“Great cinematic experience the way it used to be years ago”
Review of The Rex Cinema

The Rex Cinema
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Berkhamsted
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rex has one huge screen set in a glorious 1938 art-deco proscenium with the sharpest film projection and clearest non-booming sound anywhere in the world. Throughout, its seating is big and soft. It has been called luxurious. It is better. It is civilized. It reminds us of what we have long stopped expecting from public buildings.
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I used to go to The Rex regularly many years ago before it became derelict so it was great to see it restored to its original glory with its all red styling and distinctive Art Deco features - plus now with the added benefits of much improved seating and picture quality.
There is no parking at cinema but you can park in town carpark (behind Tesco) and walk up - only took me 5 mins so no inconvenience at all.
I went to see new Senna film and booked circle seat for 2pm matinee viewing - cost £5. Very reasonable I thought. There is small bar & seating in reception area with TV screen showing listings for upcoming films. Seats in cinema itself are comfortable with plenty of leg room and you could take your drink with you - even have slot in arm of seat for you to hold your drink, nice touch.
The film was documentary from footage in Senna's heyday so it was hard to tell what 'new' HD quality film would be like but I'm sure it would be fine as everything about the place smacks of class and quality.
I believe they also show old classic B&W films so you really can experience what it was like to see it as they did when it was originally shown.
I enjoyed the film and my experience at The Rex very much and if you're a film buff then it really is a place you must visit at least once.
Highly Recommended.