“Ok but should be nowhere near a 4 star”

McWilliam Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I had mixed reviews about this hotel. The hotel itself is very nice, pretty modern with good service on arrival. It is a nice hotel but nowhere near a 4 star, 3 star at most.

The room we stayed in was in business class and it was decent. The main problem was the heat. We had it as cold as possible yet it was constantly like a sauna. The only way to get cold air in was to open the window which meant we had to listen to constant traffic outside from the main road. Sleeping was next to impossible as a result and I came away more tired than when I went and I only went for the rest!

My wife's intentions were to use the sauna facilities. Unfortunately we were told on arrival that there were no vacancies whatsoever over the next 3 days. When I originally rang to confirm the booking, I was told there would be no problem using the facilities and could book on arrival.

Similarly, I had the intention of watching a particular sporting event. I specifically asked staff would it be shown in the hotel bar, as I would have went elsewhere. I came down to watch it and they would not put it on. There was a television available also (with nobody watching) playing a music channel and still it wasn't changed. It was very annoying as I had changed my plans and was unable to see any of it as a result. I should and could have been told originally when I asked and I could have made alternative plans.

The food was fine. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was ok. It was service and not buffet. It was fine. There was a cold buffet with a small selection available also.

We also had a dinner in the hotel restaurant on one of the nights which again was only ok. The only veg available was red cabbage and cauliflower (the only two veg that I cannot stand) and when I asked for an alternative, I was told that was all there was. From what I saw that evening, there were numerous people who questioned the same thing. On another night, we had dinner in the pub which was basic, pretty cheap and nice.

The gym facilities which I used were excellent.

Other than the problem I had with the bar staff, the rest of the staff were very friendly and courteous. We did ask for a bulb to be replaced in the room on numerous occasions and it was not done.

To be perfectly honest, overall I did not enjoy the stay. The heat in the rooms was the main problem. It is not somewhere where I would go back. I can understand how it seems to be pretty popular, but it was not for me.

Room Tip: Try and get one with ac
2  Thank Sneijder24

Reviewed 28 January 2013

This hotel is ok,just ok.stayed there recently and found it a bit grubby.room had a big web string from ceiling light hanging over the tv.the rooms were a bit grubby too.also for a 4* hotel i would expect more than just 5 or 6 tv channels in the room and were only poxy rte and tg4 and the likes.

the staff were really nice and friendly il give them that.one bar man took well over 5 minutes to make a cocktail though.another thing was i was watching the football on the big screen and "check air filter" kept coming up and staying on the screen so i couldnt actually watch the match and i said it to different staff members as it was very frustrating and nobody knew what to do or how to fix it they basically said yeah that happens your going to have to just wait til it goes itself.on food now,

the food was ok,the breakfast was really nice but again the tables and cutlery were grubby and sticky.the sunday roast was nice too but the bar food wasnt great,the panini was the first panini ive ever had that was cold!

the bar was full of older clientele and a country music vibe but the local pubs were good.

the swimming pool had a big scaffolding tower around the edge doing maintainence so didnt even bother going in as it just looked like a kip.overall its ok,not 4* ive seen better kept premier inns but the staff were very nice,overstaffed too i might add!

p.s it seems you can get 2 nights b and b for 99euro all year if you just walk in and get the card over at the info desk with all the leaflets

Room Tip: away from the bar area
2  Thank mister i
Reviewed 27 January 2013

i attended a function here in mc william park hotel on 25th jan 2013, and i thoroughly enjoyed the experience, lovely clean hotel, the night was very well organised and i look forward to returning soon

1  Thank darabrook
Reviewed 24 January 2013

stayed at this hotel on a special meal and overnight stay. great for the price, bar staff and reception staff were very friendly and efficient. One problem we had was, after ordering breakfast we were left 20 minutes for it to arrive, had to remind the staff as people who ordered after us were already served, when it did arrive the scrambled egg was soggy in the middle and dry on the outside, the bacon was also dry as if left under a heat lamp. suggest they return to buffet style self service....room was clean and linen was fresh.

3  Thank whwhughes
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Our family (couple and 3 children - young teenagers) just spent last weekend in the Mc William Park hotel. We really enjoyed every bit of the stay.
The children loved the pool, and they couldnt believe the breakfast - said they never ate as much and so enjoyed the range of food. We ate dinner in the bar and found it extremely good and great value too.
But one thing in particular really impressed me.........we had coffee in the lounge on Sunday morning and the fine young man behind the bar heated up the cups before making the coffee!!!!
What service!
We chose the hotel because of the country music dances and we had a ball dancing the night away.
Well done to all the staff and management. We will be back!

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Stayed here for one night with hubbie, 2 kids and my Mum. Having to pay for towels in the leisure centre is something that I have not encountered in any hotel before. The changing rooms needed a clean. Also some shower gel/shampoo in the leisure centre showers would not go amiss!
Thought bar food was over priced, and we even got charged for a bowl of krispies for my three year old! The breakfast was quite good and was probably the highlight of our stay. The staff were very helpful and courteous. Would not be in a rush back.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Stayed here with 2 kids, service in bar is very poor and the kids food is pricey we ordered burgers (4oz) for the kids and they took one bite and refused to eat anymore! The burgers were bright pink! shocking looking quality and far from a 4 oz beef burger as you could get. The next night we ordered spring rolls as a starter for the kids and it was covered in hot chilli sauce! I just gave up at this stage!! Adult food was fine but overpriced big time, 35€ for a 3 course average meal ! I live in Galway and the better restaurants here dont charge these prices. The pool was fine but changing area is tiny. Having to pay for towels in the leisure centre is a bit much and something I have not encountered in any hotel before. In my opinion this is not a 4 star hotel, not child friendly and I would not return.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremorris
The Western Hotel
Knock House Hotel
Knock House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Knock
Westport Country Lodge Hotel

Been to McWilliam Park Hotel? Share your experiences!