“Overpriced and very ordinary.”
Review of Villagio - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 May 2012

The only positive comment I can make about this relative newcomer to Berkhamsted is that when I pointed out the shortcomings of the food and service to the manager he did respond positively. The food and ingredients were of a poor quality, the pasta was a trifle stodgy and on it went. I pointed out to the manager that possibly a pasta in prawn sauce should have more than three prawns and he agreed with me stating that I should have had eight!!!!
All in all this was not a good experience, poor value for money and clueless service. The bill for me on my own was over £25.00; not at all impressed. It could be that there is a market for yet another chain Italian restaurant but unless Villagio improves the owners will be disappointed.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

5 of us decided to go to Villagio for a second visit and again we were not disappointed. All the dishes were good, efficient service, the bill with 2 bottles of Chianti came to just over £100, excellent value for money.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Went there today for lunch, all the staff were excellent and extremely friendly! They were brilliant with my two children and bought them over colouring and kids menus and gave them balloons. The food was very, very nice and the atmosphere relaxed. Many thanks for an enjoyable time and we shall be returning soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have NEVER done one of these reviews, so I was determined to make sure Anna and her colleagues get the feedback they deserve at Villagio at Berko! We had a superb night there on Friday 13th April and enjoyed superb service and excellent food at reasonable prices. Try the home made Tomato & Basil soup - Anna claims to chop the onions herself :-) and the Pene Gorgonzola and seafood risotto were excellent! Of course the customary Limoncello went down a treat at the end. Lovely evening and many thanks!!

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Well, OK, other than the usual Pizza Parlours this is the only real Italian restaurant around. But nevertheless it is well worth a visit. We dined early on Friday evening having booked a table at lunchtime. We were welcomed and shown to a table for two. Nice sized table, comfy chairs and subtly candle lit window seat. Our window view was the side of a car parked alongside it. No matter, the service was sharp and our glasses of Chianti arrived promptly. We were studying the menu and so ordered the shared antipasto misto while we pondered our choices. 4 types of meats, cheese, olives and bread on a plank of wood arrived quickly with side plates. Not too big a portion but enough and very tasty. i ordered the Fettuccini Fruti del Mare which promised prawns, calamari, mussels and a spicy tomato sauce. It kept its promise. The food was hot, served in a decent size deep dish and tasted really good. Spicy but not killed by excess chilli. There were good portions of the seafood and the pasta was delicious.

We shared a portion of apple pie and ice cream and finished with coffee. The coffee was disappointing but everything else was very good. The bill came to around £30 a head and I think that it was good value. The clientele seemed to be a very mixed age range from family parties thro young ladies to us old-uns. So, good food, professional and friendly service and the toilets were well appointed and spotless.

1  Thank GloriousGrey