“Good Meal at Martins Pond”
Review of Martins Pond

Martins Pond
Ranked #9 of 74 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Price range: US$11 - US$36
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Iain, Chris and the team warmly welcome you to Martins Pond. As valued guests to our lovely country pub,we aim to exceed your expectations from the moment you enter,delivering the friendliest service possible within a relaxed & cozy atmosphere. Being passionate about our business we endeavour to provide the best quality produce and have selected local suppliers to ensure outstanding results. We have extensively refurbished the pub to create a wonderful space for any ocassion, whether it be a leisurely lunch, family dinner, or just a few cheeky drinks!
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our first visit to Martins Pond for my wife's birthday. We went on a Saturday night and booked a table at 8pm well in advance. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived and the first impression was that the tables are all close together.

Unfortunately some of a large group had arrived very late and so a table was not available - we sat down at around 8:20. Certainly by 9pm the restaurant was much quieter so perhaps a later booking may work better.

The food was very good (we both had the duck main course) and the choices were good and prices reasonable so all in all a very pleasant evening. Thanks Mel

2  Thank Brian S

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had been to Martin's Pond as a couple several times but were pleased to be able to take visitors there for a meal. Our food was cooked well with excellent ingredients. Our visitors thoroughly enjoyed their meal. There was plenty of choice and the atmosphere was pleasant.
Our waiter was superb and had a sense of humour. We will definitely be dining there again for special occasions. Just one minor comment. Two of us had the belly pork and both of us felt that the dish would have benefitted from just a few vegetables ( perhaps green) other than parsnips.

2  Thank poppypower17
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Good service, reasonable food, tho' quite pricey for what it is. On the couple of occasions we've been, the fish has been the best choice. Cooked and presented well and, unlike the other dishes, not too salty.

1  Thank LogieBaird
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked in advance for 4 of us ,having first studied the menu carefully & ascertained over the 'phone that quite a few of the meals could be adapted to suit someone requiring a gluten free meal.I also viewed the gallery of meal & establishment photos so I was under no illusion that this would be anything but a primarily dining venue with drinks available & despite a traditional pub exterior the interior would be modern: so it was.
We were greeted most pleasantly & were able to choose our table from a wide choice ( not possible later, as the pub became very busy .
Our drinks were all in good order & the staff were able to offer a good choice of meals that could be adapted to suit the one person of our group who required gluten free.
All our meals were well presented but I consider that the portions were undersized in view of their price. For those having a starter, main meal & a sweet it would be perfectly adequate but I would deem the combined cost excessive.
2 of us had the mushroom risotto which was far too salty. The other 2 had a meat & a fish dish respectively & these were not accompanied by any vegetables. Our risottos had no salad accompaniment.
2 of us had a sweet & I must say that my mango sorbet was superb-full, rich mango taste but the other sweet, a creme brulee, was miniscule & far from worth it's cost.
So, to sum up: Good , attentive service, modern interior ( don't expect the inside to reflect the outside but , to be fair, you can see that on the photo gallery ). Not value for money in my opinion & I realize that I am laying myself open to being accused of valuing quantity over quality but I truly believe the portions were undersized & lacking in accompanying vegetables/salad. Apart from the oversalting of the rissoto , the food was certainly O.K. but nothing special.
As for the Gents toilets, I was quite surprised at how grim they are. Ghastly beige tiles on the walls with gaps around some of the fittings, horrible dark floor tiles reminiscent of a very dirty looking tortoiseshell. Also the pipework is stained, no hand drying machine that I could see, just a paper towel dispenser. The toilets may have been clean but they really do not look it. Definitely not in keeping with the modern dining area.

6  Thank keith h
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My family and I have visited this restaurant several times to date, and every time we have been very pleased with the lovely setting and the exceptional level of service at Martin's Pond. The menu has a nice selection, which varies with the season; our meals have never disappointed.
It is worth mentioning that we happened upon Martins Pond when we were searching for a home last fall, having moved here from the US. My daughter was then just seven months old. I was struck by how accommodating the staff was to her. There is a beautiful restroom with a well-maintained changing area, which makes all the difference when you are weary from house-hunting. We enjoyed our experience (and our meal) so much, that it made a lasting impression on us. We ultimately found our new home just around the corner, and now make a habit of stopping by for dinner on Saturday evenings.

1  Thank Mary S