“Good for a roast, poor for a desert”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #39 of 71 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Kings Arms restaurant, bar and rooms is at the heart of Berkhamsted, providing a warm and friendly meeting place and open all day for food, drinks and coffees. A modern British menu flexes throughout the day from breakfast through to dinner.
London, United Kingdom
“Good for a roast, poor for a desert”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I had booked online and upon arrival it was so quiet (on a Sunday afternoon) that we were spoilt for choice on where to sit. We had come here specifically for the roast and it was our first roast dinner at the Kings Arms.

The roast was great in all. The Yorkshire pudding was a bit too crispy and it tasted and felt like it was one from a frozen pack. I had asked for a rare cut of the beef but was assured that the joint itself is rare, however my beef was more like well done with no rare bits visible.

On to the desert. I was quite attracted to the Strawberry Eton Mess. I was so disappointed that I made the waiter take it away. There was only one strawberry which was cut in half on top and no others (menu stated strawberries). There was hardly any whipped cream and it felt like the cream was pouring cream mixed with raspberry coulis which is not originally meant for Eton Mess. Eton Mess is such a simple desert to make and as the restaurant has failed in such a simple tasks dose lower my opinion now of the Kings Arms.

Would I recommend the Kings Arms for a roast? Absolutely.
Would I recommend the Kings Arms for a desert? Absolutely not.

I was surprised that despite two of us who had the Eton Mess sending it back that the waiter did not offer anything in apology. No coffee or drink. He mentioned when the bill was brought over that he hand't charged us for the desert. Well thanks for stating the obvious! Who would pay for a desert they had to send back?

I think the Eton Mess needs to be simplified a lot and unhappy customers need a bit more TLC then what was provided. Apart from that the waiter was fine and the roast was good.

• Visited July 2014
KingsArms147, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hi Luke F,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m very pleased to hear that your enjoyed your roast with us, and let me assure you that our Yorkshire Puddings are prepared fresh from scratch in the kitchens and aren’t from a frozen pack at all.

It’s very disappointing however, to hear that you did not enjoy your desert. Your description of the Eton Mess sounds like it was delivered wrong by the chef and this is something we will definitely look into for you.

I’m sorry too, to hear that you did not receive the high level of service we have come to expect from our staff. If you would like to discuss the issue further, please feel free to get in touch at thekingsarms@oakmaninns.co.uk.

If you come back and visit us again, we would be most interested to hear what you think.
The Kings Arms Team

Sherborne, United Kingdom
“A one night stay for a function”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

A well-established old coaching inn which was taken over and refurbished by a small pub group a couple of years ago. We were staying for a 21st party at the pub so we're staying the night. The room was pleasant - in the courtyard and a long narrow shape. Stylishly decorated although when it came to the bathroom, rather more style than practicality, ie a window that pulled down onto the window sill which was the only place to put things. A large and comfortable bed although quite a lot of late noise from the drinkers outside on a warm might. Breakfast was included and there was good choice - I had the simplest with soya milk porridge, which is not always available in hotels, tho' I did have to ask for the toppings which should have been honey, nuts and bananas, but sadly was a pot of sultanas. Service was not great - little bit slow and a little surly.

• Visited June 2014
KingsArms147, Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hello, thank you very much for your review, we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your room. We try and offer our guests as much as possible with their breakfast and will take your comments on board.

Warm Regards
Madrid, Spain
“Won't be going back for food...”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have lived in Berkhamsted for nearly a year now and often pop into the King's Arms for a drink. A few weeks ago we decided to eat there for the first time and we were very disappointed. The problem wasn't with the staff or the atmosphere (both great) it was the food. I never complain in restaurants but I actually sent my main course back as it was inedible. Before I had even made the complaint the waitress seemed to know what was wrong with the dish, which makes me think that it must happen a lot! No one at our table was happy with their main courses. Overall, there are much better places to eat out in Berkhamsted and we will stick to just going to the King's Arms for drinks.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ljv87
KingsArms147, Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hi. Thank you very much for your review. I would be very intrested to hear what meal you had. If you have the time could you email me at kingsarms@oakmaninn.co.uk, so I can look into it for you. Alternativley you could call me on 01442 866595. All feed back is very imporatnt to us, as it helps us to constintaly improve. We are very happy to hear you enjoy coming in for drinks and look forward to seeing you soon.
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“Great for lunch.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Meet my friend at the Kings Arms for lunch once a week. We don't want anything to heavy, so have either the scotch egg, or Greek salad. All very tasty. Service can be a bit slow sometimes.

• Visited June 2014
KingsArms147, Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear you and your friend enjoy our food, our chefs and team work hard to produce consistantly good food.
We are addressing the slow service!
Watford, England, United Kingdom
“Left hungry - poor service and can't cook a steak.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I had been to the kings arms a few times before and it had generally been good , but this was my first time on a Saturday. As per other reviews , it's clear they don't have enough staff to cope when it's busy , however all was well until our mains. I ordered a rib eye steak which had been over chargrilled and so tasted burnt. I asked for a new one. 15 minutes later and with no steak I went to the kitchen area to see what was happening. My steak had not been started and none of the cooks seemed to know they needed to cook one ! I complained to a manager who promptly replied " I told you that we had a wedding buffet and so you will have to wait". True , I had been told they were doing a large buffet but I hadn't been told that the kitchen had stopped all other food , especially as this was a re-fire due to there error. No offer to cook this quickly or any alternative - just wait. As my friends had finished eating their mains I cancelled my order and so ended the night hungry. In the end they agreed we didn't have to pay for all of our food due to the poor service but only after numerous conversations. I appreciate we all have off days but that is no excuse for such poor service and they way if was handled. I will not be going back. ( It was also evident from other diners that I wasn't the only person returning steaks that night )

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Richard A
Hi Richard,
I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience with us on Saturday 28th June. However, I believe this could be in part due to a breakdown in communication between us.
When I went to your table and stated, " I told you that we had a wedding buffet and so you will have to wait" (or words to that effect), I was merely trying to explain as to why there may have been a slight delay, and that we were working to rectify the problem as soon as possible. I am sorry if you felt that I was not helpful.
On the evening, I hope that the other diners in your party had a more pleasant experience, and that your starter and desert were to your liking. We take pride in the food that we serve, and like to think that we offer an exceptional customer experience, and in this instance, in order to rectify the evening for your party we did refund your food bill. On the evening I believe we did as much as possible to make amends, however, if you believe that there is anything else we could have done, please email us at kingsarms@oakmaninns.co.uk, or come in and have a conversation with a member of our management team.

Kind Regards,