“Favourite place for coffee”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Berkhamsted
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We live locally so can't comment on the accommodation, but this is a great pub to come to for a drink (hot or cold). My husband and I often pop in at the weekend for a latte (very reasonably priced £1,50 and delicious). The service is always good.
We've eaten here a few times too and the food has been good.
Good place to come at the weekend for a few drinks.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrandmrslord
KingsArms147, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Mrandmrslord,

It’s so lovely to hear from our more regular customers, thanks so much for leaving your feedback.

We’re really pleased to hear that you enjoy your time at the Kings Arms and we’re looking forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Attended a function here therefore stayed overnight.The staff are really friendly and food was
good. However I did feel the rooms were overpriced. I did read some of the reviews before my
stay and will agree that it can be very noisy when you are trying to get some sleep!
Other than that it does what it says on the tin!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Hi Anne,

Thanks so much for leaving your feedback, it’s incredibly helpful and allows us to make the appropriate changes where necessary!

We’re sorry you found your stay a little noisy at night time, the bar downstairs can be very busy in the evenings and slightly intoxicated guests aren’t easily controlled!

However, if you’re looking for a more peaceful stay, we have a sister hotel down the road called the Penny Farthing.

We’d love for you to let us know what you think!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Not terrible and the staff did try, but our party of 8 was a bit disappointed by our brunch on New Year's Day. The coffee took too long and was luke warm when served. Food was nice but eggs cold. I got the feeling some of the dishes had been sitting for a while before being served. The biggest problem for me was the dining area filling with smoke from the kitchen. I would have expected better ventilation. When we raised concern we were simply told not to worry about it we weren't in danger!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Hi AndyAnywhere,

We’re really sorry to hear that your time with us at the Kings Arms wasn’t up to our usually high standard. New Years Day brunch gets very busy, but this does not excuse that your food wasn’t piping hot on its arrival. If this happens again, please do not hesitate to talk to a member of staff and we will be happy to rectify the situation.

It’s incredibly unusual that the dining room was getting smoky on your stay, we have several ventilation systems in place to accommodate for the open plan kitchen. This is something we will endeavour to investigate further!

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Dinner with six friends, seated next to the open kitchen which I don't mind but be prepared to smell like the grill when you leave. Place is clean and staff friendly, the food is a little sad . Not a very exciting starters menu so went for the beetroot and horseradish risotto, terrible dish and struggled to finish it. Mains were so average, where I consider my home cooking tastier and more presentable than that served. I can't see us running back for a table soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Jason,

I’m so sorry to hear that you didn’t have an enjoyable time at the Kings Arms.

If you do decide to come by again, we have just installed our new summer menu which we would love for you to come and try. It is far more extensive, and it’s had great feedback!

We would really love to hear what you think,

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here on business last week and on the plus side my room was reasonably comfortable, staff we're friendly and breakfast was pleasant. A couple of things concerned me though - there is a fire escape at the bottom of the staircase up to the bedrooms which is wedged open all the time and opens out onto a public road. Anyone passing could easily access the bedroom area and I didn't feel very secure at night. This feeling was compounded when I mistakenly went to the wrong bedroom door only to find that my key opened it and someone was asleep inside! I would have mentioned this to the staff the following morning but as no one bothered to ask me if I'd had a comfortable stay I decided they weren't interested!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AlexTobin
Oakman I, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Hello there, we are sorry that you felt disappointed with your experience at the Kings Arms. Following your review we have thoroughly checked all doors and can not find a key that opens another door. The fire escapes are all locked at night. We have since liaised by email regarding your visit but if you wish to chat to us further please email our General Manager Sarah at sarah@oakmaninns.co.uk. Many thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here for one night on the 31st October 2013. The hotel was very chic and has been sympathetically restored, with an eye on preserving all the original features. Bedroom and bathroom excellent.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was outstanding, except for a bit of a delay between the starter and main course.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating,

The two things we were not too happy with were the noise and the lack of parking.
Our room was at the front, and we were disturbed by a very noisy brewery delivery at 5am, followed by street sweepers amongst other things!
It would have also been useful to have had more information about parking, especially as we were new to the area.

But overall, an enjoyable visit,

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Desperate for a room we stumbled across this trendy pub, what a great find. Staff were wonderful and made our stay very enjoyable, even carried our case upstairs for us, which was appreciated. Would definitely recommend this hotel to friends. It is a lovely town which is close to London and surrounds.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a/c unit noise, otherwise a wonderful room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkhamsted
The Penny Farthing Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#4 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!