“Punches way above expectations”
Review of The Old Mill

The Old Mill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Old Mill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 71 Restaurants in Berkhamsted
Price range: US$13 - US$52
Cuisines: European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Great Fresh Food, Top Quality Beers, Wine and Spirits and cheerful friendly team!
London, United Kingdom
“Punches way above expectations”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had an excellent Saturday lunch at the Old Mill. Had been recommended but has always been busy when we have tried for a table before. We had the mackerel and beetroot starter and I had a fillet steak with hoseradish creme fraiche and beetrootwhich was absolutely to die for, the other half had a rib-eye which he said was excellent. They do the entire menu in small portions for kids which is just brilliant. The service was also excellent with very attentive, helpful staff. It started raining heavily and all the outside diners were brought indoors very quickly while the waiters got soaked which they didn't bat an eyelid at! While not inexpensive I felt that it was very good value for the quality of the offering. We will definitely return.

1 Thank Nikki M
OldMillManager, General Manager at The Old Mill, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Nikki,

Thankyou ever so much for the kind and honest feedback.

We do take pride in serving 'nothing but the good stuff; here at The Old Mill. Our butcher Aubrey Allen has been constantly voted the Uk's best butcher, currently serving the Royal Household too!

I am also please the team did all they could to make your experience memorable. I personally look forward to greeting you in the near future.

Regards

Stefan Pfefferle
Management The Old Mill

London, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Eaten here lots of times - food is always great and service better. Is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Hertfordshire
“Lovely Food”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

It was a very hot evening and the staff were rushed of their feet so taking our order was a bit delayed as was the meal. But aside from that the food was excellent. I had a duck starter which was unusual but very nice and a tasty prawn dish for the main course. My husband and I had gone with two friends and everyone was please with the food.

• Visited July 2014
Tring, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the lovely looking put ready for a good evening. When we were shown our seats we were left to chose our dinner. The menu was tiny then the waitress told us they had ran out of gammon (the only thing I seemed to like!!). we eventually decided on the BBQ share platter. Even though it was 1715 and thee wasn't a lot of people in the restaurant we had to wait over 45 minutes for our food.
Some of the food tastes good but the chef had decided to over pepper all the ribs and chips - way to much I couldn't eat them. Left not feeling satisfied and very disappointed. I would NOT recommend to anyone.

• Visited August 2014
OldMillManager, General Manager at The Old Mill, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Lois 8810,

I am sadened to hear your experience at The Old Mill did no meet your expectations. I was particularly concerned to hear that you were dissapointed with the amount of choice our menu offers. I do feel our menu has a large choice of dishes to choose from, our chefs do always work hard to come up with different specials for ever service to add to the choice of 9 startes and our 14 main courses. I am sorry that nothing else apart from our Free Range Gammon Ribeye appealed to you.

I can only appologise for the huge wait of 45 minutes. This isnt acceptable on any occasion in any establishment and I shall be looking into this. We take feedback very seriously, and I will make sure to build on this negative experience for you and your guests.

We have welcomed our new award winning head chef Sean Austin this week to The Old Mill, and his enthusiasm for food is already shining through.

I can only hope you will choose us again in the near future, and I am confident your experience will not be the same as the last

Regards

Stefan Pfefferle
Management The Old Mill

I do however
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“A breath of Fresh Air”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've been coming here for just under a year, and each time it's been mixed emotions, either service was good and food is ok, or the other way round.
Now at last everything was perfect and spot on!
There seems to be a mixture of new faces around, and what I can say is it's for the better.
We came last night for fish night. If I could sum this up in one word it would be WOW!
Service was fantastic and the food was even better.
We both had the smoked salmon mousse, perfection. Then for mains aspall battered hake and my wife had the soused mackerel. Both dishes were well seasoned and presened. Then to finish summer berry eton mess, a simple desert which so many places just cant pull off, at the mill they can.
In a nut shell, we can't wait to return!