The Gorge Private Game Lodge & Spa
US$232
Orbitz.com
US$135
Cancelon
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsattention to detailbreathtaking viewsout of this worldmy husband and ioutdoor showersouth coastexcellent servicewedding anniversaryprivate game lodgehis teamtreated like royaltyhidden gemzip liningblown awaycoming backpersonal touchmade us feel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Thanks for making our engagement so memorable. The view from our room was magnificent, the room was beautiful and spacious, the food was amazing and beyond master chef standard, the service from the staff was impeccable and always with a smile. The spa sessions were very relaxing and the zip line was a lot of fun. Thanks to the chef for the special coffee cheese cake after we mentioned to one of the waiters the previous evening that Louiza likes cheese cake. Thanks also for the free car wash prior to our departure. We will definitely be coming back very soon! Danie & Louiza

Room Tip: Room 5, where we stayed in apparently has a 100 percent strike rate for successful engagements. You figure out the rest ...
1  Thank Daniehef
Mike C, Owner at The Gorge Private Game Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Glad you could stay with us for this special occassion - thank you for the nice review!

Warm regards
Mike

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This lodge is amazing; particularly because there are only 5 chalets, making the lodge very private. The architecture of the chalets is most amazing, allowing for 180 degree breathtaking view of the Oribi Gorge. The staff are very friendly and attentive to detail. The spa treatments are incredible too.

The one thing I would recommend to the owners is installation of fireplaces for those nippy winters. Otherwise, there's nothing to fault about this lodge.

Room Tip: The 1st chalet on the left after going down the staircase.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel must be the best kept secrete in South Africa. We have tried to arrange an overnight booking here but as yet have not been successful, but I am determined to keep them on my places to stay list. This is because they are very small and niche and have an exceptional offering. The facilities and rooms can only be described as unique with the most amazing views of the gorge. My husband arranged my birthday lunch at the restaurant and I was blown away by the personalised attention from the farm entrance to the staff waiting for us at the restaurant. The food is prepared by the resident chef and team and I can only say that it is a culinary delight and must for anyone in the area to try.

2  Thank Iris D
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been to a number of hotels over the years, but this is the first one that really amazed me. I don't know what to mention first: the breathtaking view, the attentive staff that spoiled us, the food we enjoyed... Attention to detail is what makes this place special.
We were spoiled by the staff, and felt free to let them know our every whim. They were happy to oblige, and we had the feeling they would be sad if they didn't do their very best for us. I tried to lend a hand in one instance and they pleaded with me not to. They really wanted us not to lift a finger during our stay, and we didn't feel bad, because we saw that made them happy.
The meal times are not fixed, one can have their meals brought in the room at any time, candle for dinner and all.
The view from the restaurant is the same as the one from the rooms - you can see the gorge until deep down, and right at the bottom there is the river. I would go as far as to compare it with with the Grand Canion, only this is greener.
We enjoyed the outside shower, which is a nice touch. If that isn't your style, though, you can settle for the indoor shower, or have a bath in the tub.
The food was a delight. I don't know what I can say more about it. Simply delicious.
We went for a game drive with Mike, the owner-manager, and we enjoyed our chat..I recommend visiting the suspension bridge, which isn't your everyday stroll. The view is amazing there.
The bottom line is: if you are seeking a place where you don't have to do absolutely anything but relax, look no further than The Gorge!
Thank you, Mike, for helping make our honeymoon perfect!

Sergiu

1  Thank Sergiu_Lk
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Took Tripadvisor advice and took my wife for an anniversary spoiling ... that ended up being an understatement!!

From the beautiful shot of hot chocolate as a welcome drink to being addressed by name by every single staff member to a glorious room everything was perfect.

Had a spa treatment which was great in amazing surroundings (started in a thunderstorm and felt great)

Dinner was brilliant had confit of lamb started with amuse-bouche and a tasty orange sorbet. The wine list a little small but the Rietvallei Chardonnay was great.

Then came the piece de resistance the romantic turn down with rose petals all over the floor and the robes and towels folded and decorated - very special.

Breakfast as good as dinner superbly cooked to request.

The only place that is as special leaving as arriving - get to a freshly washed car with branded floor mats to wipe your feet on.

If you can get there!!!