There are many wonderful things to say about this place and especially about the guides (Isaias and Carlos were great). The owner clearly cares about the place and treats the staff well. The food was great at every meal and the bar/restaurant staff are very cordial. There are lots of fun activities to do on site, including canoeing, rafting and hiking. I felt good staying here.
While I agree with many of the stellar reviews on TA, I can't help but feel there are two asterisks that made my stay a little less than perfect:
1) there is no air conditioning on property. This is no problem during the day, but at night, I could barely sleep I was so hot, even with the fans on full blast. We stayed in May, which is a hot month. By the third night, I started to get used to sweating in the sheets, but it still wasn't fun.
2) Offsite activities are pricey. This may be partly related to automobile and gas prices, but I'm keeping in mind that Belize isn't Tokyo $$$$ and it isn't Saigon $. For scale, most sources peg the gross income per capita for Belizeans somewhere around $4,000 a year. A one way transfer to or from Belize city will set you back ~$140 US per car (up to 4), which is a 2.5 hour drive. Driving to San Ignacio runs ~$40 a trip. A trip to Tikal for two people will be around $450 total ($325ish for the transportation, $65 a head for fees, border crossing a guide in Guatemala). These prices aren't cost prohibitive, but they certainly aren't a good deal.
No matter where you stay you're going to have bumpy roads, bugs in your room, mosquito bites and plenty of noises at night. It's the jungle! If these are problems, plan a trip somewhere other than San Ignacio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Black Rock Lodge's stunning rainforest location offers unmatched opportunity for adventure. Whether canoeing the Macal River, horseback riding to Flourcamp Cave, or touring nearby Tikal & Caracol, guests are inspired by the diversity of the local wildlife, including over 320 bird species sighted on the property. Our commitment to environmental stewardship is evident in every aspect of your stay and our knowledgeable and friendly staff go above and beyond to ensure your comfort and enjoyment. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Black Rock Hotel San Ignacio