“50% off the only reason for our visit but we left full and happy”
Review of Ask Italian

Ask Italian
Ranked #36 of 70 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Price range: US$9 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: ASK Italian in Berkhamsted is a place for great food and warm service. Think fresh bread made to tear and share. A glass of fine wine worth deserving of your time. Delicious main dishes prepared the traditional way. Everything we know and love about Italian food is served straight to your table. Take a look at our Berkhamsted menu and, if you like what you see, book a table.
Basel, Switzerland
“50% off the only reason for our visit but we left full and happy”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I recieved an email offering 50% off all food and drinks vaild only for 2 days, so we decided to use it as you dont often get vouchers offering money off the entire menu. One of the terms was that the voucher was for 2 dining only, but we went as a family - 2 adults and 1 child. I was expecting to pay full price for the set menu childrens meal, but it was given 50% off too.
I started with king prawns with a garlic butter which was strong, but the prawns were large and tasty. My husband had Prosciutto E Rucola which he had because they didnt have Calamari. It was a large plate and my hubby said it was good.
I had the Penne Al Pollo Della Casa for the main. I always worry that these chain places dont make their pasta dishes fresh, as Ive been to an Ask before and the pasta was awful (Marble Arch Ask, many years ago), and I was told at Pizza Express once that the pasta is pre made off site and arrives in plastic bags, and I believe Pizza Express and Ask are basically the same company with different names, owned by the same people. I havent been to an Ask or Pizza Express since then. I decided it wasnt worth the stress of asking if the pasta was fresh or not, and just try it. I was impressed that the meal tasted good - I still dont know if it was made on the spot or in a factory but it was nice and hot and tasted good. My husband had a calzone, which he would enjoy if it was made in the street, he loves a calzone!
My daughter, from the childrens menu, had a starter of garlic pizza bread with vege sticks, this was quite large so we all had some bread. She had a pizza for a main, which was ham and mushroom and was half a pizza. It was way too much for her - she is 3, but the childrens menu is great value and would be an excellent meal for an older kid.
We had dessert too, seeing as we were only paying half price. I had the chocolate nemisis, which was great - put chocolate in front of me and im a happy woman. My husband had the lemon meringue pie which looked nice but I didnt try it. He ate it all. My daughter had chocolate ice cream. Yum.
To drink we had rose wine and beer - i had the wine and I liked it quite a lot, but only had one glass, it was a weeknight afterall.

The place looked really nice, and very modern - I was really happy with the way it was set out, it didnt feel stuffy like they used to be decorated - the tables were clean with nice centre pieces - the bottles of oil with aprons on were fun to look at and read about.
The staff were friendly and accommodating to us, which i can only imagine when people come in with children everyone probably rolls their eyes, but the staff were nice enough to my daughter, gave her things to do and doodle and talked to her a few times which made her feel welcome.

I wasnt too worried about the bill which is why we had 3 courses, and we were very happy paying £35.something for all of the above. I would go to this ASK again, especially with the girls for a nice dinner out and drinks - but obviously if I was paying full price I wouldnt be as keen to have 3 courses - there are some beautiful restuarants in and around Berkhamstead that for 2 adults £70 would get you an outstanding meal, and while we were impressed with the meals at Ask on this visit, its not the place I would want to spend that kind of money.

• Visited March 2012

Reykjavik, Iceland
“Food is OK, not expensive though. Nice enviroment”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The restaurant was clean, service was good. The food is pasta and pizza, and the place is what it is - a pizza restaurant.
I enjoyed my pizza, food was tasty, everything was clean. Service was fine. The wine is good value, not expensive, and a decent range of cheap wines. Water was rather expensive.
I will go there again

• Visited September 2011
hertfordshire
“Great food - appalling service. Ruined evening.”
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We went tonight to Ask in Berkhamsted (Christmas Eve) taking myself and my sister and her partner. I can honestly say we have never seen such appaling service. At one time we walked round the restaurant and no-one was being served with food. It was dire. We had to resort to saying that, after waiting for an hour, if we didnt receive our main courses within 5 mins we were leaving. The meals arrived within 3 minutes, but by then it was too late. There are so many things I could critisise about tonight, but I would just simply say, don't go there. We agreed a discount of 40% but this does not put right the fact that an important family occasion was ruined.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank thewestbromfan
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Dreadful!!!”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Where do I begin....I've been to this restaurant a couple of times before and never had I experienced service, and food so bad. There was a lady in the restaurant cleaning cutlery and chucking it into the boxes and it made the most annoying cluttering noises each time, why not jut place it in ESP when there are people in the reatautant eating. The problem didn't stop there, our mains were horrendous, dry and burnt pasta with dry chicken and no 'white wine sauce'. I asked to have it replaced for something else and the lady didn't seem too pleased. Anyway out came the second main which I usually have when I'm there. The chicken risotto was so salty I just took the mushrooms out an left the rice. To add insult to injury, they charged me the difference for the risotto which I only had because the first main was so disgusting anyway. Sure I would have said
something but my partner hates these situations so I didnt. Needless to say we won't be going back. Only positive is the gentleman (Shaun?) who works there.

Brussels, Belgium
“Good pizza's”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

place does not look particularly nice, but service is efficient (sometimes too...) but the pizza's are great ! And all at decent prices !

• Visited December 2011