Lalibela Game Reserve
  • Restaurant
Hotel Victoria Mews(Grahamstown)
  • Fitness centre
  • Breakfast included
Kwandwe Private Game Reserve(Kwandwe Private Game Reserve)
MyPond Hotel(Port Alfred)
View Hotel
All reviewsgame reservemark's campmarks camplentaba lodgewonderful experiencesafari experienceother guestssouth africawild animalsthree nightsgreat foodhis knowledgecape townspent nightselectric blanketsgarden routegreat fun
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed two nights at the Tree Tops and were actually the only two guests for one night. We had the awesome Ranger to ourselves who was so knowledgeable about all animal/bird/plant life. The room was clean and comfortable with heated bed toppers in case you got cold. The staff was amazing and the food great. Being our 33rd anniversary, we were surprised by a picnic lunch during one of the drives, with a table set for 2 with a white table cloth, quiche, fruit, breads, cheese and wine. The owner and staff went above and beyond to find the perfect spot. We'll never forget it or be able to thank them enough for making our visit so memorable. Thanks so much Brian, Julie, Siya and Netty.

Room Tip: Tree Tops Lodge is wonderful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 30 September 2013

What should have been a trip of a life time for my Mother and I at Lalibela turned into a nightmare only a few hours after arriving. We were staying in one of the “Tree Top” lodges, which are accessed by a raised wooden walkway. After some very light rain that afternoon we found the wooden deck of the walkway very slippery, even though we were taking the greatest of care as it was dusk, to my horror my mother slipped and fell more than 6 feet into the bush below. Although there is a wooden handrail, the gap between the hand rail and walkway is open! My mother sustained head injuries, a broken nose and various abrasions to her face and body. If this was not enough, no management staff were available or willing to attend to the incident!! I had to insist that my mother be taken to hospital, it took nearly 30 minutes before anyone arrived with keys to vehicles. When we arrived at hospital it was left to me to negotiate my way around an African hospital late at night to get medical help for my mother. It is a miracle she survived a fall from that height, I can only put it down to the fact that she is extremely fit and robust, my worry is this could and probably will happen again and could result in a fatality. I have been in contact with Lee Philips who is one of the Directors at Lalibela who seems totally disinterested and sends emails from her lawyers with veiled implications that my mother fell deliberately and friendly warnings not to contact the media . Numerous emails have been batted back and forth, but Lalibela are not interested, they have offered us a complimentary 2 nights stay to be taken later in the year, this is totally inappropriate given the circumstances and the fact that we live in the UK. We have never asked for compensation, simply for our stay to be refunded and the safety of these walkways to be looked into before there is a fatality, Lee Philips seems happy that they comply with SA regulations even though the majority of their visitors are European and would expect their safety to be of paramount importance. The staff at Lalibela are great and can’t do enough to make your stay comfortable however, there is a total lack of care on behalf of the management, and my real fear is that this will happened to someone else.
My recommendation is to stay in any of the other game reserves and give this one a miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank JanandMurray
Vernon W, Part-owner at Lalibela Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

It is natural to be disappointed when holidays don't go according to plan and the guest's mother falling was obviously one of these. Whilst we were, and remain, sympathetic to the lady who fell, it is regrettable that the guest chose words in her description that do not accurately reflect the events and actions and which therefore show Lalibela in a bad light. We do not believe this is a forum to engage in tit-for-tat. This is a forum to give readers the other side of the story so that Tripadvisor readers can make up their own minds about a product.

Tree Tops Lodge opened in 2004 and this incident is the first of its kind. The guests had been on evening game drive and had had alcoholic drinks on their return. The guests then walked on the raised wooden walkways to their room and the lady (in her 80's) fell through the railings. Our staff were present at the time of the incident but management decided to bring in a person qualified in First Aid to take the lady to hospital. This took some time.

It is entirely untrue to write that Lee Phillips was disinterested - Mrs Phillips took the matter both seriously and personally. Mrs Phillips reported the incident to our insurers, as we are obliged to do if an incident like this occurs. Mrs Phillips had no option but to take instructions from our insurers. They arranged for an independent assessment of the Tree Tops and its walkways and the findings were that Tree Tops is 100% compliant with all health & safety and building regulations. Accordingly, the finding was that Lalibela was in no way negligent and our insurers prevented us even from making a goodwill gesture of a refund. We are able to maintain our offer of a free stay for the guests.

Should anyone have concerns at all about Tree Tops, I encourage them to contact me directly via the Lalibela phone number.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed two nights at Marks Camp, and loved every second of it. The room was very spacious and comfortable, and the shower was much better than i imagined, although dark and with some insects around.

The staff and the food were amazing (make sure to try hot cocoa with Amarula after a night drive), and the game drives were very exciting and informative, thanks to the incredibly knowledgeable rangers. I'm so impressed just thinking about how much they know about all the different species, and how they have such a heart for the animals.

I couldn't get enough of the game drives, and after my time there have picked up a love for birds, wild animals, and animal conservation that i never had before. This was largely due to the unfortunate incident of the rhino poaching that happened at Lalibela only a week or so after my visit.

My love for Africa has been awakened after experiencing Lalibela, and my life will never be the same.

Visited in Sep 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We spent 3 nights at Mark's Camp during which 2 of our party had birthdays. Brian & Julie put on a magnificent celebratory evening for us, with Xhosa dancers as we sat around the 'boma' fire followed by a wonderful feast and birthday cakes for the two birthday individuals. This was our 2nd stay at Mark's Camp and the hospitality is incredible, the accommodation very comfortable and the game drives fascinating with knowledgeable game rangers who found a huge variety of animals, insects and plants which they told us about in great detail.
If you haven't stayed at Lalibela you have a great experience in store for you when you do go!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed in Tree Top's Safari Lodge for three nights. Rooms were clean, spacious and equipped with all necessary amenities. It was still chilly outside in the morning and at night time but the rooms were well heated and warm electronic blanket induced a good quality of sleep. Foods were delicious and nice wines/alcohols were served during the meal and at the bar corner. Safari driving were really fun and we were able to see many kinds of animals. But what impressed us most was staff's hospitality. Every staff were very friendly and offered us "high standard service", which made our stay in the Lalibela unforgettable. Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends