Majika's Island Resort
All reviewsisland resorthot springsthe cottagescoral gardenstable tennisship wrecksno electricitytake caremarine parkcoron tripkeep up the good worknature loversthank you so muchwould highly recommend this placesoul searchingbeautiful naturenice house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2013

was in Majika just recently for a reunion of balikbayan cousins and I was never wrong to have chosen this place. Of course we did our own research and knew the place well before finalizing. we had to know that this was going to be a laid-back experience meaning...no tv, no internet, and hardly cold water even. but I guess this was what worked out for us. the more we had no connection to the outside world, the more we had great bonding moments. there's a billiard table, pingpong table where the kids usually gathered round. it is not your typical beach since the sea in front is not suitable for swimming, unless you paddle your way to the raft just further ahead where the sea is deep enough for a quick swim. i saw a swimming pool being built so i believe this will solve the swimming issue. This is why everyday you have to go out to do the tours which are very very worth doing. This resort is very near the shipwreck too and also whitesand beaches are very accessible. Basic, laid back, rural and secluded best describes this place. But the best part of it all is the service. I give 5 stars for the excellent service of this resort. If you want personalized service where your wish is their command, then make it Majika.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Cookieceb
Reviewed 26 May 2013

It has been a short 4 day trip but it was one of the best summer vacation for me by far.

We arrived in Busuanga on May 17 at 12 noon and the Majika van was already on standby to pick us up. Mang "Totoy" had to drive us
to where the small boat was to get us to the resort.

The boat ride was less than 30 minutes and I have to admit the very moment we went out into the open waters of Coron, I already
fell in love with the place.

THE WELCOME--The frontview of the resort was spectacular- so serene and peaceful. We were greeted by Ate "Tintin" (who was very friendly btw) and
the staff with a very warm welcome, a genuine one (she even offered to wash my feet!). The food was already set on the table and all
we have to do is eat. Ate Tin introduced us to other members of the Majika staff and to Kuya Marlon ('The' diving guru). They went ahead telling us
the activities in store for us in the next couple of days.

THE WRECK, CORAL GARDENS, MARINE PARK & MAJIKA - Whilst having breakfast on our Day 2, Kuya Marlon went ahead and gave us instructions on how to breathe underwater,
the correct sign languages to use and showing us the oxygen tank- my sister looked at me and shot me the "Are you sure we are doing this?" look.
The next thing we knew we were at the dving shop of Majika trying on wetsuits (good job Kuya Marlon!).
At the diving site, we had a short briefing once again on the do's and dont's. Each of us were paired to one kuya diver (121).My sis was accompanied
by Kuya Junior and I with Kuya Avon - both should be awarded because of their patience.
I made it to the Japanese ship wreck, saw the beautiful corals and marveled at the view underwater (though I did not go very deep because I might
forget how to breathe :))- it was amazing it looks like a wallpaper. Next stop was the Twin Lagoon and The Kayangan where we all had seafood lunch.
last stop was Coron Town proper where we met the owner of Majika (Maji) who is also oozing with hospitality (customer service at it's finest!). We ate "halo-halo"
at a nearby restaurant and we talked about travel, islands and what they are doing to preserve the beauty of Coron and I was very impressed
because she was was not like the other resort owners who just happens to be concerned of their "business", I could see her passion and her advocacy to preserve
what's left of our beautiful islands as well.

ACCOMMODATION & FOOD- Our room at Majika was big, had two queen size beds, the washroom is clean, water never runs out, most of the time they are on generator
but it was totally fine, you wouldn't actually feel that the Electricity is on generator. Had a ceiling fan and another extra, the room was well ventilated.
I must admit that I had hesitations at first because there was no A/C but it was all ok (really it was). There were hammocks all over the place where you can just lay and be lazy in the afternoon whilst reading your favorite book. The place is really quiet and
peaceful- it's a nice retreat for nature lovers and people who wanted a peaceful vacation and away from the busy life.

Food was served in the common dining area. Most of the time they served us filipino dishes and seafood but one can make a request as well. The only thing I missed
was ice cold water because there were no ice cubes but they have cold sodas and juices, so that already solved my issue.

THE STAFF- It was a short trip but the people at Majika made it more memorable - Thanks to Maji, Tintin, Vangie, Kuya Marlon, Kuya Junior, Kuya Avon, Kuya Arnel and
all the Majika Staff for the hospitality.The things you did and the things you are doing to preserve our beautiful natural resources impressed me. Keep it up.
We will definitely return and see you again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank refinnej15
Reviewed 21 May 2013

3 weeks has past since our trip to Philippines/Coron . Spent the first agonizing week fighting jetlag in Toronto but now I'm ready for my review :

DAY I SUMMARY

My family visited Majika on April 28-May 1st --Too short to be honest . I would have loved to stay longer but time wouldn't permit as me and my sister had to get back to Canada for work. Everyone seems to always end up in Boracay these days so my family decided to try something different . most of my friends have recommend to head to Palawan instead so my aunt arranged it and off we went . Before our flight to Coron ; my sister did a bit of research about the resort and told me that we couldn't swim in the water because of jellyfish. I thought she was joking ; i thought it was a little odd that we weren't allowed to swim on a beach resort.

From the airport we met up with the Majika van waiting outside . It was a 45min drive to this pier to where were we transferred to these motor boats that took us to Majika island that took another 20mins . The boatmen introduced themselves and Junior told us about the restrictions of swimming in the water due to the jellyfish. He also showed us another fisherman who had scars on his leg because of it. When our boat docked on the shoreline . Everyone had to walk into the shoreline a couple of feet --- I waited till everyone got off and i went in last .

And of course, it had to happen to me .

You see, I took 2 steps into the water towards the shoreline ... and i felt this sting on my left foot . Turns out I walked into right jellyfish tentacles that sat right on top of my foot ! It started to sting even more but after some vinegar that they had applied ( luckily no one had to pee on my foot ) --- eventually the stinging went away. Seriously ; moments before the boatmen warned us about the Jellyfish, one happened to greet me arriving on the island !

After that stunning welcome ( pun intended ha) -- we got acquainted with the Majika staff members . Played a bit of billiards and ping pong and had early dinner so we can head on up the hillside to check out the sunset. I was amazed to see a pitcher plant for the very first time ! They were scattered allover the hillside. The view from up above was just spectacular . Not to mention the gentle breeze -- if only we could sleep up there and gaze up to the stars ! As the dusk settled and night was upon us --- we shared more stories at the bar/lounge area and we called it a day in preparation for the next days activities ! The Majika island is capable of accommodating groups of guests - the 5 of us were the only ones there. I was kind of hoping to meet other people from different parts of the world but I guess our timing was off - but hey that's alright !

DAY II SUMMARY

Our first whole day in Palawan; Me and my sister tried to catch the sunrise but we woke up late . Junior went with us atop of the hill.After lunch we went offered to go scuba diving with Marlon --- I was a bit hesitant to do it at first but I figured how many times will you ever get the chance to go scuba diving ?10 minute crash course with Marlon- oh man, I was hooked ! This was the highlight of my entire trip to the Philippines. We saw an shipwrecked japanese boat on the Tangat Island. If you've never gone scuba diving, DO IT = *MIND-BLOWN*

Snorkelling at white sands was next , ( note: Snorkelling just wasn't the same after Scuba Diving haha ) Lots of nice scenic areas we went to at Kayangan Lake and Barracuda Lake ! The water was insanely clear that you can see the bottom of the ocean floor - and man it was DEEP . lotsa tourists from other resorts but that was expected. We had a mid afternoon lunch at the Kayangan lake shoreline while our feet dangled in the seawater ! We were also greeted by a wild monkey !

After the tours from the two lagoons, our boat went for another pit stop at a coral reef where we did a final snorkelling dive at an area that had the most fish ! I've never seen such an abundant number of corals and fish in one area ! Sea Urchins the size of basketballs . We then proceeded to the town of Coron so the crew can restock and it was nice to have a bit of a break . Found a nice cold glass of coca cola at a nearby sari sari store !

Back on Majika Island ; we had dinner and my family had each requested a 1 hour deep massage session with Ms. Joyce . Man she sure is a tough little cookie with those hands --- there was 5 of us too !

As the day came to an end ; I went for a walk, I hung out at the bar and had a beer with Tin Tin sharing stories while we watched Game of Thrones on TV ( Season 3 episode 3 ! )

DAY III SUMMARY

Sadly our trip came to an end. We were supposed to go on another snorkel run in the morning but we passed because we just wanted to unwind and relax for the remainder of the morning. I hung out by the shoreline and found a Jellyfish that beached on shore ( oh yes i got my revenge ) . Momentarily, it was time to part ways . We bid farewell to half of the Majika staff and group of them brought us back to the mainland pier :

Just before riding the Van back to the airport ; Junior took us around this Mangrove Forest and Marlon brought out this giant nautilus shell/ snail --- The biggest f'n snail I've ever seen in my life !

We all got back on the Van and they took us back to the airport . Our flight was a slight bit delayed but we made it back to Manila around 3pm. It was my last and final day in the Philippines . May 1st, we flew back to reality ... Back to Toronto …….

*** SOME RANDOM NOTES ; IN MY OPINION ***

LOCATION : Some people might find it inconvenient that you aren't able to swim in the water freely because of the jellyfish but there are so many places they take you to do that ! There is also a pool being built so rest assure you will have the time of your life ! Hammocks everywhere . The bar/lounge has billiards, ping pong, Karaoke too ! We all had zero mosquito bites . Just bring proper bug repellant and you'll be fine.

SERVICE : The food was decent ! I was content . It tasted good too ! I was hoping for inihaw na pusit ( BBQ Squid ) but that's ok Ive had too much already in Manila -- nonetheless, no real complaints. Cold drinking Water was available .They have various beverages , pop, beer, for a very small reasonable price ; Not bad at all ! First towel is free ℅ the staff but after that its a $100 pesos ? i can't remember … we had our own towels . We never had mosquito problems in the rooms . (I think ive gotten more mosquito bites in manila actually !) Just make sure you close the door or they'll come in of course .. One thing about the rooms you should be aware of is the electricity is only on during the evening to preserve power ( makes sense ) … so charge your electronics, mobile devices at night =)

The staff are the friendliest nicest and hard working people I've ever met on an island resort - very thankful for making our stay a most memorable one !

CLEANLINES : It wasn't so bad . The cottage/rooms are well kept. No big complaints or issues. Food was clean. Drinking Water was clean . A+

ROOMS : We only really used the rooms to sleep as we were out most of the day . We were in house 5 . I slept like a baby at night under that electric ceiling fan. Theres no AC but theres ceiling fans which made it even better in my opinion. Bathroom was decent ; There was a tabo and big pail, c'mon its traditional filipino style bathing ! I don't remember having hot water but the water temperature from the faucet was tolerable and actually refreshing - Toilet flushed normally in our cottage. If they didn't flush its not the end of the world people . Be thankful you have toilets even.. geez !!!.

SLEEP QUALITY : Slept like a baby - no joke !

VALUE : Comparing it to all the other overly priced resorts in Coron, it was well worth it., it was well worth every peso . I'd go back again without any hesitation.

*** GENERAL TIPS AND OBSERVATION ***

* You'll have a much better time going to the island with zero to no expectations ! I did and I absolutely LOVED it

* The Majika staff are the nicest, friendliest and well informative group of island resort hosts I have ever met !

* Watch out for jellyfish in the water ! The head is harmless but tentacles will sting ya . They majika crew have vinegar around so don't worry, no one will end up peeing on you .

* If you're looking to relax the best possible way, Majika has massage services on the island - make sure to ask for Joyce . She's tiny but man she will seriously destroy all stress out of your body … I mean it ! She will ask you, "Soft, Medium, Hard" …. I picked medium and oh man; i can't imagine what the HARD massage must be like . Joyce was surprised my sister went for the hard massage and was able to get thru it ! Highly Recommended =)

* 3G signal on the island doesn't work very well but cellular works ( i was able to text ppl in manila ok using a smart sim card)

* The bar/lounge at Majika has a television set which gets the regular channels. At night we were watching Hunger games and Game of Thrones on TV .

* Scuba Diving with Marlon -- ( for P2000 / 30 min ) ---- DO IT ! Absolutely INCREDIBLE ! Highlight of my trip !

* Bring your own snorkelling goggles/snorkel . They have some to use but may be limited in numbers . If you have a dive suit or rash guard , bring that too to avoid having jellyfish come in contact with your body. Remember that some areas are inhabited , mainly near the shoreline and mangroves .

* If you do go Scuba Diving and have an underwater camera ; make sure to check with Marlon the depth limit of your camera or the water pressure underwater will ruin your camera/housing. I brought along my iPhone 4s watershot camera and it has a depth limit of 40m

* Bring mosquito repellant / OFF spray if you're gonna hike. I never gotten bitten once or had any major complaints about bugs

* Wear shoes if you're gonna hike up the mountain hillside behind Majika, it's a bit rocky but doable.

* They're building a swimming pool on Majika island ! Not sure when it will be done but will be available for people who wanna go swim !
3 days 2 nights is way too short -- If you can book 5 or maximum days I think you'll enjoy it even more !

* Have cash to carry around as creditcard/debit machines are tough to get by in town.

* If you're expecting something like Boracay --- this isn't it. It's a x1000 times better .

* Not used to being on such a remote, rustic island ? Quit complaining and just be happy that you are on vacation . Would you rather be in cold climate or listening to your boss ?! Think about it

* Relax, Have fun .. unwind and ENJOY THE ISLAND !

*** FINAL THOUGHTS ***

Growing up in a technology driven, industrial environment , it was really nice to be disconnected from it all --- it wasn't crowded or noisy . The island was calm and peaceful - The perfect getaway for relaxing. I admit i was a bit thrown off when we first got there ( jellyfish stings, poor 3G internet signals ) but in the end, you just end up embracing it all for what it is. If there was anything i could change about the trip to Majika , it would be making it a longer stay !!I ---- 3 days 2 nights just don't cut it.

It saddens me to read such degrading reviews from other guests/visitors because EVERYONE at Majika was so accommodating and outstanding hosts … seriously some people need to re-evaluate and get over yourselves ! Yes, I've read the previous reviews ; What kind of idiot goes on VACATION … ON AN ISLAND and COMPLAINS that they weren't taken to the mainland to attend Church. I am Roman Catholic and I go to church and pay my respects. Gee, I think the Lord will understand if you are unable to make it down for ONE DAY. Besides I don't see Majika advertising that Church is part of their excursions *sigh* . Anyway not to go off topic, but remember that moment when I got stung by jellyfish right when I took 2 steps in the water - well one would think that would set the bar and be horrified for the rest of the stay but that didn't ruin my trip at all ! Mother nature was just doing its thing -- its way of welcoming me to Coron .. right ? ! The sting disappeared after an hour . I was ok. .. and now have my jellyfish story to share and laugh about !

Well I could rant on and on about the beautiful scenery, corals, lagoons, scuba diving ,etc …. It was the wonderful Majika staff made my trip most memorable.

Tin Tin, Junior, Marlon, Ken, Joyce and everyone at Majika who may have been misunderstood/mistreated by previous guests , if you're reading this ; remember that we can't always please everyone and thats the reality of this world --- I've never met such thoughtful, friendly and good hearted people, don't anyone ever tell you otherwise because you guys are all P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L in my book !! ( Alright wheres the Facebook like button when you really need it ? )

Tita Majie, I never got a chance to meet you ( hopefully next time ) I want to say that your team did an absolutely incredible and outstanding job taking care of us during our stay … Yup - They definitely deserve a raise *wink* !

God bless my friends , until next time … i look forward to seeing you all again ! You can find a more detailed adventure about my trip on my website found here :

…. and also you can find me on instagram : http://www.instagram.com/sideshowsito

that's my 2 cents trip advisor folks

…This is Mr. Sito . Hope you all get to enjoy and experience the "majik"-a of the island !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
18  Thank sssito
Reviewed 12 May 2013

If you're looking for a quick summer getaway, Majika is the place to go to. The resort will make you forget about the wild and rowdy Boracay, and give you an experience completely unique. I especially like that it is on a remote island in Coron and it will make you feel miles away from civilization for a much-needed unwinding. First thing I did upon arriving was turn both my cellphone and brain off, and headed straight to the dining hall for a welcoming meal. Then we spent the next two days boating and snorkeling around the different islets and it felt really refreshing coming from the usual 9-5 life of busy Makati. The meals in between the trips were also well-varied and satisfying, and my boyfriend and I slept like babies at night. Recommending the resort to everyone looking to recharge their batteries!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank aubs_011
Reviewed 12 May 2013

My group of college friends stayed at Majika’s this summer. Doing our research for the trip, we had a choice of staying at the cheap lodges or hotels at Coron town, at ultra expensive exclusive resorts or at this fairly priced island resort. Bad feedback from our other friends who experienced staying in Coron town accommodations led us to this booking.

We were extremely happy that we made the right choice. The moment we set out to sea after the land transfer from the airport, we were amazed by the awesome scenery. The cottages were rustic. No aircon, but comfortable enough. The clean and fresh air in the resort provided a nice respite from the polluted city air of Manila.

We spent the whole vacation on island hopping tours and doing endless adventure activities. Firefly watching was unique. We even saw shooting stars at night. But the activity I enjoyed most is fish feeding while standing on a World War II shipwreck. It was great as advertized! The food served in the resort gave us the needed energy to do this. Some of us even gained weight; home-cooked food prepared the old-fashioned way.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting to visit Coron.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends