“Good stay”

The Penny Farthing Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Berkhamsted
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I had a good stay at the Penyfarthing, my room was nicely decorated, clean and well equipped. I ate at the restaurant next door which offers a 20% discount when the hotel book a table for you, the food was really nice!

The staff were very pleasant, I had a slight problem with the shower in the morning and they came to fix it straight away.

Good hotel in a good location, would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Penny Farthing Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Perfect for business, comfortable bed, good breakfast and friendly staff. For long term users you can request your favourite room. Lots of places to go and eat out in Berkhamstead, works well for business use and long weekends in the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine but sometimes the stairs can be a bit tricky with a suitcase so I prefer the grou...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Very weird reception service - i was declared 'suspicious' for having booked a double bed for two, when it transpired it was only me. Hotel rooms are a series of doors off the alleyway between the high street and main car park, thus many pissed noisy passer bys walking past at 0130hrs. 4.5 foot double bed with hard mattress. Lastly, £90 per night is robbery - £65/70 would be fair.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank lwillson
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My cousin and I booked a room for one Saturday night as we were attending a function nearby. The receptionist was very friendly, directing us to the free car park (for which you have to drive round the back of the hotel by Waitrose) and booking us a taxi. We had a drink in Cafe Rouge next door before we left and we had understood from the hotel's description that we would also have breakfast there. However, after a good night's sleep in a quiet and comfortable room, we were disappointed to find we had to sit in a 'breakfast room', which was more like a canteen. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I have never seen anything like it. Also there was no continental breakfast as stated, only cereals and/or cooked breakfast, which we did not sample so cannot comment on the food. In view of where you have to go for breakfast, this is an over-priced hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Situated just off the High Street,this hotel is ideally located for any event in Berkhamsted.A quick and friendly check in.A lovely room with air-con,a soft comfy bed and a nice large shower cubicle.Adequate breakfast with plenty of choice.
Free Wi-Fi and free on site car parking.Good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2011

standard hotel with correct rooms & breakfast, but nothing extra-ordinary.
Rooms are rather smallish but decently equipped (with the exception of the bathroom ventilator which sounds more like a 747 engine) and with standard decoration.
Breakfast room rather small and given the fact breakfast is cooked in the same room, you leave the room with the kitchen smell in your clothes.......
Restaurant part of the site but there are definitely better places to have dinner.......

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The cheetah - small, soft, and lent to me by my daughter to keep me company - had snuck under the sheets when I checked out. I called the hotel the next day, and within 24 hours (and without charging me) it was back home where it belonged it.

I suspect there may be a fair number of hotels that would be similarly thoughtful about a child's lost toy. What impressed me most about my stay at the Pennyfarthing was the quality of my night's sleep. My double room, occupied as single, was actually right next to the fire door at the top of the stairs - normally a recipe for slamming doors throughout the night. But the setting on the door-close was so slow and gentle that it always closed an age after I'd been through it, and without a sound.

Combine that with a good comfortable bed, in a bright and attractively furnished room, with no other external noise that I was aware of, and I had that exceptional experience - an uninterrupted night's sleep in a hotel.

Waking fully refreshed, the breakfast was good quality as well, with a good range of choice.

All in all the Pennyfarthing ticked all the boxes of what a good hotel should provide. And it sent my cheetah back too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkhamsted
The Kings Arms
The Watermill Hotel
The Watermill Hotel
#10 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hemel Hempst...
#1 of 10 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to The Penny Farthing Hotel? Share your experiences!