“Overrated, overpriced, neglected”

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Berkhamsted
“Overrated, overpriced, neglected”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Booked a room for the night as I had previously stayed in the annex and was satisfied with the room. However on this occasion we were placed in the main building in room 4. Situated beside a plant room which seem to house the industrial kitchen extractor which when turned on at 7am shook the bathroom so much that even the dirty light fittings in the ceiling had fallen out! The room was reminiscent of a doctors waiting room with not so much as a wardrobe, in place was an open clothes rail with ironing board and iron stacked in the open on full view. The bed was so poor we could feel each individual spring under our backs. Left to find the rooms ourselves through a maze of corridors, stairs kitchen staff and fire doors wedged open with chairs I couldn't believe the filth on the carpets, old food and mud. Staff pleasant enough but with an air disinterest in what they are doing. Breakfast very poor, bacon undercooked and inedible. I could live with all of the above in a chain hotel at £40 a night but charging £120 is simply unacceptable! If you want to be at boutique hotel prices then spend some money at least on the bedrooms and a vaccum cleaner for then corridors!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Johnrichfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Many wedding guests stayed here.
We booked a buffet for 50 on the Friday night before the wedding all had,breakfast on Saturday and brunch on Sunday.
Guests staying in other hotels due to the Bridal party and other wedding guests using all the rooms at the KA were welcome for the buffet and brunch.
We were welcomed by such friendly helpful staff, the buffet was super, rooms, well appointed and spotless, faultless service.
The hotel was booked full with guests,everyone enjoyed their stay and would go there again.
Thanks to all the staff, we had a great time.

Room Tip: We had a family room which was big, plenty of space , comfortable bed and beautifully clean.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We did not stay in the hotel but did have lunch which was beautiful. The soup was to die for and the flatbread sandwich was lovely. The service started out well but tailed off until we ordered a second round of drinks and didn't receive them. We then asked again and recieved two dirty glasses.

Despite this we did go back for breakfast the following day as we were at a loose end. The breakfast was appalling with tasteless sausages and bad service. It did appear that the table next to us received good service from a young man, we were served by the hostess who didn't ask whether we wanted brown or white bread and just assumed we wanted brown, brought us tea in a stained pot and two stained cups and no sugar. The eggs were overcooked and nothing seemed to be that fresh. Once the food was on the table we were all but ignored.

All in all its ok for lunch if you prefer to be left alone. There are a number of far nicer places to eat in Berkhamsted within a similar price range.

If stained glasses and cups would irritate you and you prefer a place where the staff actually pay attention to detail this place will drive you insane.

• Stayed April 2013
Tring, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Had a lovely dinner with my family the staff were helpful and polite also fantastic with my young children the food was great value for money not to mention delicious. This is the first time I have eaten in the kings arms but for sure wont be the last

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Shocking is the only word I have for the service here. There were about 20 people in the restaurant and it took them over half an hour to cook our 4 breakfasts. My mother didn't get hers and when we chased the order we were told by a stroppy Italian that we needed to check out first!!! Wth. He then mentioned there was a delay as they were busy...and didn't like it when I pointed out all the empty chairs.

He was so incredibly rude and didn't even apologise. Lots of staff working...all chatting.

Rooms were good but freezing cold. No hot water for showers in the morning. Rooms really noisy as based next to staff area.

Real shame as could be so much better!

Tweeted the manager and no reply.

Think they should take a look at their service and pull their heads out.

Won't return or recommend...

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Eventcompanyowner

Travellers are raving about these Berkhamsted hotels

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I arranged a surprise party for my husband and we stayed the night as did some of the guests. The venue for the evening was good and the staff were excellent throughout our stay. Nothing was too much trouble and this helped to make the evening a great success. Our room was very comfortable and breakfast was good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I have stayed at the Kings Arms 2-3 nights per week for the past 6 months. The Hotel/Pub/Restaurant is very well located in the centre of Berkhamsted High St. I would describe my overall experience as anything from average to very good - you don't know what you're going to get!

Accommodation - well spec'd, decent broadband connection in all rooms, toiletries, fridge/minibar in room, clean, rooms 4,5,6 are very draughty in the winter as they have the original sash windows. In the summer they are very noisy as you are directly above the bar. Rooms 7 and 8 are tucked away but there is a very low beam going from the bedroom to the bathroom that is a real pain when you're staying there for the whole week! I am 5'11'' and managed to hit my head every other time I went into the bathroom! There is also a distinct lack of shelves/cupboards to put your clothes. I find myself living out of a suitcase for 3 or 4 nights when really, I would like to be able to unpack. The other rooms are well proportioned. Some are family rooms which are a bit more expensive but usually very comfortable. There is a modern feel to each of the rooms. Flat screen TV with HDMI connection if you wanted to watch a film from your laptop.

Restaurant - This can be 'hit and miss'. You can experience a fantastic meal one night and a pretty average one the next night. The menu is quite limited (when you're staying there week-in week-out!) although, they do have a specials menu daily which is usually quite good. Service is usually quite good with the experienced staff, however, when the newer, younger staff are working it's as though they don't know what to do or where to be. They could make use of some kind of training programme to ensure continuity. Breakfast is another story! There are more experiences of substandard service during breakfast than at an evening meal. You think that they would just be able to get it right more often than they do!

Function room - there is a function room also at the KA. Make sure you don't want a quiet night in when there's a function on! The noise will generally go on until the early hours of the next morning!

You also get access to the local gym which is just across the road from the KA. Facilities there are good although there isn't a pool.

The KA suited me in terms of location for the 6 months that I stayed there. It must have been acceptable or else I wouldn't have stayed there for that long, I would have gone elsewhere! I sometimes think that the KA doesn't know what it wants to be; function room? hotel? restaurant? pub? It does an 'ok' job in all of these areas but not world class in all areas at the same time.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 879Kevin_G879
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkhamsted
The Pennyfarthing Hotel
The Watermill Hotel
The Watermill Hotel
#11 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West...
#4 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!