All reviews high street breakfast room car park an open kitchen kings arms comfortable bed full english security barrier free parking was a bonus friendly welcoming staff breakfast was freshly cooked wonderful hotel penny farthing great night's sleep stayed here for one night the grand union canal breakfast was included
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

A real gem of a hotel in the heart of Berkhamstead with onsite parking.
Lovely hotel - clean, modern and tasteful
Friendly welcoming staff
Excellent breakfast
Great location - Would definitely recommend !!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalie F
Oakman I, Manager at The Penny Farthing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Thank you for the direct recommendation - looks like we ticked all of your boxes here!

Please feel free to book with us again in the future.

Benn Kempster

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Booked an overnight stay for my son and his girlfriend who were visiting us at Easter.

Accommodation was fine but the couple were charged 15% of the room rate as a “late checkout” fee without prior warning. Given the checkout cannot have been excessively late - we met for lunch at noon the next day - and there was no evidence of any inconvenience to housekeeping staff this seems unnecessarily punitive. Emailed the hotel with my complaint but they declined to reply.

Hope the quality of service can improve, but will not be recommending for now.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank adamtracey2018

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the charge for ate check out, but our standard Ts & Cs do state this on email confirmation of your booking. We need to ensure that our Housekeeping staff have enough time to properly turn all of the rooms in the building to enable check-in at 3pm.

Kind regards,

Benn Kempster

Reviewed 23 April 2018

Stayed here for one night to attend a wedding near by and had a very lovely stay.
The staff are great and very helpful with local taxis etc., the rooms are quiet and well furnished. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and overall the hotel has a welcoming, relaxed and comfortable feel.
Excellent value.

Parking is free and just a little hard to find the entrance to that as the main street frontage for the hotel is small and you need to go through a car park to get to the hotel access but is not a major problem

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aandj7
Oakman I, Manager at The Penny Farthing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Thank you for the great review of our Hotel!

We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again very soon.

Kindest regards,
The Penny Farthing team

Reviewed 12 April 2018

Stayed there for one night with my baby. They gave me the best room in the hotel, put the cot in and were very helpful with my bags. The lady at reception was very friendly and welcoming. The bathroom was not cleaned very well, certainly the floor. I did not complain at the time but i feel if i did they would have come to clean it. The breakfast was really good and it is quite nice to have the restaurant out of the hotel. The courtyard is pretty. They were very helpful the next day by letting me park a bit longer. All in all a lovely stay at this hotel and would come back.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank vpierron

Thank you for taking your time to leave us your feedback.

All your comments have been taken on board and passed to our housekeeping team.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed breakfast.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kindest regards,
The Penny Farthing team.

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

My son, was having his rugby award evening and I picked the Penny Farthing to stay the night. A very nice hotel situated in the centre of Berkhamsted. My room was clean and warm with a very comfortable bed. Breakfast in the morning was excellent. A wonderful hotel with very nice attentive staff.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Oakman I, Manager at The Penny Farthing Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Hi Richard S,

Thank you for the lovely review, we're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,