Black Rock Lodge
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Black Rock
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Gaia Riverlodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Benque Resort and Spa(Benque Viejo del Carmen)
Very Good 4/5
Mariposa Jungle Lodge(San Antonio)
Ka'ana Resort(San Ignacio)
Rumors Resort(San Ignacio)
Great 4.5/5
Clarissa Falls Resort(San Jose Succotz)
1,024 results
All reviewsother guestsmacal riveron sitenight hikebird watchingfamily stylevaca fallshorseback ridingrope swingdeluxe cabincommunal diningremote locationcanoe tripacross the riveratm cavejurassic parkbumpy dirt road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This place is fantastically beautiful. The natural setting is breathtaking. I would make this trek again in a heartbeat. The lodge is located amongst the trees in the jungle a few miles from Guatemala. Giovanni is the the manager and he is the best, always expect a pleasant stay with him. Our guide through the jungle and friend was Ricky. Ricky was amazing, he lived in the jungle as a child and learned about all the medicinal properties. He is very knoweledgable and worth going on a guided walk with him. Be sure to ask for him at the front desk.

Room Tip: I don't know what to say about that. I think all the rooms overlook the river along a wonderful paved trail.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We just returned from a four night stay and the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more accommodating. They answered many an email before our arrival on transfers, tours, what to pack, etc. We did our activities through the lodge. While it might be more expensive we like having someone to turn to if something goes wrong with the tour operator. We enjoyed all our meals at the lodge and found the prices reasonable. Portions were plentiful. The onsite rafting and bikes were nice to take advantage of. There's no AC and grasshoppers, toads, etc abound but it's an eco-lodge in the jungle so to be expected. Enjoyed how they seated you with other guests at dinner. It was fun meeting new people.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Wanted to share our great experience at Black Rock. All around fantastic trip from the time we were picked up at the airport until we were dropped off in Belize City to continue our vacation in Belize. Our family, me, my wife and two sons, ages 11 & 7 couldn't have asked for a better time.

All meals were great and very healthy - a surprising great break from the standard trips to fast food we often make - the beers and cocktails cold! The river front cabana was a treat - listening to the jungle come alive at night and sunrise was just way too cool. Relaxing in the hammocks with a cold beer at the end of the day, what else do you need? The night hikes around the property, seeing snakes, feeding taratunlas, tracking down all kinds of frogs in the pond, while not my wifes favorite - kept me and the boys well entertained. We also did the ATM tour which was a very neat experience for the kids - it is a bit sketchy in places and was a struggle for our 7 year old. We did a few other tours, zip lining,etc away from the resort, which in hind site i wish we hadn't done and spent more time at Black Rock takng advantage of the daily activities there.

Everyone went above an beyond while we were there - I came down with a pretty nasty ear infection the 2nd days into the trip. i mentioned this at breakfast and by the end of breakfast I had a Dr's appt scheduled in town and was taken to the appt and pharmacy to get the meds. this is the kind of service that will have us coming back again.

We travel all over the world and tend to stay at small, out of the way places - Black Rock ranks way up there if you are looking to get away from the crowds and a 500 room resort on the beach!

Room Tip: We stayed in a river front cabana #6 - if you enjoy listening to a river running and hearing the birds, bugs and animals come to life at night and dawn this is for you. If you want to listen to the AC run, go to the Hilton (no offense).
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My sisters and I stayed here for three nights in July 2012 and had a wonderful experience and the only two things that were a con about the place were:

1. Due to the condition of the road leading from Western Highway to the lodge, transportation is expensive. Shuttles/taxis will charge almost an arm and a leg for the short ride. Tours are much more flexible with the transportation; just make sure you tell your shuttle/taxi to stop by San Ignacio really quick to book yours tours the day you arrive because it is less pricey compared to booking it with the lodge.

2. We really wished for an AC unit in our room (room #1). It was hot and sticky, expected from an eco lodge in the jungle I guess, but what a difference that would make for a vacation. May be better lighting and a full length mirror in our room would have been a plus (three women traveling, what can I say?) but that's OK, you could say it all added to the experience of being in the jungle so it was nice nonetheless. Considering how the rooms have been constructed, it would be quite an investment to add AC units to each room but food for thought.

Pros:

1. Middle of the jungle location is gorgeous and the scenery is amazing! I looked forward to dining because of how romantic it was... with citronella candles lit all over the dining area to keep mosquitoes out (and I like the citronella scent), the full moon light casting over us (lucky for us, it was full moon when we were there), and the soft music playing in the background. And while you sleep, you can hear the sounds of little jungle critters/frogs/whatever they were and rain falling all around, and when you wake up, you see all the bright greenery with sounds of birds chirping all around you.

2. There is a lot of do around the lodge like hiking, biking, tubing, relaxing on the hammock in front of your room, reading on the lower terrace where you have privacy and a front view of the river and all of these free, unless you want a guided hike at night and morning then you pay the lodge a fee to take you out. I wish I spent a day exploring the property but we barely even had time to tube down the river and that's when I saw the picture perfect lower terrace.

3. Service was very good. One of the main servers, I forget his name (he works the same shift as Sandra and whistles sometimes when he comes by), was very attentive and approachable. Even when the kitchen is super busy, he still puts up a big smile and gives you his full attention to anything you need. Javier was also very nice, attentive, and helpful, even though he can be a bit overbearing at times, there is an endearing quality about him that makes him a perfect host. They even went above and beyond and prepared a very late night dinner for my hungry brother who arrived very late the night before we checked in. I also loved seeing those gorgeous and mellow German Shepherds just being lazy all around the property.

Bottom line: I would bring people with me and stay here again because the jungle location and service is worth it but would dread the cost of the ride from Western Highway (AKA TP Mansion) to the lodge and I would book my tours independently to avoid paying the mark up that the lodge charges for booking it for you.

Room Tip: Room #1 gets a lot of traffic, not a good location for honeymooners.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We spent four terrific nights at BR, and it met or surpassed all of our expectations. To start with -- and to us this makes a good resort great. To start with, Giovanni keeps everything organized, moving and always with a smile. Genny in the office is a delight, as is the always sweet Sadie who tends bar, and does so much more. Rejection (I might have that wrong), is the main waiter who sings as he puts your plates down. And Javier, who helps organize activities, is knowledgable, extremely pleasant and patient.

If I stopped there, it would be enough. But there's much more.

FOOD: The meals were plentiful, varied, creative and of high quality. Our daughter is a vegetarian, and they made sure that she was well taken of with choices. We enjoyed each meal, in part due to each night mixing up the seating arrangements so we met new people each night, adding to our stay. Of course, that might not be for everyone, but we enjoy it.

ROOM: To start with, our large double was clean. While we had some outside visitors, that's to be expected in a jungle lodge. But spacious, clean and authenticate recall we wanted -- and we got it.

EXCURSIONS: Every aspect of coordinating our offsites were perfectly arranged -- from our trip to ATM (highly recommend!), Caracol (worth it, but a long bumpy ride), to horseback riding and mountain biking. And everything ran like clockwork --each driver appeared early...all were pleasant, knowledgeable and helpful to. Though not officially an excursion, borrow BR's tubes and walk the 20 minutes or so to tube down the Macal River; it was good fun, and relaxing, and doing the falls at the end was challenging and rewarding -- literally, since Javier offered (and made good) to buy me a Belikin if I didn't succumb to the falls.

LOCATION: We love adventure, and getting to Black Rock is relatively easy from the Belize city international airport -- that is, until you turn off the Western highway and hit the last seven -- very bumpy -- miles. For us, it added to the charm.

And when Ernesto loomed, Giovanni, Javier and all took great care to ensure we were all taken care of. Fortunately for us, we were already booked to head south to Placencia, but others had been booked to head to SanPedro and Ambergris -- right where the storm was tracking. The whole staff rallied to make sure everyone had alternative arrangements and, for those who chose to stay, they had no troubles extending their stays.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family