faith team as they will be delighted to hear that they were able to make your day even more memorable!
Thanks again for your lovely review and for recommending us as a fun day out - we hope to see you again soon!

All reviews
"plenty of space"
"young children"
"annual membership"

Reviewed 4 August 2018

I'm flabbergasted. Whatever regulations got passed here for the upkeep of wild animals clearly got overlooked considering the links with Bristol Zoo. We were shocked at how poorly kept the enclosures were. For example, the wolf enclosure. A one sided quagmire where the only options for them seemed to be over excited children screaming, shouting and banging on a perspects window or to cower in some trees and wait for the next rabble of excitable children.

1  Thank Temba H
Guest Services ... W, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Place Project, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Animal welfare is of the highest priority at Wild Place Project. All of our animals are housed in enclosures which are appropriate for the individual species and allow them to display their full range of natural behaviours in their homes.

When planning the animal collection at the Wild Place we decided on European Wolves to educate our guests about the dangers of deforestation and ancient British animals. The wolves are also part of our bigger plans for a British Ancient Woodland exhibit that we have just started building and is set to open in the summer next year.

With regards to keeping animals, there are husbandry guidelines for a number of species managed by EAZA (European Association of Zoos and Aquariums). The Wild Place Project is a member of the organisation and we have exceeded the guidelines for European Wolves to make sure that the 5 animals in our care have ample space to get away from visitors, and from each other if needed.

Wolves will often patrol the perimeters of their enclosure. This is actually a common behaviour. Wolves will regularly patrol their territory in the wild, keeping it safe from other wolves that might try and sneak in. This is an innate behaviour that is still carried out in captivity. The rest of the time our wolves will be resting/sleeping, either in the bamboo bushes or in the dry soil under the pine trees. Large carnivores spend a lot of time sleeping to conserve energy and to digest food. The enclosure is planted out heavily to provide adequate cover to do this. The trees also provide shelter on busy days so the Wolves can get away from guests if they want to. The whole exhibit is set in a large woodland area which mirrors their natural habitat in the wild, it has been carefully thought out in order to provide our wolves with ample space, both on show and off show to guests - a large part of the wolf exhibit is off show to guests and the wolves can choose to spend time wherever they like.

I hope this explanation goes some way to alleviate your concerns, thank you for supporting us and our conservation work by visiting us.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

Easy to find which was a bonus as my sat nave is not my friend.
Lovely sunny day and plenty of free parking.
As we had booked online and saved 10% we handed over our tickets and off we went. Was very pleasantly surprised by the natural state of the place and the children had fun exploring the butterfly trail and the wishing tree.
The 3 giraffes seemed to have plenty of room and the other animals looked well cared for.
Annoyed to pay £1.60 for a bottle of water but hey, that’s commonplace.
Lots of little shady areas for us to have our picnic although it was a struggle to find a bin.
Toilets were clean enough and easy to find.
All in all a good afternoon was had by all and I would recommend and return.

Guest Services ... W, Guest Relations Manager at Wild Place Project, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Thank you for your positive review!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first visit to Wild Place and managed to find us easily (my sat nave is not always my friend either)!
So pleased to hear that your children had fun exploring our trails and wishing tree, I hope they managed to explore the barefoot trail as well as this is usually a hit too!
Sorry to hear you struggled to find a bin on your visit, we actually have over 28 bins on site so I am surprised to hear that, but we will monitor this and make sure they are in the most effective places.
I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your day overall and thank you for supporting us and our conservation work through your visit - we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

I spent a few hours here with my son (6) and it was good value. We pre-booked to save 10%.

I'd say it's not a full-day visit but there's enough to do to fill a few hours. It was very hot, so the cheetahs and wolves were hiding, but we saw baboons, lemurs, giraffes and zebras from the main attractions. All animals seemed happy and well-cared for. The site was pretty clean with adequate toilets. We took our own picnic, and there were lots of picnic tables, which is great. I didn't go in to the cafe, and the chicken and chips van looked a bit unhealthy! We did buy an ice-cream though! There are a few play areas dotted around, so lots for little ones to do.

My only negatives would be the slightly chaotic arrival. There were pay desks for members and admissions, but people were confused and going to any one, and groups appeared to be pushing in. They perhaps need someone standing there directing people accordingly.

The map is also very confusing and I heard numerous people saying the same thing...

1  Thank Ali B

Thanks for your positive review!
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and managed to see most of our animals on what sounds like one of the very hot days! - I am glad you managed to get an ice cream to enjoy!
I apologise that your arrival to Wild Place felt a bit chaotic. We have recently opened our new admissions entrance and we have experienced a few teething problems with the queuing system. We are working on these currently and plan to make the members only queue much more obvious and split the queue right at the very start of the path. This should help to reduce any confusion when approaching the tills.
I will pass your feedback on regarding our map - thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, all guest feedback is invaluable to us and will help us to improve.
I am glad that you both enjoyed your day overall and thank you for supporting us and our conservation work through your visit - we hope to see you again soon!