“service at mcdonalds tops this”
Review of Martins Pond

Martins Pond
Ranked #12 of 75 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Price range: US$11 - US$35
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Iain, Chris and the team warmly welcome you to Martins Pond. As valued guests to our lovely country pub,we aim to exceed your expectations from the moment you enter,delivering the friendliest service possible within a relaxed & cozy atmosphere. Being passionate about our business we endeavour to provide the best quality produce and have selected local suppliers to ensure outstanding results. We have extensively refurbished the pub to create a wonderful space for any ocassion, whether it be a leisurely lunch, family dinner, or just a few cheeky drinks!
Reviewed 6 May 2012

i visited the restaurant last weekend,this was my second visit since the restaurant had been refurbished.I found the service terrible and was not spoken to in a friendly manor by any members of staff (most of them are children and inexperienced) not knowing how to pour wine etc, even the landlady was very sarcastic and rude i will not be returning, and advise any others to avoid this place they call a restaurant.

7  Thank lucy p
MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Firstly I apologise if you feel that you were not treated with the same level of care that the vast majority of our guests experience.

That said with respect to your comments:-

Yes the majority of our staff are young ( school / univercity age) but to call them children I feel is a little derogatory as they are young adults. They have all been with us for over 6 months and we generally receive nothing but praise for their manners and politeness. In the current society I believe they are a credit to their age group.
They have all been trained in the standards we expect but perhaps not what you were expecting. Again as I've stated before on this site we are not a silver service establishment. You will not be receiving bread before you starters and we do not pour wine unless asked ( mainly because as a drive too destination we let guests choose how much they want to drink) but also because we are foremost a relaxed and informal pub restaurant

With regards Melanie my other half and owner / landlady. As you'll see from the majority of the reviews here she does everything she can to make sure that our guests have a great visit and many people come back purely because of her. However when guests are in the wrong (and yes guests can be wrong) she is very truthful and this may be seen by as sarcasm.

The level of service that we offer and attention to listening to our guests I think is clearly shown by the amount of responses that I make to each review on this site. We are also very openly on Twitter and Facebook for guests to communicate with us in their chosen format and if we believe that something is addressed that we can improve on then we listen and take action.

Our service is not one of those issues as overwhelmingly our guest are 'lov'in it'

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Very helpful staff, the owner is lovely and made extra effort to check I was comfortable (I was 8 months pregnant at the time).
Food brilliant, waffles dessert was amazing!
Good atmosphere, good food, will definitely be back.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Made our first visit here based on its status as "number one restaurant in Berkhamsted". It was ok - food was fine (good home cooking standard but hardly Masterchef) but the service was slow - we had to ask twice for a glass of wine, and three times for the bill. Children at the table placed close us were an irritation too.
Not sure we'll be going back.
Still nothing to touch The Old Mill as our favourite local.

4  Thank wotplanetuon
MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

From reading your review I can only assume you came during a very busy weekend when the speed that food goes out is a little slower as we cook everything from fresh, which we do advise on our menu's. We also pre warn guests if there is likely to be a delay as sometimes everyone comes in at the same time. The vast majority are happy to wait for the experience.
That said I apologise that you had to ask for the bill on more than one occassion and can only state that our young team are usually 100% on their customer service skills so I assure you that this was one off.

With regards are food, I think the majority of guests that have written here and the pictures that we have posted show that we well above just homecooking. I do appreciate though that some guests who come based upon our Trip Advisor ratings are expecting a 5 Star fine dining experience based upon a 5 blob rating. To those reading this we are not fine dining but we do produce excellent tasty food without the pretentiousness. If you enjoy fresh food produced by talented chefs who take pride in their work then you won't be disappointed.

Finally regarding children. The owners before us some 6 years ago BANNED children. To be fair the majority of the times that we have young families in are usually early Friday or Saturday evenings or for a family Sunday Lunch. We welcome well behaved children and as long as they aren't unruly or unsupervised I think they add to the atmosphere of what essentially is a family run, family friendly establishment.

I do hope you come back and give us another try as I know that our service and food is well above just ok and hopefully next time you will be impressed

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We dine here pretty often although not for a few weeks... I had the burger and my Husband had the Chicken Kiev...Wow! The presentation has stepped up a notch again. The Burger was partially deconstructed, beautifully presented on a wodden platter with the chutney in a mini metal pale and the burger sauce in a minature pump dispenser! Everything tasted superb as usual. Still the best overall dining experience for many miles.

MartinsPond, Owner at Martins Pond, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Thanks for the lovely comments. We keep trying to raise the bar and it's great to see that our guests are loving it

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I love the creative menu.. it is great to see a menu and specials change and despite the regular dishes, there is always something different to try. There is nothing pretentious about the menu either. The problem is .. when I try other 'good food' pubs on my travels, it is hard to find places that are able to offer such consistently good quality food prepared to order as you will find currently at Martin's Pond.